New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 am
50ml of sealant is 100% reasonable. The real crime was not having a normal tube or 25mm tire like any normal bike would have.

Giving up a 1.2w of resistance per pair on a bike roller vs a latex bike tube is no big deal. Saving ~3w per pair over a GP4k is a big deal.

50mL is completely unnecessary. I use 30mL in 28mm tires measuring >30mm. If I puncture a couple times I top it off with another 10mL. I just pulled the old worn tires off a wheelset I haven't touched since March or April, there was still liquid Orange Seal in there.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 am
All my sidewall cuts were well within life expectancy of the tread, making it a non-factor. 200 miles, 500 miles, etc.
It's not just you. I have had a GP4K get cut on the sidewall with less than 100mi on a new tire. But I attribute that to bad luck, not because the sidewalls are fragile. Year-to-date I have logged 12,985mi, all road miles and zero trainer miles, and only had one cut sidwall. And that cut happend on the tandem, on the rear tire, and after we had just crossed a railroad track.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 pm
If you notice GP4K sidewalls, although they are black, the protective rubber coating over the nylon threads is minimal. Maybe that 3x110tpi construction method isn’t the greatest either.
Exactly. It's so thin and it probably contributed a sidewall breakage at the mould boundary on sidewall on my 25c GP4KS2.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

From experience 30ml is not enough. The good year tyres I tried absorb 35g of sealant. between that ( there was no latex coating the tyre so itust be in the tyre) there was none left to seal punctures. I put 40ml in.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

From experience 30ml is not enough. The good year tyres I tried absorb 35g of sealant. between that ( there was no latex coating the tyre so itust be in the tyre) there was none left to seal punctures. I put 40ml in.

dvq

by dvq

I'll try a set of gp5000 in 28mm when I can get my hands on them but I'm not holding my breath. For years I believed the internet cult worship of GP4000s and just kept buying them even though 75% of them never made it past 800 mi. Every single one died of a sidewall puncture. On one occasion friend installed a brand new set before a ride and 3 blocks from his house, sidewall puncture. We'll see...

dvq

by dvq

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:19 pm
I use 50ml personally just because I'd like to be able to get a weeper of a puncture and still not refill for a bit. I've also tried 10 different tubeless road tires now and haven't seen any of them soak up sealant like that. Is that just the Goodyear's?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

When dvq and I talked to the Goodyear rep at Sea Otter, he boasted that the tires on display were holding air without any sealant. I can’t imagine an airtight system soaking up sealant like that. Where is the sealant going?

Marin

by Marin

Maybe the sealing layer is above the casing or combined with the breaker / tread?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I got some 28mm GP5K. Will report my impressions after a few rides on my 17C rims.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Effetto Mariposa Caffe latex. I have never seen a tyre soak sealant like that either.

The good year rep is telling me that maybe the bulging/blistering is the result of the sealant used.

That's another new one on me. Tyres not working with certain brands of sealant. They are recommending stans with these tyres. There test is to run the tyre for 500km on a drum. My reply. I do that in a week, well not this week and it takes two weeks on commuting to rack up 500km. Anyway I'll give the Goodyear another shot with different sealant and see. I'll probably run stans front and an artificial latex sealant rear. Got a bottle of orange to use up. I weight tyres after two weeks and see.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stan’s has caused bubbles/blisters on many MTB tires.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Probably on non tubeless MTB tyres. Tubeless tyres should be able to cope with sealant. There were no instructions with the tyre to say only use brand X sealant.

robertbb

by robertbb

Any recommendations on size for current year (i.e. wider) Bora clinchers?

In the 4000s2 I'd choose 23mm...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Another member reported that the GP5K 28mm is just a tad wider than the GP4K 25mm. So I would go with the GP5K 25mm if I were you. I have a pair of the 28mm on order for my Boras and I intend to use them over winter where aerodynamics is not a priority.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com