Cannondale CAAD12 105 complete strip with RAW weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

The most thorough bike strip I've ever seen online. With which color combinations are you going for the CAAD12? Will you do minimal decals? I'm already curious about the frame without paint and the end result. Also, why not go with a polish and then anodization?

Pretty light frame too but the forks on higher end bikes are supposedly lighter than this 105 model. Good luck with the rebuild.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@mythical

The colors will be a secret until it's done. :mrgreen: Decals/logos will be very minimal, and I'm trying to avoid having it be applied on top of the powdercoat so I'm in discussions with a few local powdercoaters to see who among them has the best techniques for getting precise masking (which is difficult to do in powdercoat).

I read up on polish/then anodize: apparently clear ano isn't always crystal clear. Plus, I don't want a silver frame. I could ano the whole thing in color, but getting precise masking for what I want to do will be difficult again... plus anodizing so many times riles up my environmentalist side. Since this is a light frame, but not über light (sub 700g, which may be impossible given the material), I decided give it some color.

I also owe you an e-mail/graphics :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

There's so much possible with anodization so why anyone goes with silver is beyond me. Masking, polishing, blasting, even laser-engraving can do a lot to make a super chic look and doesn't have to be costly. For example, a satin finish with polished details and some dashes of paint (like strategic panels or pinstriping) could do miracles and make the frame suddenly seem like something a lot more special.

Also, I had been waiting for such an email. :wink:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

peted76

by peted76

I love this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

mythical wrote:There's so much possible with anodization so why anyone goes with silver is beyond me. Masking, polishing, blasting, even laser-engraving can do a lot to make a super chic look and doesn't have to be costly. For example, a satin finish with polished details and some dashes of paint (like strategic panels or pinstriping) could do miracles and make the frame suddenly seem like something a lot more special.

Also, I had been waiting for such an email. :wink:

I remember a thread discussing anodization of alloy frames somewhere else. Probably Spooky which does do it.

The only negative to using a color is that the welds can come out looking quite different which is not always an attractive thing. Black and plain natural look fine.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

F45

by F45

Impressive effort, prendrefeu

The frame weight looks fine. It's pretty hard to get al lighter and still have it hold up to the abuse the plus sized American are going to put on it.

Dat seatpost doe. 300g is ridiculous for a seatpost.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Can't wait to see this built up!

Good work on all the weights btw. Very useful information.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

lechat

by lechat

That's a good weight for an alloy frame, You can only go so thin with aluminum tube walls. Fork's not bad either. Caad10 forks were north of 400gms. With some sub 1300gm wheels you should be able to build a 13lb (5.9kg) or lighter bike, 'thout breaking the bank.

jeffy

by jeffy

there should be more of this kind of thing

5DII

by 5DII

Nice breakdown. i noticed you had stainless steel cables. I thought 5800 comes with polymer cables?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

As far as I can tell, and what is documented both at cannondale.com and here, the '105' version only applies the shifters and derailleurs.
Brakes are not Shimano 105, they are Tektro.
Crankset is Cannondale w/ FSA, not Shimano.
Cables/Housing is Jagwire LEX series.
... and so forth.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Marin

by Marin

Great post!

Handlebar end caps, pair, 29.5g
Headset TopCap, 25mm cone, 29.0g

These are both insane.

CBRE

by CBRE

Yeah that crank is made of lead, it's not a hollowgram, same one came on my Fat Cad2, I swapped it out for a SISL2 and saved 230 grams.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

wingguy

by wingguy

prendrefeu wrote:Also, I can't wait to get rid of the atrocity graphics, warranty be damned.
Is it a Cannondale? Is it a CAAD12? "I don't know, maybe we need another logo on here somewhere... I think we have a few spare areas where we can fit in another one" is probably what the marketing & graphics department thought. Maybe their goals are to appeal to 12 year olds, and not humans with reasonable, thoughtful brains in their heads. CAAD12 is written 5 times. Cannondale is written 4 times.

Seriously though, it's not that bad.

For comparison check out an older Speed Concept. They couldn't possibly write 'Trek' 16 times on one frame and still have room left for a bunch more logos... or could they? :P

nemeseri

by nemeseri

:goodpost:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com