Drink Whey protein after a ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AGB

by AGB

skyliner1004 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 am
i was mainly asking because i want to lose fat, but build muscle. When i was working out at the gym, i always had a scoop or 2 of protein in water/milk after a workout as my meal.

the ironic thing is that i just got back from an evening HH with friends, had 2 beers, 1 shot, 1 glass of whiskey, then a Chik Fil A sandwich. Came home and since i love my bike so much went on an 11 mile ride. Haha. i was so bloated.
What I did to lose 0.5kg per week of fat & maintain muscle (dropped 5kgs in under 3months) was to follow the Tim Ferriss (4-hour body book).....funny title but the book is full of scientifically proven body hacks. Basically unlimited meat/green veges + low glycemic carbs (red beans , black beans etc) (no dairy or fruits or breads) - 6 days per week then 1day/week go mega and eat anything/everything unlimited then back to 6 day program......very effective..I eat like this most of the year and it's become part of my lifestyle....lean all-year round....good for climbing.
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.00kg sans - WinSpace Hyper 50mm wheel upgrade

nycebo

by nycebo

From Iron Magazine:

MYTH: It’s necessary to have a protein shake post-workout
While the body can absorb a liquid much faster than a whole food item that would need to get broken down first, you don’t NEED a protein shake post-workout. You can just as easily sit down and have a regular whole food meal if you wish. And if you ate prior to your workout, those nutrients are still getting absorbed and shuttled throughout the body anyway so there really isn’t a need to take in something immediately following a workout. You should, however, make sure you drink plenty of water following your workout to ensure you replace what you sweat out in the gym.

Unless you consume a protein shake with many ingredients, more than likely you aren’t going to feel full after you down your shake. If this describes how you feel after consuming a shake, consider changing to a post-workout meal. It will fill you up and help you feel satiated longer. If you choose a lean protein source and healthy vegetables or other healthy carbohydrate sources, you’ll be more than good to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schlafen

by schlafen

Bro science level: 99
Your best option is to pay a gym coach whatever he/she/it charges for 1 training session and you will get training and diet advice to meet YOUR goals. Everyone reacts differently to training and diet changes.
It'll be the best $/€/£/¥ 50 you'll ever spend, or whatever they charge nowadays.
The coach may even advise for free if he thinks that you may join the gym.
This approach will save you time, money and headaches down the road.
When your health is at stake, leave it to the pros.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

c60rider

by c60rider

The phrase that's used a lot is fuel for the work to be done ie fuel up prior to a ride but unless you're training hard day after day then there's unlikely to be a need to fuel up immediately after a ride. Protein should be taken throughout the day typically every 2-3 hours a 20g hit. 2.5g+ per kilo of bodyweight is what I've read a lot about so 70kg rider = 175g protein. 20g at a time is 8 plus times per day. That's where protein drinks come in for me to have as that snack between meal times. Any more is not likely to benefit you at that time. Carbs are your fuel, not really needed immediately after unless emptying the tanks the next day. A lot of work on all this has been done by James Morton who's nutritionist at sky/ineos and sponsored by SiS. There's this video where he talks specifically about protein https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWrvVvK5U4k but there's plenty of research papers out there to search if you really want to get into it.