Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I ordered some Rapha Pro bibs once, but didn't find them nearly the quality of the Assos. They were extremely tight fitting as well (on me), so they didn't really work out very well. Assos, especially with the new S7 type pads and "pouch" up front, really are the best fitting and feeling shorts I've ever used. I just wish they hadn't shortened the length so much. They did that on their knickers as well. They used to fit me very nicely with the end of the knickers sort of 3/4 calf length. Now they end just under the knee cap almost. It's ok, but not as comfortable as if they were just a tad longer so they don't bunch up behind the knee. I guess like anything, you just have to find the stuff that works for you, personally, and your body type.

Also, Assos's product line is probably the most confusing thing ever. @TonyM, I'm not sure if you're asking about the Campionissimo or the Equipe. They both have S7 pads I think. I'm not even sure if the Campionissimo aren't called Equipe Campionissimo or something. The Campionissimo were very very nice shorts, probably more along the lines fitwise to the Rapha Pro, but with all the Assos materials and pads. Snugger than the Cento S7's. But hugely expensive.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

I was asking for the "regular" Equipe.
Thanks for the feedback. I will try a Assos Equipe!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Calnago wrote:Also, Assos's product line is probably the most confusing thing ever.

I'm glad somebody else said that. I am perhaps too stupid to understand all their naming conventions and variations/permutations. I like the product, but the names are just impossibly convoluted.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Bought a pair of of the Campionissimo bib shorts back when they were still fairly new to the market. For some reason the pad on at least my pair had this taped edge which resulted in some bad chafing on sensitive areas.

After using them only a handful of times over the course of about a year I finally contacted Assos. They offered to replace the pad with a newer version without the taped seam, which of course solved all my problems. If you're in a similar situation, contact Assos!

Quite happy with these shorts now, though I'd never even consider buying them at the beyond exorbitant regular pricing… (I got them at a nice discount when Wiggle ran a campaign on all clothing regardless of brand.)

vamoots58

by vamoots58

kode54 wrote:i typically wear medium. but with the Cento S7, i wear small.

there's differences in materials between the high end Campionssimo and the Cento. cost doesn't justify it...but i managed to get one on sale. i like the Cento, but the Campionssimo is fantastic. material feels hight end.

+1!! I wear a Medium in the Cento's and my Campionissimo's are Large. Cento's are excellent!! Campionissimo's simply amazing, much less padding, but they all but (sorry pun unintended) disappear under you!!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

@Calnago: I think the Cento have shorter legs than the other models, much like the Mille (which sat at the same level in the range as the Cento) did in the S5 series.

So I could be wrong but I think all the other models will have the traditional Assos leg length which even then is a little shorter than some brands.

No doubt someone with better Assos knowledge can chime in.

Cheers
GJ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I was with the Assos rep for the area. Had a pair of Asso Cento that I got last year, and the brand new pair from a couple of weeks ago. Measured the inseam on both. Shorter on the new pair. He was surprised by this but went away and checked with Assos. Eventually got back to me and sure enough, they confirmed that they shortened the leg. Not sure about other models, but if they made a leg length change, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it across the board. I did try a new pair of Campionissimo's at first, since they gave me a discount as the pair I wrecked were practically brand new. But same thing... I didn't even use them once, just thought hmmm... I know the Cento's fit me great, so I'll just get those instead. That's when I realized that they either changed the sizing big time or changed the cut. So, at least those two models seem to be affected. At least 2cm shorter in the leg.

And you're right about Assos leg length always having been a little shorter than a lot of other brands, but I could live with the length as it was. But now, not so much. Perhaps my cutoff jeans from the 70's will be back in style soon.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

c60rider

by c60rider

I've been an Assos fan for years and the previous FI-13 Campionissimo S5 shorts were the best I've ever owned and I, like many others, have had awful problems with the S7 T equipe shorts. They've got much reduced panelling and it makes the fit poorer as a result and the material quality doesn't feel as good. The main problem is the S7 seat they totally tear me apart underneath after 90 mins of riding where I can ride without problems for hours on the S5 which is no longer available. Assos no longer seem to produce any shorts that come up to the same quality as the FI-13. For me the problem with the seat is that on the previous S5 the padding was stitched to the lycra but not the actual artificial chamois so it helped reduce friction between the skin, chamois and the pad. The S7 is the reverse in that the padding is stitched to the chamois and now creates pressure points (for me and many others according to reviews) and quickly causes chaffing and we know what that means!! Unfortunately the S7 insert is standard across their range so I've been looking for an alternative. I've tried the Rapha Pro team bib shorts II and they seem a lot better, not as good as the S5s but I'm going to purchase some medium ones as I was in between the small and medium size and the chamois is tailored to suit. I've managed 4-5 hours in them and felt ok but I'm not convinced yet! They make those in a regular and long length. The regular matches up with my older assos ones exactly.

