ENVE 4.5 AR DISC VS Roval CLX 50 DISC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

jhalmar wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 pm
From there you can find a hookless picture: https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/ ... ide-review
https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/ ... 50-rim-bed
Misinformation. The article (and the picture quoted in the article of a hookless rim) says that ‘Roval was the first to do a hookless rim’. Past tense. It does not say that the CLX50/64 are hookless. I think the article is misleading and the hookless picture / quote referred to the MTB rim. Does not look like a CLX at all if you ask me.

The proof would be in the pudding. Any existing forum users of CLX tubeless with hookless rims that would like to post a picture of their rims...?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

parajba wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm
jhalmar wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 pm
From there you can find a hookless picture: https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/ ... ide-review
https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/ ... 50-rim-bed
Misinformation. The article (and the picture quoted in the article of a hookless rim) says that ‘Roval was the first to do a hookless rim’. Past tense. It does not say that the CLX50/64 are hookless. I think the article is misleading and the hookless picture / quote referred to the MTB rim. Does not look like a CLX at all if you ask me.

The proof would be in the pudding. Any existing forum users of CLX tubeless with hookless rims that would like to post a picture of their rims...?
The picture is from a MTB rim.. I agree and the article goes on to say specifically the CLX50/64 is also hookless bead... so YES misinfo. My contact at Roval told me all road rims are hooked, but they maybe working on hookless. I have CLX50's and honestly never looked at them close enough and dont care either way. I dont plan on using them tubeless unless I see a tan colored sidewall turbo cotton tubeless tire. :)

review quote :
The New Rims
The CLX50 rim is available in either tubular or clincher. The rim and disc brake clincher share the same shape and hookless bead
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

Can you use inner tubes on the Enve 4.5 AR Disc? Nobody gives me a real answer. just that they are tubeless.

Lugan

by Lugan

ODC wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:04 am
Can you use inner tubes on the Enve 4.5 AR Disc? Nobody gives me a real answer. just that they are tubeless.
No, Enve states that the two "AR" rims are tubeless only. This is becuase the AR rims are hookless and need a tubeless tire bead to stay on.

WESTMOTORSPORTS

by WESTMOTORSPORTS

Yes, you can use tubes on Enve 4.5ar wheels. Just be aware that you have to use "tubeless only" tires.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ODC wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:04 am
you can.. and I would only do this in an emergency situaton and still adhere to psi recommendations (IE dont over inflate)... TUBELESS tires 100% should also be used and preferably not any on their do not use list. You can use tubes in tubeless tires, but my experience is that you gonna wanna call uber at times because this is a PITA with some rims/tire combos.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Hi - Having real struggle with my 2018 CLX50Disc. Tried 3 different tire sets, 2 different tapes, different valves....all installed by a pro shop. Couldnt get it to seal tubless. I have hookless rims (cant figure out how to upload photos)

After reading this, seeing the hooked rims, I am worried my wheels should only be run wiht TLR tires also. Please advice. I will contact customer service and try understand this better.
Attachments
IMG_5128.jpg

hannawald

by hannawald

Hard to say what problems you may have so hard to give you an advice..obviously better to ask some mechanic to help you install the tyres.
Sometimes it is impossible to install the tyres with normal floor pump and you need air booster to give the tires bigger air volume in short time. Once they pop into the rims and seal, you will be ok.

jlok

by jlok

CEVelo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 am
Hi - Having real struggle with my 2018 CLX50Disc. Tried 3 different tire sets, 2 different tapes, different valves....all installed by a pro shop. Couldnt get it to seal tubless. I have hookless rims (cant figure out how to upload photos)

After reading this, seeing the hooked rims, I am worried my wheels should only be run wiht TLR tires also. Please advice. I will contact customer service and try understand this better.
The yellow tubeless tape looks strange... did you remove the original Roval rim tape before applying the yellow tape?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

justRideIt

by justRideIt

CEVelo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 am

I get your misery, I've been stuck in the same misery!!
I also ride Roval CLX 50 disc in tubeless setup.

Which tires did you try to mount? Make sure they are tubeless ready!!

It depends on the tire you mount. With the Schwalbe Pro One TLE, the rubber is rather hard to get on, but then they immediately keep the air and seal even with regular track pump.
Contrary, when I try to mount Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 TLR, which have a cotton casing, they are very "soft".
The tire tends to collapse on the rim and does not hold a proper shape. The air escapes immediately, everywhere. No chance with a track pump, this one needs bigger guns.

