Rim tape recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

Any recommendation on clincher rim tape for 18mm internal width rims? My previous wheels were all stock so came with manufacturers tapes, now looking for set-and-forget and reasonably lightweight options for some custom wheels. Thanks.

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

I will go Stans tubeless rim tape, light and durable. The 21mm width one would fit.
2018 Sworks Tarmac SL6 - 7.2kg
2017 Colnago C60 - 6.29kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

One wrap of the 21mm tape, on both wheels, comes in at around 13g for the pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

biwa

by biwa

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 am

You sure only one wrap/layer is needed? Quote from Stan's: "When running less than 45psi a single wrap of tape is neccasary, when running greater than 45psi a double wrap of tap is required".

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

biwa wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:10 am
FIJIGabe wrote:

You sure only one wrap/layer is needed? Quote from Stan's: "When running less than 45psi a single wrap of tape is neccasary, when running greater than 45psi a double wrap of tap is required".

That’s for tubeless. Are you running tubeless?

biwa

by biwa

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:22 am
biwa wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:10 am
FIJIGabe wrote:

That’s for tubeless. Are you running tubeless?
Nope, so one layer sufficient for clinchers only?

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

biwa wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:15 am
Nope, so one layer sufficient for clinchers only?
I wonder if it is the choice of tape ? if you get a normal (non-tubeless tape), I reckon one layer might be sufficient.
The reason for stans tubeless tape is that it is kind of "thin", so, it might not be able to with stand the pressure of road tyres (I run at 90psi).

If the rim tape is not strong enough, you will see spoke hole mark on your inner tube.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I’ve been running one layer of Stan’s on my 404’s for years, and have never experienced any sort of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:11 pm
I’ve been running one layer of Stan’s on my 404’s for years, and have never experienced any sort of issues.

Tubeless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

No, with tubes. My original comment was for riding with tubes. If riding tubeless, then two wrappings per wheel, which would be less than 30g (I ran my 303’s tubeless, for years).

c60rider

by c60rider

Personally, and always my first choice when I went for some new custom wheels for my old steel bike, were old fashioned velox rim tapes. Cheap and they come in different widths now to suit wider rims.

Marin

by Marin

With modern rims and tires, using cloth tape can make mounting hard or even impossible.

froze

by froze

c60rider wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 pm
Personally, and always my first choice when I went for some new custom wheels for my old steel bike, were old fashioned velox rim tapes. Cheap and they come in different widths now to suit wider rims.
I agree, Velox cloth tape is the standard, but don't use cloth tape with latex tubes (or tubeless because it's not airtight) because the tape will, overtime, grab onto the tape and you could rip the tube when you try to remove it. I also wouldn't go to a 21mm tape if your current tape is 18mm, the wider tape will make more tires a pain to install, I did say more tires, not all tires, anyway you want the tape to be just wide enough so that it covers the holes. If you want to be cheap, Gorilla clear (not the black stuff) tape works great as does Scotch Film strapping tape 8898 (Scotch Film tape 8898 is smooth thus it's great to use with latex tubes), but you do have to cut to width. Electrical tape is cheap too but it can leave a gooey mess when you go to remove it. The other option is Velocity plugs, but unless those fit tight into your holes they will fall out when trying to change a flat, but they are the lightest option by far. Stans is good tape but it's more for tubeless rims and tires, it's designed to make an airtight seal, and most people agree to use two layers with clinchers.

If you are thinking Velocity plugs because their light, there is a trick you can do to keep the plugs in place, simply cut a small piece of Scotch Film tape 8898 just big enough so it overlaps the plug and sticks to the rim, this will keep the plugs from falling out.

hannawald

by hannawald

Schwalbe tubeless tape, one layer is enough even for tubeless which makes it the lightest option.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod160519

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

hannawald wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:40 pm
Schwalbe tubeless tape, one layer is enough even for tubeless which makes it the lightest option.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod160519
Right, but the OP said he has clinchers, which from all that I read requires two layers of tubeless tape, and it's not necessary to use that tape for clinchers since there's no need to make the spoke holes airtight.