Chinese steel frame project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

hi, relatively new to the forum. This will be my first time building a bike. I currently ride a Tarmac, mostly on my trainer. I have been toying with the idea of getting a durable steel bike to put on my trainer and do occasional short grocery errands.

My current buildlist is:

Frame:
Chinese 4135 Cr-MO Steel frameset size 56, polished/silver, 1720g
Chinese Carbon fork, silver, 350g,
Chinese Headset (comes with the frame)

Groupset:
Sram rival 10 speed groupset 2300g

Others:
Brooks b17 saddle, 460g
Cinelli cork tape, 83g

Wheelset
DTSwissr460 clincher / Bora clincher
Veloflex master gum wall
Standard Continental tubes

TBD:
Seatpost
Stem
Handlebar

I'm trying to get my build at around 9-9.5kg. Aesthetics wise I'm debating if I should go with silver stem, handleabr seatpost or black color.

Still waiting for my frameset to ship and will post updates on this when it arrives.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saverin

by saverin

Yes! I've been waiting for someone to take the plunge on something like this so I don't have to be the guinea pig. Where did you order the frame from, if you don't mind me asking?

2lo8

by 2lo8

Report back on alignment and plating quality if you can. I had a different brazed Chinese steel frame pass through my hands and the quality was awful with bad plating, gaps in brazing and badly filed dropout slots from the factory, presumably to fix alignment issues. Listed vs actual weight was also completely inaccurate, unlike many products direct from China.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

saverin wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 pm
Yes! I've been waiting for someone to take the plunge on something like this so I don't have to be the guinea pig. Where did you order the frame from, if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah I thought about getting something locally made here in NorCal but I did not want blow up my budget for my trainer bike. Used was another option but I could not find many in good condition.

I ordered from this ebay link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-CR-MO-S ... 2508601873

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

2lo8 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 pm
Report back on alignment and plating quality if you can. I had a different brazed Chinese steel frame pass through my hands and the quality was awful with bad plating, gaps in brazing and badly filed dropout slots from the factory, presumably to fix alignment issues. Listed vs actual weight was also completely inaccurate, unlike many products direct from China.
Will do.

This is my first ever bike related purchase directly from China. This whole buying direct from China thing is known to be a hit or miss, so I did some Chinese forum search (I'm a Mandarin/Chinese speaker) on this particular brand I ordered on ebay. It seems to be one of the more known entry level steel frame builders in China. But again most of Chinese frame exports are carbon so not many data points can be collected on this frameset in the States.

Marin

by Marin

Interested!

DJT21

by DJT21

Wonder how it'll ride? At 1720g and a tubeset that doesn't look very OS, I can imagine it'll be quite comfy.

euan

by euan

I mean, they are straight up lying about the weight. That will be closer to 2000g if not over. Also that frame is going to rust so quickly with you sweating all over it

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I’m curious to here about the quality from that company also. I was looking at one of their aluminum fixed gear/single speed framesets on eBay.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

Marin

by Marin

euan wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:53 am
I mean, they are straight up lying about the weight. That will be closer to 2000g if not over. Also that frame is going to rust so quickly with you sweating all over it
Their aluminum models seem to come in under the quoted weight, see their Aliexpress listings. I generally have very good experiences with specs from Chinese sellers, except for obvious errors. I also don't see why it should rust quicker than any other plated frame.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Spray on wax polish will help enormously in keeping rust at bay.

Application of marine grease to the various cable contact points will a great deal too.

And not to forget, the rust proofing stuff for the internals such as JP Weigle spray or its equivalent stuff for marine applications.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marine+ ... 39&bih=819

Those were the typical things we did in the old days of riding steel frames in humid climates.

euan

by euan

A chromoly frame in that size is generally going to be 1900. Even a Road Logic in an equivilent size is around that weight and its a more compact frame than this. Especially if this has been chrome plated as they claim.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have several steel frames.

Sannino size 58cm in Columbus genius 1630g

Pinarello stelvio 58cm Ken's tubing weight 2000g

Traitor exile some jap double butted tubing weight 2200g size 59cm

Carlton kermese 501 tubing weight 2200g

So a cheap Chinese frame will be at least 2000g

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

Frame arrived today but the headtube was somewhat damaged during shipping.

I contacted the seller but they havent replied back. At the mean I took the frame to lbs and the mechanic/owner hammered it back to round shape and got the headset installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

Ok the important stuff. I dont have good scale and this is what my amazon scale reads ImageImage

1840g for the frame
340g for the fork

Looks pretty good actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com