What I do with "problematic" tires like the Vittoria are:
- when mounting the tire, start opposite of the valve, and finish at the valve. that way the tire sits best around the valve and the air does not immediately escape at the valve
- when the tire has been mounted, remove the valve screw, push the valve into the tire, to make the tire sit properly around the valve
- you have to get as much air in as quickly as possible, i.e. use compressed air
- remove valve core, this helps to inject more air at once
- if this doesn't work: use soapy water generously, this helps the tire to move into the bead (can be stuck otherwise e.g. on the rim tape) and the soapy water helps a little to create a first seal
- if this doesn't work: shoot the air directly into the valve, e.g. with a direct tube from compressed air pistol into the valve. make sure the compressor is full, e.g. at 8 bar.
- once tire has popped into the bead, carefully release the air and try to keep the tire in the bead. then inject the sealant via valve (e.g. with a syringe), don't get the tire off the bead anymore
- do the tubeless dance, i.e. hold tire with sealant inside horizontal and make the sealant cover all the tiny holes
- go for a ride immediately, to get the tire to properly seal

Once it is sealed, it works fine, but road tubeless with "tough" tires can be a real pain in the a... to set up.
I find it much easier to get fat mountainbike tubeless tires set up.

Here is also a video with some tips which helped me (German, but should get the tips across): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evaYkcT7MAo
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

CEVelo

by CEVelo

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 am
Hard to say what problems you may have so hard to give you an advice..obviously better to ask some mechanic to help you install the tyres.
Sometimes it is impossible to install the tyres with normal floor pump and you need air booster to give the tires bigger air volume in short time. Once they pop into the rims and seal, you will be ok.
All these permutations of tires, tape etc. were installed by a pro shop / certified mechanics at the largest Spec dealer in NorCal. I was the one to give up after 5 visits and 3 weeks of disrupted riding, simply dont have the patience. The shop is very good and willing to keep fixing it, I am just now starting to think the early models CLX50 Disc may have challenges wiht TL (multiple magazine reviews online also suggesting it). Tires tested where 2 sets of the new Sworks Rapid Air and one set of Conti5000TL (in hindsight, GP5000TL is not designed or approved for hookless rim per Conti, its even printed on the tire..all setups with stans TL rim tape, and tried new roval OEM valves each time).
The photo is for tube/clincher setup, only to show the hookless rim profile (2 layer stans, nothing else under the tape)

1. Wonder what prompted Roval to the change to a hook profile in 2019 and beyond?
2. Is the old profile (hookless) still suitable and safe for non-TLR tires in tubed/chlincher setup? (Tires mount suspicously easy..)
3. Is the new profile with hook perhaps a solution to make for more consistent and reliable TL setups, safer install of chlincers with tubes??

Will call Roval also..

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've read the same magazine reviews, so I asked a guy that works for Roval... was told they are not hookless.

and I'm using 5000TL currently on my CLX50s and they were easy to mount as tubeless goes.

where in norcal? I'm figuring you are talking about MikesBikes
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CEVelo

by CEVelo

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 pm
I've read the same magazine reviews, so I asked a guy that works for Roval... was told they are not hookless.

and I'm using 5000TL currently on my CLX50s and they were easy to mount as tubeless goes.

where in norcal? I'm figuring you are talking about MikesBikes
Oh, so even the 2018 iteration have hooks? Very subtle if thats the case.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

mine are 2018
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

I’m pretty sure those have hooks.

I have clx 50 Roval disc wheels that came w my Venge. Also have CLX 32 that came w Diverge. And then 4.5AR and G23 that I’ve bought separately.

Net: Rovals are *much* harder to mount tires tubeless on than the Enves. By a mile.

The enves don’t have hooks. The Rovals all do. It’s not the hooks. It’s partially time diameter and partially the shelf shape that’s supposed to lock a tubeless tire in.

Example: I totally agree - Vittoria Corsa G2 is near impossible on the Roval. Need a compressor. Unlock from bead seat when uninflated. Same tire on the Enve rim is easy. Stays seated when deflated.

Net: Roval rims are great (hubs not so much of ridden in the wet a lot). But...not so great for tubeless. Exception: gravel tires are reasonably easier to mount than road tires on the Rovals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk