Colnago concept - best in the world?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

Well probably not the best, but I've seen very little about this bike on the aero front. It doesn't seem to be included much in reviews. So what's this like? On a personal note I'm a Colnago fan and like the look of it :D

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Bring pop corn

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, that’s an interesting concept that could be considered.
XCProMD, is that popcorn buttered?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

moonoi

by moonoi

Probably not, but I like mine and it puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it...something the Canyon Aeroad and Madone 9 Series I had before it didn't...I've found my Aerobike Nirvana ;)
IMG_20190328_174237_785.jpg

Wookski

by Wookski

I doubt that frame has come within a kilometre of a wind tunnel :lol:

moonoi

by moonoi

Wookski wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am
Agreed :lol: sure looks nice though

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Calnago wrote:Ha, that’s an interesting concept that could be considered.
XCProMD, is that popcorn buttered?
Aerobuttered

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

TimF

by TimF

moonoi wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:48 am
Wookski wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am
Agreed :lol: sure looks nice though
Given the marketting it has done a lot of wind tunnel testing. It would be madness for Colnago to release a bike that simply looks nice at this price. Imagine the manufacturers conversation, "Let's not bother testing the aero design, just make it look cool". I don't think so!
What the performance looks like measured against other manufacturers I'm not sure :mrgreen:

TimF

by TimF

moonoi wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:21 am
Probably not, but I like mine and it puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it...something the Canyon Aeroad and Madone 9 Series I had before it didn't...I've found my Aerobike Nirvana ;)

What makes it better than those two? Nice bike!

moonoi

by moonoi

TimF wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 am
moonoi wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:21 am

What makes it better than those two? Nice bike!
It rides very closely to my old C60, it just has the right amount of feedback that inspires confident riding...the Aeroad was too unforgiving and the Madone 9 felt a bit dead in comparison and I personally didn't have the same confidence to corner fast on it, neither of them made me want to go out ride them.

robeambro

by robeambro

It's surely bling, a pure looker.. But probably -due to lack of extensive (if any) wind tunnel testing- as aero as a Tarmac/R5/new Izalco, and much heavier. Wouldn't think of it as the most marvellous piece of engineering ever, but depends on what you're looking for..

moonoi

by moonoi

For weight it's about the same as any other current generation aero roadbike, mine comes in at 7.9Kg for a 56s which I think is pretty good considering it's the disc version as well, so has a penalty just for that.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

It's a fast bike. I've had one since early last summer and been racing on it quite a bit. I have a predilection for Colnagos but I'm not a fanboy so if it didn't cut the mustard I'd get rid. As moonoi points out it also has a big enough slice of the lugged frames' ride quality to be worthy of the marque, and certainly better in this regard than other aero bikes I've tested. It's not that heavy either; mine comes in at 7.4kg with SR EPS, Bora 50 clinchers, a Power2Max and R41 bars/stem. With tubs and a normal chainset it's barely over 7kg. From what I've heard, the pros seem to like them.

mattr

by mattr

TimF wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 am
Given the marketting it has done a lot of wind tunnel testing. It would be madness for Colnago to release a bike that simply looks nice at this price.
That's the whole point of many of these boutique brands. Market the frame as hard as you can, leverage the brand image, mark the price up until the pips squeak. It's probably included in one of the early course documents in a Marketing Diploma, not quite Marketing 101, but maybe 103 or 4.

TimF wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 am
Imagine the manufacturers conversation, "Let's not bother testing the aero design, just make it look cool". I don't think so!
I know so. Many manufacturers make completely spurious claims, except to J. Public they are impossible to prove, you need a huge array of test equipment and millions of Euros.

FWIW a lot of these current aero bikes *look* like they've been designed by reading a load of text books. Intrinsically nothing wrong with that, but you do need to validate a design that complex.

Senna993

by Senna993

Canyon Aeroad unforgiving? I find mine to be smooth smooth smooth. Great on 50+ mile rides. My Divo ST?
Now that’s a different story...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com