2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

Thanks I just saw it. It has the older Ultegra, how different is it from the newer version? Can I change just the hoods with the newer one perhaps? Wheels would have to be replaced to with the CL50 (£1200) so the bike would cost around £3.3k.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tnkn

by tnkn

I built my s-works up for not much more that 6k. I was tempted by the pro but after finding various discount codes and planning the build i went for the s-works. Built myself to save the labour costs and got a set of custom built MCFK rims with C x-ray spokes on Newmen hubs at a good price.
parajba wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 pm
I am debating whether I should buy a complete Tarmac Pro disc in size 54 as I can get one for £5.2k (or, but it’s a bit of a different question, build a Venge S Works with DA Di2, CLX50 for £6.8k).

What’s the finished weight of the Pro assuming I buy some nice / fancy Look pedals?

I understand the main differences (vs the Tarmac S Works) are:

1) wheels. CL va CLX. Not sure I will notice the difference?
2) handlebar (alu): this can be swapped later on. Does the alu handlebar make the ride harsh?
3) no ceramic bearings / lesser carbon used for the frame
4) Powermeter: doesn’t matter as I have a Quarq.
5) DA vs Ultegra Di2

I will put some tubeless so tyres don’t matter.

scale29

by scale29

My S-Works cost a lot less than the full build price......

Got the frame for £2,100 in the Sigmasports sale
Ultegra 8070 Di2 Shifters/calipers and mechs for £650 in a Rose bikes sale
CLX32 wheelset were £950 via eBay new and unused with rotors and tyres.
SWorks cranks/rings £120 eBay in mint cond.
Fizik R1 Bars/Stem/Saddle were £220 all in from eBay, all new
Picked up bargain wires/junctions/battery via eBay for £100 for the lot.

So a total spend of £4,250 with pedals, tape and chain. Took a while to piece together but that's what the winter is for, right?
Last edited by scale29 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Has anyone actually received and using the SL6 Disc direct mount deraileur hanger?

scale29

by scale29

Yup! UK concept store has them in at £10.99.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Can someone explain to a beginner what the benefit is with the part you are talking about?

scale29

by scale29

Slight weight reduction, looks cleaner, possibly more accurate shifting by removing a point of slop in the system.

sfo423

by sfo423

slightly OT, but was looking at a 61 s-works disc in a local shop (its sitting on the floor as in dealer owns it) and he had no interest in negotiating. So I walked. I know Specialized has serious 'advertised' price controls but but once you are face-to-face w/a buyer its up to the dealer to sell (a very unusual size) or not. I felt like he was an idiot not to try to move the bike. 'Oh well.

Any tips on acceptable dealer discount on this bike if its on the shelf? If you know of a dealer that has one, all the better.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Cost is 58% of RRP of the majority of bikes (well here in the UK).

Dropping 10% off a £10k bike isn’t drastic but still a grand lost in profit. Being a rarer bike, I guess the shop owner is holding out.

I’m going to be purchasing a new top tier aero bike soon (IRO £10k RRP). I’ll be looking to handover no more than £8k when the sale goes through.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

g32ecs

by g32ecs

ryanw wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:05 am

Dropping 10% off a £10k bike isn’t drastic but still a grand lost in profit. Being a rarer bike, I guess the shop owner is holding out.

I’m going to be purchasing a new top tier aero bike soon (IRO £10k RRP). I’ll be looking to handover no more than £8k when the sale goes through.
What is it in North America? Specifically in Canada?

Would love to leverage on close outs when time comes.

PM me if you think this shouldn't be answered publicly 😊

Slack

by Slack

How long have you worked in the industry out of interest? Just wondering where you got the 42% margin from.

ryanw wrote:

ichobi

by ichobi

That margin is not for all kind of bikes though is it. Expensive model has much greater margin. Discounting cheaper bikes can be a hard pill to take for some shops. (that's how it work here in s/e asia even then some expensive model don't have much margin either). Nobody is getting rich selling bicycle here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Slack

by Slack

This isn't true. The margin on S-Works is less than it is on all regular Specialized product.
ichobi wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:32 pm
That margin is not for all kind of bikes though is it. Expensive model has much greater margin. Discounting cheaper bikes can be a hard pill to take for some shops. (that's how it work here in s/e asia even then some expensive model don't have much margin either). Nobody is getting rich selling bicycle here.

packetloss

by packetloss

Slack wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:35 pm
This isn't true. The margin on S-Works is less than it is on all regular Specialized product.
ichobi wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:32 pm

I doubt that. The difference between the S-Works and Pro model is barely noticeable (being generous). I have 2 S-works Tarmacs and 1 Pro and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference. The cost in materials between the 2 is negligible. The price difference is Large. The margin is clearly much higher.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Slack wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:46 pm
How long have you worked in the industry out of interest? Just wondering where you got the 42% margin from.

ryanw wrote:

Have numerous mates who are sponsored by LBS’ and know people in the industry.

Obviously it’s not for ALL bikes, but the majority.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop