Tubeless road tires don't work for everyone - discuss

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stickman

by Stickman

TobinHatesYou wrote:Bontrager's is good. Just make sure you shake it very hard for a while so the solid particles get unstuck from the bottom. One good shake won't do it in my experience.

This was Keith Bontrager's home recipe for sealant from a GCN video:

Honestly the best thing to do is to order a large 32oz bottle of Orange Seal from overseas. It'll last you a very long time.

I'm getting closer and closer to buying a 2018 TCR with carbon rims and tubeless from the factory. It'll be my first experience with tubeless. I wonder how the Giant own-brand sealant is....

So you need to top up your sealant every few months? What happens to the old stuff? Does the liquid dry out, leaving you those squishy "boogers" people refer to?
Do you need to remove your tyres and clean the gunk out once a year to avoid them getting heavier and heavier over time with dried up sealant solids?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I usually dismount the tire and scrub the dried sealant, remount and refill fresh sealant. Now I'd try orange seal as tubeless God says that Stan's is bad.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

madik

by madik

ok I found that orange magic on some UK eshop https://www.extrauk.co.uk/product/search/0/?q=orange
So the Endurance sealant is probably what I want right? They says it lasts 120days which is Ok i guess. On the "normal" Sealant its only 45 days which is not very much and cleaning the tire from the dried out sealant is not my favorite thing to do very often.. :)
Functionality > Performance > Weight

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stickman wrote:
So you need to top up your sealant every few months? What happens to the old stuff? Does the liquid dry out, leaving you those squishy "boogers" people refer to?
Do you need to remove your tyres and clean the gunk out once a year to avoid them getting heavier and heavier over time with dried up sealant solids?

I ride about 800-1000mi a month on pretty racy tires, so they get replaced inside of 3 months. 30-40mL of Orange Seal lasts about 3 months for me. If I get a few punctures, the I add about 15mL of sealant later on.

I don’t ever clean off the old sealant from my tires. 40mL of sealant is about 5 grams after drying out. It’s pointless to waste your time doing that. If you really feel like cleaning Orange Seal out, how easy it is depends on the inside of your tire. On Schwalbes with Microskin, the Orange Seal forms a stretchy film all over the interior. Its very hard to remove from the textured surface on the inside, but still easier to remove than Stan’s. On Hutchinson made tires (including Zipp and Mavic,) the inside of the tire is a smooth butyl layer and you can easily just rinse it off what isn’t completely dry with water.

Orange Seal doesn’t have a huge problem with boogers like Stan’s does. The new Slime STR I’ve been testing in one tire does tend to clump up around the web fibers that make up its coagulant.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

madik wrote:ok I found that orange magic on some UK eshop https://www.extrauk.co.uk/product/search/0/?q=orange
So the Endurance sealant is probably what I want right? They says it lasts 120days which is Ok i guess. On the "normal" Sealant its only 45 days which is not very much and cleaning the tire from the dried out sealant is not my favorite thing to do very often.. :)

I use the normal sealant and it lasts 3 months. Only get the Endurance sealant if you live somewhere really hot and dry IMO.

dim

by dim

My 1st post here, but I have been lurking here for a very long time.

I've just switched to tubeless after I had a wheelset built. (HED Belgium Plus, Chris King R45 (ceramic bearing upgrade), and Sapiem CX-Ray spokes.

My 1st set of tyres on these wheels were Specialized Turbo Cotton's and I rode over 900km with them. No probs whatsoever, and very very fast and grippy. I have swopped them now for a pair of 2017 IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless tyres in 25mm (they are true to size and measure 25mm on my rims). I will reuse the Turbo Cottons next spring (they still have lots of miles on them)

I had them fitted by my LBS (2 layers of tape and orange sealant) .... so far so good .... no punctures and they grip like glue. Not as fast as the Turbo Cottons, but very close, and much more durable. I am hoping to ride some Audax long distance rides and my 1st one is on Oct 21, and if I do get some punctures and they self seal, it will be a bonus.

If anyone has a new wheelset built, I'd definately recomend that they use tubeless ready rims as it gives you a greater choice with fast tyres, and you can use normal clinchers.

On an Audax forum, a member has ridden 102,361 km this year so far, and he only uses tubeless (Hutchinson Sector 28), with very little hassle

most of the problems that I have read about tubeless tyres on forums, relates to lack of experience when fitting, or wrong choice of tyre
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

addict

by addict

Using tubeless for 2 seasons, on Scott Addict CX10, 80% tarmac, totally 8000 km's. 3 x schwalbe's S-one 622-30 still alive, carbon rims w/o spokes eyelets, Zefal sealant. Never had air loss or punctures. This spring changed sealant (was completely frozen) I'm impressed by tubeless_tech@road) :thumbup:

Stickman

by Stickman

TobinHatesYou wrote:I use the normal sealant and it lasts 3 months. Only get the Endurance sealant if you live somewhere really hot and dry IMO.

Where I live, winter never gets below say 2 degrees C (35F), if so I'm not riding in it! But summer regularly gets above 40C (104F), it's like riding in a fan forced oven

kulivontot

by kulivontot

TobinHatesYou wrote:
kulivontot wrote:Ok road tubeless experts, I've been running schwalbe pro ones Stan's alpha 340 rims for years with no problem.
I however have nothing but issues with Vittoria corsa speeds. One tire will air up and hold pressure for about a week before it goes flat the second fits looser, has leaked sealant from "sweating" through the sidewall, but also bubbles through the rim tire interface and loses pressure entirely within a day. Am I doing something wrong or is my second Vittoria tire defective?
My conclusion is that any time air escapes between the bead and the rim there's a problem with the tire when used on tubeless specific rims.

And what sealant are you using?

Tried both orange seal and Stan's to no avail. Also tried different layers of tape without success

ms6073

by ms6073

jlok wrote:I usually dismount the tire and scrub the dried sealant

What do you use when scrubbing the tires? I am running Schwalbe Pro Ones with Caffe Latex which dries out very quickly with the high temps and humidity here along the Texas Gulf Coast and want to switch to Orange Seal Endurance but unsure what solvent to use to remove latex residue.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jever98

by jever98

ms6073 wrote:

What do you use when scrubbing the tires? I am running Schwalbe Pro Ones with Caffe Latex which dries out very quickly with the high temps and humidity here along the Texas Gulf Coast and want to switch to Orange Seal Endurance but unsure what solvent to use to remove latex residue.

You may be condemned to ride more, so your tire gets worn out before you run into that problem. Perfect argument to use with your boss / partner on why you need to ride your bike more ;-).
----
No longer in the industry

peted76

by peted76

ms6073 wrote:

You use solvent on the inside of your tyres... any experts have an opinion on this? I'd previously dismissed it as a bad idea.. but I don't really know about these things.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Again, why remove the residue when it weighs about 5g? Even if you have to add sealant two more times, that's 15g total when dry...
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

Oh... I did sth useless again. Will avoid it. Thanks.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:Oh... I did sth useless again. Will avoid it. Thanks.

At least with Orange Seal it comes off like this:

https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/fi ... 1.TRIM.MP4

With Stan's it's a crusty mess IIRC.