Lightweight frames that have mudguard eyelets?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nudieburger

by Nudieburger

Hey all,

I want to build up a reasonably lightweight road bike for winter, hence the need for mudguard eyelets.

Has anyone got a recommendation for a decent frame?

I'm happy with a rim brake frame over discs and with either carbon or lightweight aluminium.

Hope you can give me a steer!

Cheers,

Dan

2lo8

by 2lo8

What does reasonably light mean?

A lot of the "endurance" road bikes have clearance and hidden eyelets for fenders if you can tolerate their stack heights, although I can't list them off the top of my head.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

My Kinesis T3 weighs in at about 1400gr. The Kestrel carbon fork slapped on there hits the scales at 320.
Turns out I did not need the eyelets, afterall, because I went with the SKS Raceblade fender kit.
These work about 80% as well as full coverage fenders. But they easily install and detach.
The brand new aluminum frame cost me around $220, and eventually outfitting with 6800 Ultegra and the like put the final tab at around $1,200.
No doubt I could've prospected for a used DA or Ultegra carbon fiber bike to shave off weight. Oh, well.
Oldbie

morrisond

by morrisond

The BMC Roadmachines in 02/03 Series have Fender Mounts - 02 Carbon/ 03 Aluminum.

I built up a Salsa Carbon Warbird that has Fender Mounts - I'm addicted to it's 37mm Compass Tires even in the Summer - Fast and oh so comfy.

If you are building up a Winter Bike why not get something that gives you versatility to do more in the Summer as well - take a look at Gravel Frames.

fordred

by fordred

There's the Lynskey frames. Urbano, CooperCX, Backroad and Viale.

morganb

by morganb

Roubaix and Domane both have hidden fender mounts (not sure about in the S-Works/SLR models though). While not WW light they are reasonable weights.

dave.chippie

by dave.chippie

Dolan Dual, carbon frame under 1300g, fairly heavy carbon fork (alloy steerer) with standard drop callipers and mudguard eyelets with race geometry. Had mine for a few years and love it.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

morganb wrote:Roubaix and Domane both have hidden fender mounts (not sure about in the S-Works/SLR models though). While not WW light they are reasonable weights.

Roubaix perplexingly does not.
2016 Diverge Expert

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

vinuneuro wrote:
morganb wrote:Roubaix and Domane both have hidden fender mounts (not sure about in the S-Works/SLR models though). While not WW light they are reasonable weights.

Old one yes, new one no :(
New diverge will take full fenders.
Using Tapatalk

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Nefarious86 wrote:
vinuneuro wrote:

Old one yes, new one no :(
New diverge will take full fenders.

Current Diverge as well. Superb bike though I wouldn't call it light at 1050g with fork, and wouldn't expect the new one to be much lighter.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com