Look Keo Blade Bearing Replacement tutorial, any interest?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lafolie

by Lafolie

can you put an ti axle in a normal carbon blade pedal ? or is there is difference?

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Did anyone ever locate any suitable replacement bearings for the 18 x 12 x 5mm that Look use - anyoned tried using an 18 x 12 x 4mm with a washer ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I've got some titanium spindles for my new Keo Blades, but am having trouble removing the bearings from the cromoly spindles.

There is a metal collar holding the bearing in place on the spindle. If this collar removable? If so how?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Found this very helpful Web page with instructions for changing the bearings on Look axels.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling ... -pics.html

There is also a YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/LWsi4qKJILE

It's actually really easy to do, took me about 5 minutes per pedal once I got the right tools together (appropriately sized sockets and hammer).

I now have blades with titanium axels and a 42g weight saving (because Weightweenie).
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

10Caad

by 10Caad

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:19 pm
Found this very helpful Web page with instructions for changing the bearings on Look axels.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling ... -pics.html

There is also a YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/LWsi4qKJILE

It's actually really easy to do, took me about 5 minutes per pedal once I got the right tools together (appropriately sized sockets and hammer).

I now have blades with titanium axels and a 42g weight saving (because Weightweenie).
Thanks for those links, super helpful! I’m planning to do this for my Blades soon. Does anyone have the details on the specs / links for ordering replacement bearings?

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

Just had a crack at servicing my Keo Blades. In my instance, replacement of the bearings was not needed. I had to service the biggest bearing. I just removed the bearing seal using a craft knife and injected the bearing with grease. All fixed.

Accessing the axle was easy, its got reverse threads on the left pedal, so that it comes undone with clockwise turning of the end of the axle fixing bolt. Surprisingly, the needle bearings and the smallest bearing were like new, even though they are both small. The bearing which was creaking for me is the bigger one next to the crank arm. Looking inside the big bearing, I reckon the balls are no more than 0.5mm in diameter, similar to the thrust bearings in brake calipers.

Leon

by Leon

I bought a special tool to dismantle the Look Keo Blade 2. The version which doesn't have the removable cover on the outside of the pedal. I was looking if someone already did dismantle these pedals for service. Actually just to put some grease in there. Now, I can find enough video's on older Blade pedals and also on the Blade 2 but with removeable cover on the outside. Not one video or tutorial is about the Blade I'm talking about.

But, maybe I'm missing something here. Do you know a tutorial on these Blade 2 pedals?
If not I will go ahead and sacrifice a set of pedals. Although, what goes apart should always come together I suppose.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-02 130006.jpg
Ride bikes, not tanks!

diecast

by diecast

As far as I can remember, once you unscrew that end cap with the tool the spindle will come out with bearings mounted on it. You can't remove the bearings (not easily anyway) but it may be enough to regrease/service them.
I did it once without the tool, just some mole grips and twist the cap off. It's plastic so it's not on with much torque, although of course it's easy to mangle it so having the correct tool will be better.

Leon

by Leon

:thumbup: Ok, thanks! I will just go ahead and try. The pedals seem a bit noisy so I hope a bit of grease will solve that!
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

Ok, this was easy. The tool is made for these pedals. And yes, you can't service the bearing that is on the axle. This bearing is kept in place with a metal ring which is pressed on the axle.

However, it is possible to regrease the needle bearing which is located in the pedal. And as far as I'm aware that is a normal bearing. It says ceramic but I think that is only the one that is on the axle.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-03 080921.jpg
Ride bikes, not tanks!