Is this Di2 setup optimal up-front?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kimmetje

by kimmetje

Hello,

Newcomer to the forums and looking forward to being more connected to the community. First question, and a technical one at that! I am hoping people familiar with Shimano's Di2 system can help me out. I'm trying to come up with the cleanest setup for my bike up front. I am satisfied with how it's routed in the back. For reference, it's an Orbea Orca Aero Disc (size 55).

At the moment I have an external Junction A stuck underneath the bar-stem which I would like to move to the frame internally since it can cater for an EW-RS910 junction there. I also have a Wireless Unit EW-WU111 which I wasn't able to place due to a missing cable :noidea: .

My thinking was when I next bring my bike to the local bike shop for maintenance to ask them to optimise the setup. I was hoping someone could confirm or correct my setup to make sure it works well:

Have the levers connected via an EW - JC130 junction (the 1 x 450 mm, 1 x 350 mm dimension one), route them through my 420mm Ursus Magnus H.01 integrated handlebar which has internal wiring, and then route that inside the Orbea Orca frame to connect to the EW-WU111 inside the frame rather than outside, and then connect that via a 150mm cable to the EW-RS910 in-frame.

Is that set-up correct or do you think I am missing a trick?

Thanks for your help!

kimmetje

L3X

by L3X

Hey Kimmetje, welcome to the forum and great 1st post!

Your suggested setup is fine, doesn't really matter how you connect the pieces inside the frame. Basically as long as everything is connected in some way it works as intended, no matter which parts you connect directly with others. Most straightforward is:
-Connect the shifters to each other via the 3 way cable, or connect the left shifter to the right one directly and one of them back into the frame (so 2 cables total)
-Connect wire coming from the handlebars to the bluetooth unit (EW-WU111)
-Connect bluetooth unit to the 4 port junction
-Connect front derailleur/rear derailleur/battery to the 4 port junction

So that's basically what you proposed already :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kimmetje

by kimmetje

Hello L3X,

Thank you so much and thanks for the response too! :) - Cool, I will get my shopping list ready then! This Di2 stuff isn't cheap!

--- Any thoughts on whether the lengths I'm thinking are sufficient or overkill? I'm even wondering if I could even go for the shorter EW-JC130 junction (350mmx250mm).

Kimmetje

jencvo

by jencvo

kimmetje wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:27 pm
Hello L3X,

Thank you so much and thanks for the response too! :) - Cool, I will get my shopping list ready then! This Di2 stuff isn't cheap!

--- Any thoughts on whether the lengths I'm thinking are sufficient or overkill? I'm even wondering if I could even go for the shorter EW-JC130 junction (350mmx250mm).

Kimmetje
Hey, you still looking for help with this?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

FYI : Wu111 is recommended to be outside of the frame by shimano... although I've never had an issue with the current or previous model being inside the seat tube.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

It works fine inside the frame....done so for years on my carbon frames.

Don't forget that you'll need access to the 910 for charging so don't accidentally bury it!