Which fork for my scapin steel frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Athena2013

by Athena2013

Hi!
Last year i got a 20 old scapin steel bike. I worked to change components from old ultegra 8s to modern campagnolo Atena/super record 11s. I also change seatpost, seaddle, Stem, handlebar and OG course the wheelset. Now i would ride 25 or 28 mm clinchers but the fork hasnt enought clearence for these tires size... the solution is get another fork! I cant decide if go for a custom steel one from a framebuilder or get a culumbus minimal. The head tube is 1”...so the market doesnt offer lot of coiches. What do you guys suggest?
Attachments
BD363442-357E-4BA9-8D87-4B348C10FD8D.jpeg

Miller

by Miller

Nice! In the early noughties I had a similar bike, a Scapin Eos Pro. The originally-supplied fork on that was a Wound Up, an industrial looking thing, but the steerer tube became loose and I replaced it with a Look HSC. No idea what you can get now but you probably can't go too wide on tyres as you'll be limited by clearance at the chainstays or seatstays. Good luck.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Its a TIG welded frame. So a carbon fork will look OK. For a lugged steel frame, you have to use a lugged steel fork. But with TIG you can use a sloped no crown fork. Given how many other colors are on the frame, I'd suggest getting a painted fork. Not black. Black will look awful with a yellow, red, white frame. The current bright blue fork looks good with the colors on the frame.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

You'll get more clearance for larger tyres with a steel fork, as the depth of the fork crown from the crown race seat to the underside of the crown will be less. I replaced the Wound-Up fork in one of my frames, which wouldn't even fit a 25mm tyre, with a Rivendell Carbonomas steel fork, same axle centre to crown race height, and I can now fit a Challenge Strada Bianca (nominal 30mm, actually measures a bit over 31mm). But the Carbonomas is only available with 1-1/8" steerer. Condor make a 1" threadless steel road fork: https://www.condorcycles.com/collection ... hrome-fork. Not sure who else does.

Athena2013

by Athena2013

Thank you guys for your help!
About the rear part of the bike it has enought space to run 25-28 mm rubbers.
Buon the way i’ll go for a custom steel fork painted with the same blues of the actual one. I wont save weight but i’ll keep the steel feeling while riding.
As soon as i get it i’ll put new pics... with a new head set also!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Athena2013

by Athena2013

Miller wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:34 pm
Nice! In the early noughties I had a similar bike, a Scapin Eos Pro. The originally-supplied fork on that was a Wound Up, an industrial looking thing, but the steerer tube became loose and I replaced it with a Look HSC. No idea what you can get now but you probably can't go too wide on tyres as you'll be limited by clearance at the chainstays or seatstays. Good luck.

Thanks Miller, nice bike!👍 just checked the frame with a 28mm tire in a Mavic cosmos and it works!!!!😁