Look 795 Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iankovski

by iankovski

Kipedias wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:27 pm
iankovski wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:06 pm
After some problems with the SRAM + Quarq power meter I just bought a Dura Ace 9200 crank to use with the bike. What BB do you guys are using and can recommend? Thanks!
BBinfinite. Absolute perfection thus far - no creaking and it's v smooth
Thanks buddy. Is this one the right one?

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb3 ... 9864652739

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

RDY wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:36 pm
GGDoomed wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:01 am
These handlebar hacks are great and they make the older gen 795 a very compelling project.
Seeing all this, did anyone finally test 32mm tires on an 'old' 795, or even 33mm cx tires?
Not sure but sure sounds dope :D
FINISHED : Cube Litening C:68X S

Kipedias

by Kipedias

iankovski wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:10 pm
Kipedias wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:27 pm
iankovski wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:06 pm
After some problems with the SRAM + Quarq power meter I just bought a Dura Ace 9200 crank to use with the bike. What BB do you guys are using and can recommend? Thanks!
BBinfinite. Absolute perfection thus far - no creaking and it's v smooth
Thanks buddy. Is this one the right one?

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb3 ... 9864652739
Yup, that is the right one for the 24mm spindle Shimano cranksets

iankovski

by iankovski

Guys, after reading all the replies in the topic about the headset becoming loose and more than 10 tries I was able to solve the problem. My take is: none of these is related to tensioning or pretensioning the stem bolts but having some clearance on the top cap to further apply 10-12 Nm to press the cap against the stem+fork and create the right pressure on the set to have them firmly.

I also found a video that Look posted last year on YouTube that helps to understand a bit better the process:

Thanks to everyone that helped to solve it.

bearapy

by bearapy

iankovski wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:48 pm
Guys, after reading all the replies in the topic about the headset becoming loose and more than 10 tries I was able to solve the problem. My take is: none of these is related to tensioning or pretensioning the stem bolts but having some clearance on the top cap to further apply 10-12 Nm to press the cap against the stem+fork and create the right pressure on the set to have them firmly.

I also found a video that Look posted last year on YouTube that helps to understand a bit better the process:

Glad you're able to solve. Might be because I have v1 expander but pretensioning was the only way to stop it from loosening. I went as far as machining a stem cap to have more threads to tension but it was actually the expander slipping inside (contact points of the V1 expander is literally just the 4 corners).

Leon

by Leon

From the vid: tighten stem bolts with 8nm?? The stem has 5nm written on it??
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

And let me share a nice pic one from last weekend.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-20 134602.jpg
Ride bikes, not tanks!

iankovski

by iankovski

bearapy wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:45 am
iankovski wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:48 pm

Glad you're able to solve. Might be because I have v1 expander but pretensioning was the only way to stop it from loosening. I went as far as machining a stem cap to have more threads to tension but it was actually the expander slipping inside (contact points of the V1 expander is literally just the 4 corners).
Me either but somehow it worked. Do you guys tried to tweak or modified the expander adding some tape or any anti-slippery stuff on it?

Leon wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:19 pm
From the vid: tighten stem bolts with 8nm?? The stem has 5nm written on it??
Yep, this also impressed me the most. I don't know if they mentioned wrong but in the manual it's also 8Nm.

bearapy

by bearapy

Regular carbon paste seemed to be good enough. I would use mariposa carbogrip if I had to do it again.

Chan73

by Chan73

Hey everyone ... 1st time poster but I used this page extensively prior to buying my 795 Blade RS ... A wealth of info, thank you.

I have a question about maximum tyre width as 30mm is stated in the spec, but I've read some people talking of using 32mm but no actual report on whether it's possible?

The reason for my question is that I'm taking part in the TransPyrenees Race at the end of September where there are gonna be some funky off-road sections and I'm thinking a GP5000 AS TR 32mm would add some toughness against punctures, as well as comfort over the 1700km.

Any experience of running these tyres on the 795 (I have Hunt UD carbon 44/55 wheels which have 20mm internal width) would be a great help 🙏

I've tried to keep as aero as possible even with luggage 🤞
TPR loaded Look 795 Blade RS
TPR loaded Look 795 Blade RS

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Most i've run is 28mm on a 21mm internal rim width so tyre is abt 30mm width..

might be worth testing before and using some frame protect tape.

To help with puncture protection:-
Inner tyre liners? e.g. Tuffy?

Chan73

by Chan73

Thanks ... same here 28mm and there's 'loads' of clearance whihc is why I think it looks like it will work. Just hoping to get some insight before committing to the extra cost.

I use Tannus armour inserts on my gravel bike and love them, but i find that for road they add a lot of weight ... so I'm going with old skool tubes as I know i can make those changes quickly and i can pick more up along the way if they're so bad that I can't repair them.

The whole bike is covered in helitape at the mo to protect from all the bag rubbing and potentially paint ruinign surfaces :D
rudye9mr wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:21 pm
Most i've run is 28mm on a 21mm internal rim width so tyre is abt 30mm width..

might be worth testing before and using some frame protect tape.

To help with puncture protection:-
Inner tyre liners? e.g. Tuffy?

naavt

by naavt

Chan73 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:33 am

The reason for my question is that I'm taking part in the TransPyrenees Race at the end of September where there are gonna be some funky off-road sections and I'm thinking a GP5000 AS TR 32mm would add some toughness against punctures, as well as comfort over the 1700km.
I've done TransPytennes and there's nothing funky about the off-road sections on it. From my count they probably resume to some 3kms on the entire course, which is nothing compared to the whole journey.

I also have a 795 and that's probably the last bike I would chose to make that journey, but if that's your only bike just go ahead and have fun!

Ive traveled much lighter than what I can see by your pic and even if tou don't have any other bike beyond that one I really advise you to borrow some less deep wheels than yours. The winds you'll be facing are much more daring than the 3kms gravel you're worried about!

Chan73

by Chan73

Thanks naavt :beerchug: Good to know.

I find the 795 really comfy hence making that my choice and I've done a few days climbing ... although this is my first multiday so there's a lot of 'hope' in my approach :noidea:

I looked at this year's route and there is an option to take a mountain pass which looks quite rocky hence my question as it saves about 80k ... but maybe I should take another look at that :/

The bike might look loaded but with x2 full water bottles and everything I have on my list, the whole thing is 15kg which I don't think I could reduce any further ... but I'll take any advice on kit, route, strategies and top tips that you'd be happy to share :thanx:

naavt

by naavt

Chan73 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:21 am
Thanks naavt :beerchug: Good to know.

I looked at this year's route and there is an option to take a mountain pass which looks quite rocky hence my question as it saves about 80k ... but maybe I should take another look at that :/
Don't have the file since the organization only provides it for participants and I'm not going this year, but last year the route was the one I'm pasting bellow. Routes don't vary much from year to year because you make the most iconic Cols, but yes, take a look at this year route and see if the gravel bits are that much longer than usual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com