S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm
25% is standard if you have a good relationship with your bike shop. Just what I have noticed.
Do you live in the US?

I wonder what type of mark up do they have. I may have a frameset project soon.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

For a complete bike, we have to pull it out of the box, disassemble and reassemble completely. Test it multiple times and then fit the customer on the bike. It takes a lot more time than just giving the customer the box with the frame and sending them off. At least that is the idea behind it at our shop. You would be hard-pressed to get 25% off of a complete bike but for the frame? Sure.

Edit: We won't do that for just anyone, it has to be someone who we have done business with in the past and is a long-term customer. Very different for somebody walking off the street.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nadsta

by Nadsta

sethjs wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 pm
Mirco wrote:Hi, does anyone has a picture using a 90 or even 80mm stem on a 56size frameset?
I just put a 90 on my 54 and happened to take a photo of it this AM. So not exactly what you're looking for but close.

Also - have done 3k miles on the 100 and now 200 on the 90. Can barely tell the handling difference. I was worried...totally uncalled for. Dunno about 80 on a 56 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sethjs can you tell me how you mounted your exposure front light here? Did you find an aftermarket mount?

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Nadsta wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:56 pm
sethjs wrote:
Mirco wrote:Hi, does anyone has a picture using a 90 or even 80mm stem on a 56size frameset?
I just put a 90 on my 54 and happened to take a photo of it this AM. So not exactly what you're looking for but close.

Also - have done 3k miles on the 100 and now 200 on the 90. Can barely tell the handling difference. I was worried...totally uncalled for. Dunno about 80 on a 56 though.

sethjs can you tell me how you mounted your exposure front light here? Did you find an aftermarket mount?
There's a mount suitable for a cylindrical lamp in with the out front computer mount adapters, it attaches from the bottom with x2 screws and the lamp is held with a couple of neoprene bands. This mount used to be avaialable from Bar Fly / Tate Labs, there might be some old stock about or Ebay
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

sethjs

by sethjs

Nadsta wrote:
sethjs wrote:

Exposure sells a go pro mount compatible bracket. So I used the arm and GoPro Mount that came with the bike. Then ordered the bracket from exposure. There are two sizes... One for the trace and another for the Diablo. Maybe others too.

Works super well.

Nadsta

by Nadsta

Bigmac wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:18 pm
Nadsta wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:56 pm
sethjs wrote:

There's a mount suitable for a cylindrical lamp in with the out front computer mount adapters, it attaches from the bottom with x2 screws and the lamp is held with a couple of neoprene bands. This mount used to be avaialable from Bar Fly / Tate Labs, there might be some old stock about or Ebay
Very helpful thank you Bigmac

Nadsta

by Nadsta

sethjs wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 pm
Nadsta wrote:
sethjs wrote:

Exposure sells a go pro mount compatible bracket. So I used the arm and GoPro Mount that came with the bike. Then ordered the bracket from exposure. There are two sizes... One for the trace and another for the Diablo. Maybe others too.

Works super well.

Genius, thanks Sethjs - it was the one thing putting me off buying the bike! Will make sure I check all the bits that come with it.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Is any1 else having problems getting the di2 to operate perfectly smooth on your venge?
I always get quite a bit of chain noise when i'm on the big ring.
Brought it to my mechanic of choice (usually sells cannondale and scott bikes) today and he said it's to be expected with the s-works cranks because they won't be as smooth as a stock dura ace crank.

andreas

by andreas

No issues with an Ultegra crank on the Venge Pro at least... Perfect gearing and low noise out of the box.

Bigmac

by Bigmac

scapewalker wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 pm
Is any1 else having problems getting the di2 to operate perfectly smooth on your venge?
Brought it to my mechanic of choice (usually sells cannondale and scott bikes) today and he said it's to be expected with the s-works cranks because they won't be as smooth as a stock dura ace crank.
Strange comments from a mechanic, why would S-Works cranks be any less smooth, doesn't make any sense, to be honest, with the ceramicspeed bearings supplied, if anything, they should be smoother than stock Shimano! Could you have a bottom bracket alignment issue, i'm running S-Works cranks in the standard cups with the supplied ceamicspeed bearings and it's silky smooth

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Nadsta wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:41 pm
sethjs wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 pm
Nadsta wrote:
sethjs wrote:

Anyone thinking of using an Exposure Trace or Diablo etc, the Exposure mount is a great piece of kit! I tried a number of 3D printed versions before Exposure started marketing theirs, sadly the material used in 3D printing doesn't hold the lights at all well whereas Exposure use an ABS material which is super strong, the 3D also tended to be a lot more expensive!

Works super well.

Genius, thanks Sethjs - it was the one thing putting me off buying the bike! Will make sure I check all the bits that come with it.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

scapewalker wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 pm
Exactly what kind of chain noise? At one point, few years ago some people thought that certain chains worked better with the the S-Works rings.. I think it was SRAM chains, but I haven't heard anyone complain or talk about that ina while and I'm pretty sure the SWorks crank is using Praxis chainrings now which most people regard as pretty quality in terms of QC and fit. Are you hearing the chain rubbing the cage of the FD? perhaps at the extremes of smallest cog or largest cog on the cassette? All of the Specialized race bikes have really short chain stays so the angles can get pretty extreme and the disc brake bikes make that even more dramatic because they're slightly wider at the back, if I'm not mistaken....perhaps you just need some fine tuning.
Bigmac wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:37 am
Strange comments from a mechanic, why would S-Works cranks be any less smooth, doesn't make any sense, to be honest, with the ceramicspeed bearings supplied, if anything, they should be smoother than stock Shimano! Could you have a bottom bracket alignment issue, i'm running S-Works cranks in the standard cups with the supplied ceamicspeed bearings and it's silky smooth
I think you're confusing crank and bottom bracket..... the mechanic is not talking about the bottom bracket, he's talking about the crank and chainrings and its actually not a weird commen for a mechanic to make. I've heard mechanics mention it before. Many people consider Shimano chainrings to be the smoothest shifting chainrings on the market, in terms of the shift points and shift ramps. Personally, my senses arent keen enough to determine if one os betetr than another... but some people really complain about it.

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess then that based on the mechanics comments, if you want ultimate transmission performance any other drivetrain than Shimano should be disguarded. I hope there aren't too many Venge AXS owners reading this!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

My statement above is really in reference to mixing components... i.e. a Shimano groupset with Non-Shimano components like aftermarket chainrings... like I said, some people complain that mixing anything renders a goupset, unrideable. Personally, I've seen plenty do it and report no problems at all. I think some people are just super particular.

I wasn't tryign to make disparaging comments about one brand vs. another..... but if you want to go down that road, I'd say that I don't think I've ever met a mechanic that didn't have one preference over another.... heck, a few of the mechanics in my LBS argue all the time about Shimano vs. SRAM and the way they talk, you'd think they definitely thought the other groupset was horrible.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

I'm interested in the venge. Currently ride a tcr advanced. There's only one specialized dealer that sells s works. What if I can't get a test ride? I haven't called to ask if they have one yet, but end of season, so assuming not likely. How many of you bought the venge without a test ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com