Jersey wise I really like Assos but they're a bit random with the sleeve lengths. I've got 3 different styles of jersey and each have different lengths of sleeve so it does nothing for my tan line but the fit is excellent on all of them.

I've just discovered the ultimate in socks which are the Rapha Pro team socks they are incredibly comfortable. I've used all sorts of makes down the years but I can't recommend these more. On the expensive side at £15 but you can get a bundle of 3 for £40 and the fit, feel and comfort when riding is like no other sock I've worn before. Plus they have no branding on them so you can get away with wearing them with Assos kit!

c60rider

by c60rider

MayhemSWE wrote:Bought a pair of of the Campionissimo bib shorts back when they were still fairly new to the market. For some reason the pad on at least my pair had this taped edge which resulted in some bad chafing on sensitive areas.

After using them only a handful of times over the course of about a year I finally contacted Assos. They offered to replace the pad with a newer version without the taped seam, which of course solved all my problems. If you're in a similar situation, contact Assos!

Quite happy with these shorts now, though I'd never even consider buying them at the beyond exorbitant regular pricing… (I got them at a nice discount when Wiggle ran a campaign on all clothing regardless of brand.)

Interesting though I've had my S7s longer than that so not sure they will respond to that as I'd love the old S5 seat in them but it can't do any harm to ask

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Assist and Rapha both have confusing lineups. It's tough to figure out what to order. I have been wearing Eliel but need to get a new kit or two and I'm clueless with assos.

kode54

by kode54

JackRussellRacing wrote:^ I have Assos T.equipe_S7 Bib Shorts which are indeed pretty short -- but more interestingly, they have a (flattering?) bulge construction in the crotch.

Don't get me wrong, the Assos bibs are pretty sweet, but the crotch design makes me mildly self-conscious. I'm not sure I would purchase this same style again.

i don't mind the extra room...i think they call it KuKu Penthouse. unlike most bibs which puts too much pressure there...the extra room in the crotch is a nice welcome.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

ASSOS product line

There are two fits, and four price levels for the s7 shorts.

Mille - Comfort Fit
Equipe - Race Fit
Cento - Comfort Fit
Campionissimo - Race Fit

I have listed these low price to high price.

The product range is being sorted into these categories. Mille jerseys are comfort fit, Equipe are race fit, Cento are comfort fit, and Campionissimo are Race Fit.

With the advances in materials however, it is becoming possible to create garments with a tremendous range of fit. The latest Cento jersey fits this pattern. The materials used have different stretch qualities in different areas, so the fit works for a large range of body types, from the super skinny to the fuller gentlemen.

My advice would be to go to a store and try the product though, and remember it is cut for cycling. It may feel odd or uncomfortable stood in a changing room - but judging cycling clothing off the bike, is like judging cycling shoes by walking in them!

@c60rider - Chaffing with the s7 shorts is normally caused by wearing a size too large. Personally I am a size L in the Equipe, but recently have been riding a size L in the Cento. I feel this is too large for me, so will try a medium. If the sizing is off, the Chamois will move slightly and cause chaffing. Get the right size and it wont move.

Rich @ ASSOS

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They've shortened the leg length. They were already relatively short. For me at least, they are now too short.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

RTW wrote:ASSOS product line

There are two fits, and four price levels for the s7 shorts.

Mille - Comfort Fit
Equipe - Race Fit
Cento - Comfort Fit
Campionissimo - Race Fit

I have listed these low price to high price.

The product range is being sorted into these categories. Mille jerseys are comfort fit, Equipe are race fit, Cento are comfort fit, and Campionissimo are Race Fit.

With the advances in materials however, it is becoming possible to create garments with a tremendous range of fit. The latest Cento jersey fits this pattern. The materials used have different stretch qualities in different areas, so the fit works for a large range of body types, from the super skinny to the fuller gentlemen.

Thank you for the very concise and accurate breakdown of the Assos product lines. While that information is out there, it is usually wrapped in marketing babble.

This plain English breakdown of the product lines in terms of fit and where they sit on the price list is far more useful than any other attempt on countless websites.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I am a shorter rider at 170cm. I'm new to Assos and I find their shorts a good fit and comfortable. I find other brands such as Castelli as being too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com