Do-it-all: Tarmac disc vs New SS Evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

5DII

by 5DII

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:20 pm
"Whatever comes in the box" is also true for the Tarmac (and almost every other bikes really), as far as I know Specialized wont send you a free bar and stem if you need different sizes than what comes stock, same for Cannondale... But the shop should be able to order different stem length and angles (stock are -6° but there are -17° too) if you need, narrower or wider bars (or different shape, you can use a SystemSix bar if you prefer more flare, the SS bar has less width difference between the hoods and the drops) to your liking and to get you the fit you want/need.

And I'm with ChiZ01, fully integrated cockpits like on the Addict are a no go to me, way too much trouble for traveling.
Do you feel that shops, as a courtesy, should swap a different size bar/stem of equivalent value at no cost when purchasing a bike at this price?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yes. At least if they want to sell you a premium bike.

I know for a fact if you were dropping that kind of dough on a new Sworks bike - either of the 2 major Specialized dealers in Portland would get you the parts you need for your fit.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Yeah some shops will swap to fit when you buy. It's more a matter of dealing with a nice helpful shop than a bike brand thing.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Ish. Let me know how that works out with your local Raleigh dealer.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

It's going to be a real difficulty for smaller shops in the future though. In the days of standard bars and stems selling the unused kit on would not be a problem. Now it will only fit one bike, perhaps only for a couple of model years, and it is a significant cost which shops won't be able to absorb. I'm not saying it's right, but it is something the manufacturers could do more to help with.

slashy

by slashy

@ Dan Gerous

I found the dimensions of the systemsix KNOT bar on the cannondale website. if you have them can you share the ones for the supersix version (did not even realize they are different)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

petromyzon wrote:It's going to be a real difficulty for smaller shops in the future though. In the days of standard bars and stems selling the unused kit on would not be a problem. Now it will only fit one bike, perhaps only for a couple of model years, and it is a significant cost which shops won't be able to absorb. I'm not saying it's right, but it is something the manufacturers could do more to help with.
^This. Unless the manufacturers are willing to exchange the swapped integrated system parts free of charge with the dealer, I wouldn’t be putting the blame on any dealer for not doing this.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

All this integration might look amazing at best. Not sure i would like it in the end.
Handlebar/ stem combo, you can't even angle the bar. If your HT/fork angle is 72.5 or 73.5 the angle is what it is :(
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

cerro

by cerro

wheelsONfire: You can change the angle on a SystemBar, same with Specialized Venge, in some way Cervelo S5 and I think also with the new Trek Madone.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

cerro wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 pm
wheelsONfire: You can change the angle on a SystemBar, same with Specialized Venge, in some way Cervelo S5 and I think also with the new Trek Madone.
That's positive. But those two piece bar/stem combos won't do that (maybe slightly off topic?)
I aim at those from Pro, Ritchey, Vision aso...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

slashy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm
@ Dan Gerous

I found the dimensions of the systemsix KNOT bar on the cannondale website. if you have them can you share the ones for the supersix version (did not even realize they are different)
I haven't come across the specific dimensions for the Evo's SAVE bars, but while the SystemSix KNØT bars have a 3cm difference from the hood to the end of the drop (a 40cm bar is 38cm at the hoods, 41cm at the drops for exemple), the Evo's SAVE bars don't have much flare if any. Assuming they are measured like other regular Cannondale road bars that have no flare and compact geometry, the measured width would be center to center at the end and hoods... but that's just assumption, same with the reach and drop, it's probably close to the 80x125mm of the KNØT but I'm not 100% sure. The Evo's SAVE bars are available from 36cm to 44cm in 2cm increments. Both the -6° and -17° stems are available from 80mm to 120mm in 10mm increments.

grnrcr

by grnrcr

In case it's helpful for anyone, Cannondale support confirmed 56cm bike comes with 100mm KNOT stem and 42cm bars.

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

Dan Gerous wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:34 am
Yeah some shops will swap to fit when you buy. It's more a matter of dealing with a nice helpful shop than a bike brand thing.
yep. my LBS does a fit with me and will swap everything if necessary. Basically, if the bike comes with an 'aftermarket' sale-able part, I can swap and pay the difference.
For example, buy a Tarmac and swap the Roval wheels for a set of ENVEs, and they will just charge me the difference. If I have a set of wheels already, they'll pull the wheels and take their "in-house" cost off the total price

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

^Wow. Which LBS do you use?
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)