Homemade Di2 sprint/climbing shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Yes , amazing !

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

davidodem wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 am
Finally finished my custom Di2 button build!!

As you can see I went full integration. One recommendation is to use a soldering iron to burn the hole for the button in the bar tape (super clean).

The new Venge has wire covers on the handlebars and as you can see I drilled holes into the plastic and placed the buttons in them.
So clean, well done!

Can we please have some more detail on this. What switches are you using?

I have the standard Shimano SW-R9150 climbing shifters for sprint shifters and I hate how bulky they are!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kroem

by kroem

Took the time to try this today, soldering looks like sh*t but that's hidden. Now I need to solder the buttons after pulling cables, since Canyon's routing do not allow me to pull blips through.
Attachments
20210531_160515_3722.jpg
20210601_090626_3725.jpg
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

markdjr

by markdjr

kamokamo12 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 am
I made a climbing shifter like W lever for Di2

Details?

milanv

by milanv

I have found this interesting home-made shifters, it looks very promising.
Handmade Di2 Remote Satellite Shifter Climbing Switch 6870 8050 9150 Waterproof Climb/Rush Button SW-R9150
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq6KfOD

one60

by one60

TRP Hylex RS disc and Di2 - 1x - not quite homemade but the TRP lever shape is similar to Campagnolo and the aesthetics are lovely too!
Attachments
IMG_6628.jpg
IMG_6333.jpg

ms6073

by ms6073

That is interesting, but from the description, I see that these are not compatible with R8070/R9170 disc brake shifters.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

You think you could splice the new 12 speed sprint shifters (SW-RS801) to the older Di2 wire to make them work for the 11-sp levers?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

They would work just fine in the satellite shifter port (if you splice them to the older connector/wire).... but they won't work in a regular SD50 port :)

kilo

by kilo

the blips and the DI2 shifters does it work the same?

mathias720

by mathias720

bringing this topic back up.
i am no electrician and this is out of my turf but giving it a go.
i am trying to test this before getting someone to solder it, but having trouble getting it to shift.
i made sure the satelite shifter worked before i ripped it open, but am now unsure if i damaged the printboard any how during my "operation".
i am trying to the this by connecting the wires for one button by just twisting the wires on the pin of the button and holding the wires to the patches on the print board, but cant get it to shift now.
do i have to have 2 micro switches "connected" for it to work or did i fry the print board?
any how to check this ?
so like the pictures, but only with wires for the one switch with red and black.
IMG_1575.jpeg

robertbb

by robertbb

kamokamo12 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 am
I made a climbing shifter like W lever for Di2

I never saw this in March 2020 (not surprising considering what was going on then and what my job is)

Flipping amazing! :beerchug:

Ensi

by Ensi

mathias720 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:45 pm
i am trying to test this before getting someone to solder it, but having trouble getting it to shift.
i made sure the satelite shifter worked before i ripped it open, but am now unsure if i damaged the printboard any how during my "operation".
i am trying to the this by connecting the wires for one button by just twisting the wires on the pin of the button and holding the wires to the patches on the print board, but cant get it to shift now.
do i have to have 2 micro switches "connected" for it to work or did i fry the print board?
any how to check this ?
so like the pictures, but only with wires for the one switch with red and black.
IMG_1575.jpeg
Should work, at least this is how my setup looks like and works.
But make sure you haven't damaged any of the pins there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathias720

by mathias720

Ensi wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:02 am
mathias720 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:45 pm
any how to check this ?
IMG_1575.jpeg
Should work, at least this is how my setup looks like and works.
But make sure you haven't damaged any of the pins there.
my guess is that i might have damaged the print board during the process :( is there anyway i can test this before buying a new sw-r600