2 di2 batteries?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

V3Rs wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:44 pm
You think those are expensive batteries? Go price a V4 EPS battery!!!!!
Holy cow, 350 EUR for a battery? Unlike mechanical parts, electronic component prices can be gauged by vastly more people, I wonder if Campy and others use batteries to offset poor margins on other parts or if mechanical components bear a similarly high margin and we are all buying Velben goods.

jurez

by jurez

just searching for a dn110 to upgrade my older battery and the supply is quite low, is this normal for shimano batteries?
some of the biggest stores in europe dont have it, bike24 even says its not deliverable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4964matthewc

by 4964matthewc

I don't object at all to Shimano charging what they do for the battery. It's nicely packaged, and it has their chipset in it, which controls the whole di2 system, and it let's you do really cool stuff with it too via bluetooth. I still think that it's an amazing bit of innovation, even after using it for years. However, they have not upgraded the cells which they use, and cell technology has come a long way since they launched di2. I do object to that. I also object to the implication that I ought to be able to get 5000km out of a charge. It would be more honest of the to say how many shifts I might expect say front only and rear only, under certain temperature conditions, and without using the other features which they offer, like the bluetooth garmin interface.
I think that they are missing a trick here. They could easily upgrade the cells alone.
If this were any other part of their groupset there would be a cheap, moderate and expensive version with corresponding performance/weight characteristics. They've subcontracted out this part to someone else, it seems, and they havent really given it much thought since.

4964matthewc

by 4964matthewc

Jurez I have a spare dn110 working like new. If you want it, drop me a pm.