Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tabmaster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm
The new bb. Another standard?! Really?!!
I might just wait until a manufacturer tells us that square wheels are the new round wheels & I'll know it's true because I read it in a magazine.
No, the BB is nothing new in how it actually works from an end user installation perspective... just simplified a bit from their previous Threadfit system. See my rambling on the BB above this one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

TonyM wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm

I appreciate the cleanness, but still see some compromise here.

Why not put all the cables/hoses into the handlebar?

I suspect they're exposed because of...

1) Di2 wireless unit (which actually works fine inside the frame, handlebar, stem or elsewhere)
2) traditional junction A, or campy H11 EPS interface.
3) requests from pros, some of them hate internal cables.

karmaz

by karmaz

TonyM wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm
The disc version of the C64 looks very clean!

All cables (brake and Di2) are going into the Colnago stem and the headtube.

That would make the C64 the cleanest Disc brake bike together with the BMC SLR01 Disc and the Wilier Cento 10 Air Disc.
The BMC SLR01 Disc is however the only of the 3 having the DI2 junction box integrated in the frame and not on the drops of the handlebar.
A bit disappointed to read that the stem is only a prototype so far and that they're hoping to release later in the spring (May/June were quoted somewhere).
I don't mind having the eps box on the stem, as the cables can come out of the handlebars and into the junction box, onward into the stem, without being all over the place.

Now if only EPS H11 wasn't so goddamn expensive...

karmaz

by karmaz

Cemicar wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm
I appreciate the cleanness, but still see some compromise here.

Why not put all the cables/hoses into the handlebar?

I suspect they're exposed because of...

1) Di2 wireless unit (which actually works fine inside the frame, handlebar, stem or elsewhere)
2) traditional junction A, or campy H11 EPS interface.
3) requests from pros, some of them hate internal cables.
4) You're free to use any handlebar you choose.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Calnago wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 pm
tabmaster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm
The new bb. Another standard?! Really?!!
I might just wait until a manufacturer tells us that square wheels are the new round wheels & I'll know it's true because I read it in a magazine.
No, the BB is nothing new in how it actually works from an end user installation perspective... just simplified a bit from their previous Threadfit system. See my rambling on the BB above this one.
Are you sure? Not that I believe very much of what I see on bikeradar, they seemed to think (in their video) that it was yet another proprietary design & ONLY produced by ceramic speed!
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Pretty sure that Ceramic Speed will be offering some super duper ceramic bearing bottom bracket, and maybe it threads directly into the carbon shell in place of the standard threadfit cups. I don't know. And that might be great for a Shimano crank. But a Campy crank, with it's pressed on CULT bearings, would still need it's own cups to slide into, so I'm presuming their will be the same type of threadfit cups for that as there are right now in the C60. But am I sure? Well, I haven't seen one for real, but I'm sticking with that for now. I'll check out the Bike Radar video sometime today to see if it conflicts with what I'm thinking. The Ceramic Speed offering would be an option I think. But there's no way I'd choose that option over Campagnolo's CULT bearings.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

I like the fact that Colnago is giving the weight for each size! :thumbup:
Something other brands, which always claims too have very light frames, could do..... :smartass:

MRM

by MRM

Do these weights put them on par with Pinarello? I'd guess that is quite relevant since both companies should be having a similar customer base.

The Dogma F10 is probably still quite a bit more aero.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
XCProMD wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 am
Now that is details have been presented, let’s make one thing clear:

There’s not a single bit in the Colnago C64 that Giant or any other big bicycle manufacturer has designed, helped designing, made or helped making.

As of today, the lugs, tubes and aluminium bits are sourced in an area that covers 5 Italian regions.

Colnago remains a company that’s privately owned by the Colnago family.
if you believe the press, colnago has one designer david famagalli. it's not crazy to think they received outside design help. that doesn't mean giant has built anything for them. not sure how a photo dispels or proves this was or was not the case.
The photos can't say anything about where the stuff is made.its just that some people is suggesting in this forum:
1- That the company is participated/supported/partnered by Giant
2- That the C64 is just glued and painted in Italy, all the parts coming form elsewhere.
3-That the design is partly supported by Giant

The above points are not true.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... while the different cable routing makes for a cleaner side profile for the electric crowd, I'm not sure I'm liking it so much for my beloved mechanical drivetrain. Seems that cable rub on the frame would be an issue, and the ports may be too far down the tube to allow for a neat alternative cabling like I do on my current builds where possible. On my C60, the cables enter through the lug, so I get away without too huge a loop. With this setup, I may not be able to neatly do that without a huge loop, but I will see I guess. If I can, then ok... the slight extra bend is probably no big deal...

Versus on my C60...

Yup... definitely prefer the C60 cable routing for mechanical drive trains. At least that's my first impression. I'll reserve final judgment till I have a chance to actually cable up a C64.

And doing away with the beautiful 3K carbon weave? I know it was only cosmetic and added a bit of weight and I'm sure extra labor... but it was oh so beautiful... compared to this...

C60 gloss carbon weave...

Or my matte black C59... LOVE that 3K weave finish...

In sum... win some, lose some... the C64 still looks to be a fantastic bike. I want that bottom bracket in the new C64... lol.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

+1

Would not like the C64 with a mechanical group.

TonyM

by TonyM

MRM wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm
Do these weights put them on par with Pinarello? I'd guess that is quite relevant since both companies should be having a similar customer base.

The Dogma F10 is probably still quite a bit more aero.

Does Pinarello give the weight of their frame depending on the size? :shock:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

TonyM wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 pm
I like the fact that Colnago is giving the weight for each size! :thumbup:
Something other brands, which always claims too have very light frames, could do..... :smartass:

where are they doing that? is there a table?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

TonyM

by TonyM

Out of:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/02/09/ne ... race-bike/

I suppose this what Colnago provides to the journalists.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^ Ok... after reading that I still think what I wrote about the BB earlier is correct. I don't know what that post in the other thread is going on about. I'm not even going back to that other thread, it will just muddy the waters further.