What’s your favorite saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guyc

by guyc

Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:32 am
guyc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:05 pm
This SQLab saddle is just brilliant.
I'm planning on trying the SQLab Ergowave 612 Active soon. Someone mentioned BIGGRIDE in Australia, funnily I just ordered the fitting kit from them.

What do you sit bones measure at? I have had mine measured on an Ass-o-meter at 100mm - I don't really want to order anything to wide as I have found wider seats uncomfortable in the past. e.g. the Fizik Aliante - the wings just dug into my thighs.
Mine are just over 130mm and I went for the 150mm (as Mr Gib says above they suggest going for the widest you need as slightly too wide is better than slightly too narrow). 100mm would suggest a 12cm version which is damn narrow but if that's where you are....

See what the fitting kit says (also to be honest you can measure them easily enough with any sort of card etc.)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Selle SMP for me, tilted down about 5 degrees. Right now I’m using a Glider, but I’m looking at the Blaster or Nymber for the Madone. Other saddles end up causing friction on the soft bits on my left side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Schadenfreude wrote:
guyc wrote:
This SQLab saddle is just brilliant.
I'm planning on trying the SQLab Ergowave 612 Active soon. Someone mentioned BIGGRIDE in Australia, funnily I just ordered the fitting kit from them.

What do you sit bones measure at? I have had mine measured on an Ass-o-meter at 100mm - I don't really want to order anything to wide as I have found wider seats uncomfortable in the past. e.g. the Fizik Aliante - the wings just dug into my thighs.
That was me. Just ordered my fitting kit to. If this saddle suits me well then unfortunately I'll have 5 Berk saddles gathering dust. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

EDIT :oops:

SSM Aspide SuperLeggera, tilted to around 5º. Have two of them (104 & 106g).

Tried the Pro Vibe Stealth Carbon, liked it but obviously a very different saddle.

I'm looking to buy a Berk Dila for my next bike, but have the spare SSM just in case.
Last edited by ryanw on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kgt

by kgt

Aspide SuperLeggera is Selle San Marco and SSM is not SMP

maxice

by maxice

guyc wrote:
Just back from a nice 45 miler, albeit a windy one.

This SQLab saddle is just brilliant. The Mimic was good but didn't allow me to move enough. This one does, and it's comfy everywhere. There's no sense of the pelvis rocking but that elastomer just makes the pelvis feel more flexible. I've moved it forward 3mm and angled the nose up a .5 degree more and that's where I need it. The hammock effect is sooooo good when you slide back onto the shelf. No rubbing, soreness, undue pressure on the sitbones and absolutely zero numbness or pressure on the perineum.

Just brilliant.
Hows it compare to your old saddle as considering one of these on my C64 also

guyc

by guyc

An order of magnitude better. Just back from another ride on it and I honestly can't praise it enough. For me this design is perfect. I don't notice the saddle at all when I'm riding.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I used to be super sensitive about saddle choice. Then I started working for ASSOS and realised I'm not.

That said, all of my bikes for the last 15 years (there abouts) have had Selle Italia SLRs - the Wattbike and the Brompton though have what they came with.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Now that guyc and RTW are lined up above, I should note that not only is SQ Lab 612 Ergowave in size 15 the only saddle I can ride, I also must be wearing Assos bibshorts. Only this combination makes riding possible for me. It's nothing to celebrate, I have some real problems when it comes to sitting on a bike and I am just thankful I found a combination that works for me.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kgt

by kgt

A high quality bib short is important but a saddle that fits is much more important, no doubt about that.

TimF

by TimF

Everything in this thread tells me to buy SQLab. Price in the UK is very high though :(

Quick q. I've tried all of these sit bone measurements, these seem to be all over the place. Some sitting upright, others attempting to get in a ride position with a skateboard. My results vary by CM's so aren't helping. What is the most effective way to measure this (outside of going to a shop)? I've done the A4 paper over a wet paper towl and cardboard!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There is no such thing as best bib shorts. I have 4 brands hanging here. The cheaper Pearl Izumi hammer Castelli on SSM Mantra FX. I've been flipping shorts like crazy here, but damn, always best with the P.I.
Other saddles, other shorts. But to me, Castelli Free Aero chamois is too fat. A pity i have 3 pairs and Sorpasso to :-(
Sportful Total Comfort = even worse...

Testing bibs and/ or saddles should be judged as a combo, not solo. It's far to complex.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TimF

by TimF

A secondary question for those posting (less important than the last ones). Can you please include your riding style and position? I believe from reading a fair bit that this makes a significant difference. Those who are on the drops a lot differ from those who ride upright.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TimF wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm
Everything in this thread tells me to buy SQLab. Price in the UK is very high though :(

Quick q. I've tried all of these sit bone measurements, these seem to be all over the place. Some sitting upright, others attempting to get in a ride position with a skateboard. My results vary by CM's so aren't helping. What is the most effective way to measure this (outside of going to a shop)? I've done the A4 paper over a wet paper towl and cardboard!
SQ Lab kit is just a piece of cardboard. Width of saddle, according to SQ Labs pends partly on your posture.
What do i mean, well, how much do you lean forward. The more upright, the wider you could use according to SQ Labs.
I have a 140mm 611 Ergowave here. But i don't like these saddles. Their bib shorts are better for me.
If you are interested in the saddle, send PM.

https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/en/Saddles/ ... arbon.html
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TimF

by TimF

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:01 pm
TimF wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm

SQ Lab kit is just a piece of cardboard. Width of saddle, according to SQ Labs pends partly on your posture.
What do i mean, well, how much do you lean forward. The more upright, the wider you could use according to SQ Labs.
I have a 140mm 611 Ergowave here. But i don't like these saddles. Their bib shorts are better for me.
If you are interested in the saddle, send PM.

https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/en/Saddles/ ... arbon.html
I move around a fair bit but spend a fair time on the drops when on the flat, not just downhill. I understand the more upright you are the wider you go. I'd probably like to go for a saddle that's wider so I can be comfortable in all scenarios. I am usually upright on steep climbs. I guess from this recomendation is to measure when upright?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com