Any Campagnolo 2018 news?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

Campag does not compete with Shimano, doesn't care that new Ultegra is coming, does what it does.....take it or leave it.....

Roel W

by Roel W

corky wrote:Campag does not compete with Shimano, doesn't care that new Ultegra is coming, does what it does.....take it or leave it.....

Every company looks at it's competitors.
Look what Campagnolo did in 2010: Shimano just launched their Ultegra DI2 groupset and therefore brought electronic shifting to an affordable level at that time. However, it was 10 speed. Campagnolo reacted by launching the Athena groupset in a hurry: the first affordable 11-speed groupset on the market. I have an Athena 2010 groupset: it's clearly a ripped off Chorus: all carbon parts from Chorus are replaced by alloy parts but functionality was the same as Chorus: 11-speed, UltraTorque cranckset, Ultrashift Ergopowers,... A year later, Campagnolo introduced the lower level technology in the Athena while keeping the price equal.

Disc bakes are hot nowadays. Shimano will launch the new Ultegra withina few months and you can be sure it will have a disc brake option to get rid of the non-series levers and calipers of the current set-ups. Campagnolo must follow with Potenza as Potenza is loudly and clearly made and placed in the market as an Ultegra competitor for OEM bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

Also, I find the topic title a bit weird: groupsets, components and bikes are no longer related to a specific season but released all year long.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

tommasini wrote:Past few months the US dollar has been strong against GB Pound and Euro.

GB pound also strong against Euro.

US consumers seeing this advantage. UK outlets paying less too.

Sterling is shockingly low against the Euro, it was around 1.40 Euros to the pound in 2015, it's been around 1.15 and lower for months now. When the Euro was introduced I was getting around 1.6 to the pound.

Westbank

by Westbank

Frankie - B wrote:Campa will enter the disc market with the potenza groupset. It is expected to land in April, campagnolo being campagnolo i expect the potenza disc group to hit the market in june.
After potenza their other groupsets will folow the disc trend. And will be released later in the year.

Are you sure about this or it's a rumor you've heard ?

Roel W

by Roel W

Campagnolo has invited the press and of april for the introduction of disc brakes. I heard this from a journalist. It was somewhere on an island, if I'm correct, it will be be on Corsica.
Not sure what groupset with discs they will show there.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Does any really believe Campa will go wireless?
Hard time believing that will happen yet in a few years.
Remember when i mailed Tiso and asked why their wireless groupset never was released.
They told me, they could not since Sram claimed it was interloping on Srams patent.
This even though Tisos groupset was ready long before Sram Etap.
So, i believe this is why FSA for example has a semi wireless groupset.
Sure, maybe Campa could do that to...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

There are some patent pictures for Campy wireless shifters. I don't think they will go full wireless. Hopefully they do, but most likely it will be a hybrid version with battery in the seat tube and wireless shifters.
██

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Disc are being announced this spring, should be available for purchase this fall.

avispa

by avispa

MyM3Coupe wrote:
ak47 wrote:Everywhere Record mechanical is cheaper than the Dura-Ace mechanical which I think never happened before.

Probably because Shimano can command a higher price. I ride Campy Record, but I have to say I'm the only one in my entire area. It's 99% Ultegra/Dura Ace. I love Campy, but they have to be hanging on by a thread. IMO, they desperately need to release a wireless group.

I agree/I don't agree with the comment. I was in a conversation with some friends where I live (South Florida) and we could see that the Shimano/Campagnolo/Sram distribution among riders in our area is well divided almost equally. Those that will buy Campy will always stay with Campy and the same can be said with the Shimano crowd. Now, those that buy Sram have been lured to this groupset (wireless or not), more than anything because of it's price. Had Sram eTap cost $3500 I think you would have seen a much lesser amount of people flocking to it.

If Campy ever comes out with a wireless group, I doubt very much that it will be as cheap as Sram; therefore, you are not going to see a huge amount of people falling for Campy again. We asked around and noticed that the most eclectic riders and those who felt they had to have the very best, have chosen Campagnolo. One thing is also certain, I have heard many Sram riders complain about the cost of a $350 saddle. But never a Campy or Dura-Ace rider complain about a $6000+ frame.

I have my own conclusions and personal opinion about each groupset and I know what components I would stay with no matter what the "wow" factor of these parts would be. I have heard complains/praise from everyone about the groups they use. There seems to never be a perfect group.

As I have stated in other conversations on this forum, I do believe that Campy EPS is a groupset showing signs or age, regardless of the minor progress Campy showed with V3. Therefore, rather than seeing an urgent need for Campagnolo to release a wireless group, I do see a more urgent need for them to fully modernize EPS! This could be done in several ways:

1) having battery chargers that use standard USB or similar tips and cables: The fragile four-pin battery charger connectors in EPS, looks like something that has come out of the Apollo missions.
2) hidden-in-the-frame junction boxes as the latest Shimano release: The "new" EPS V3 interface is bulky and the LED lights are impossible to see in bright day light as opposed to the old one.
3) blimps similar to Shimano/Sram: This is non-existent in the EPS world.
and a distant, very distant possibility
4) crank-set with integrated power meter and 5) rear derailleur with larger pulleys (as in Berner/Ceramic Speed, etc): Just because they need to keep up with the Joneses!!!

If you recall, Campagnolo is a relatively small company and they release items in a more cautious and compatible fashion. For instance, many people are still using their EPS shifters/derailleurs from the V1 days and only have replaced batteries/interfaces.

Had there been a serious thread from Sram eTap for Shimano or Campy, these two manufacturers would have developed something similar a while back! By the way, does anyone know if the Mavic Zap patents have expired? :mrgreen:

Cheers

..A..

corky

by corky

thyjoon wrote:I wish cranks arm design is back to 2014...

Limited chainring sizes?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I love the look of the new 4-arm cranks but would like an integrated power meter more than anything.
A 65mm deep Bora rim at the current wider (but not too wide) width too.
Not fussed about wireless at the moment but if it were completely wireless and lighter than mechanical then i'd be interested.
I have no strong feelings on discs either way
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

corky

by corky

Stages?.....or must it be two sided?

Wireless would be on my list

What I would like is for them to make a shamal/zero that incorporates all, the newer technologies.....tubuless and wider and anodised brake rim......just stick a heat disclaimer sticker on it if that is the sticking point.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

LBS have the Stages Campy arms in and I am considering it, but it would be nice if part of a group. 2-sided would be ideal too.

I'm probably one of few people who don't want Campy to make even wider wheels, I've very happy on my Bora's with 23mm tyres!! Been very happy with the braking too and see no need for alu strips. Discs will cater for those who want carbon rims but are concerned about braking
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

The Bullet series still needs to go to the 17c internal width. Maybe with the black Mille braking surface and 35mm and 50 mm depth options. Or has Campagnolo abandoned the Bullet series since the Bora series is now offered in 17c clincher?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.