Does tubeless make sense with 23mm tyres?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Orlok

by Orlok

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:57 pm
Orlok wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:10 pm
I didn't mention tubeless compatable rims, so you should not even know that the Pro One 23mm on C13 rims mesure 20 width.! :)
Wow, not only you use 23c tubeless at high pressure on 13mm rim width.
But you do so on non-tubeless compatible rim too?

Okay, KUDO for going way out of safety spec.
Thanks, but what safety specs do you mean.? I'm curious to know.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

There isn't really a concrete rules (just as all tubeless specs thare are as clear as mud right now).

It's a general concensus from multiple places that ghetto tubeless (convert non-tubeless rim to be tubeless) works very well in MTB because of it's relatively low pressure.
Road tubeless are safest runs with native tubeless compatible rims. Manufacturers also warn about it.
Using tubeless wide tires on non-tubeless rims is already a grey area of hit or miss.
Using tubeless narrow tires on narrow non-tubeless which leads to real high pressure is greyer area.

there is also a quote in here about converting non-tubeless to tubeless:
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/an-endl ... cle-tyres/

Marin

by Marin

He's probably using inner tubes.

Orlok

by Orlok

Marin wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:28 am
He's probably using inner tubes.
After a real flat tubeless tire, yeah. :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

Jugi

by Jugi

Hexsense wrote:There isn't really a concrete rules (just as all tubeless specs thare are as clear as mud right now).

It's a general concensus from multiple places that ghetto tubeless (convert non-tubeless rim to be tubeless) works very well in MTB because of it's relatively low pressure.
Road tubeless are safest runs with native tubeless compatible rims. Manufacturers also warn about it.
Using tubeless wide tires on non-tubeless rims is already a grey area of hit or miss.
Using tubeless narrow tires on narrow non-tubeless which leads to real high pressure is greyer area.
Recently GPLama condensed his (and mine) tubeless experience into a 14min video. He doesn't go into ghetto tubeless, tubeless-ready and tubeless, but the general message is the same. Details decide how installation goes and experience may vary tremendously between different rims and tires. Even tires age (new, slightly used or used) has an effect.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/JzOebWnHtNI[/YOUTUBE]

upacs

by upacs

I'm running Schwalbe Pro One 23mm on some Flo carbon wheels. 80psi at the back, 60psi at the front. From my experience, yes

Zero punctures, smoother rolling (probably due to slightly lower pressure, used to be 90/70). Still carry a tube just in case, unless it's a race.

Installing it was a total b!tch though, until I got the hang of it.

Riding buddy also runs 23mm tubeless, he convinced me to switch after he eliminated his punctures from roughly one per month to zero (same tyres). He does not baby his tyres though, he regularly goes through gravel paths on racing tyres (!!!)

MNX1024

by MNX1024

You guys are going to have to tell me what sealant you're using with your Schwalbe Pro One?! Mine just keeps getting punctures that will not seal! Regardless if it's big or microscopic punctures.... It may temporarily seal up, but after some riding or adding air, the seal goes away and my sealant just gushes out.... Getting new punctures or re-opening old one pretty much after every ride... It's gotten to the point where I want to just toss out my current Schwalke Pro One, and the new ones I have that isn't used yet.....

P.S. I've been using Stan's Tire Sealant.

peted76

by peted76

Stans' Version 1 (the mtb stuff) is useless for road tyre pressures.

I think they've got a new version of it out now, but I've not tried it.

I've used a lot and my fav is Bontrager TLR, which IMO seals best at higher pressures. I've got some Orange seal stuff and it's alright.. the Bontrager stuff is best IMO.
Having used a few different ones over the years, I'm VERY nervous about trying out some of the new ones on the market.. I have one that works well, there's no need for me to be a guinea pig for sealant any more.

Jugi

by Jugi

Stan's regular has worked just fine for me on Schwalbe Pro Ones (25 and 28mm), but it has limitations because of it's original intended use. I wouldn't trust it to stand up to pressures over 70psi.