Experience with the Velobuild frame VB-R-077?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

forardun wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:can they fit 28mm? stiff enough to race? i think i figured out who is manufacturing these

front and rear will clear 28mm (as-measured) easily.
my 25mm (pumps to 25mm) shows room for more.

for manufacturing, i have suspicion there are more than 1 actual manufacturer of these frames, all sharing the same mould (it is non-proprietary, after all).

for example Velobuild and Tantan (under name FM686) advertises T1000 carbon. Longteng advertises T800.

unless you believe:
* they lie
* they use mixed-layup and selective advertising (although why wouldnt you advertise T1000 then)
* these resellers subcontract a specific build (bb, layup) from a single actual manufacturer

i think the infrastructure and model in shenzhen is such that there are more than a few small-scale manufacturer using open moulds for bars, stems, posts, frames, etc.... and of course many many more resellers/marketers

I am pretty sure Longteng is the manufacture. The skype link on their website goes to the same person/account as what is on the Tan Tan site. They are producing frames for ribble which were suppose to come out last month. They told me that their Fm066 and the Dengfu R01 is from the same place.

That is great it can fit 28mm. I was going to buy a FM066 but i heard those can not take 28mm

T1000 can only be used in the smallest amounts anyway I wouldnt fall into to that hype.

crustyshane

by crustyshane

Hey guys. All the above builds look great. They have helped convince me to go for this frameset. I ordered a vb-r-077 from velobuild yesterday and am excited for it to come.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Ribble has released this bike under their name. Looks like we will get some real reviews on it soon. You can pick this frame up for 430$ plus shipping from the source.... will be my next bike.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ultimate-sl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-DTfn1AoA

TokyoBawbag

by TokyoBawbag

For those who have had the bike for some time now, do you have any comments on the flex of the frame? I am on the cusp of placing my order but then i saw a video on YouTube of someone showing some pretty strong frame flex by standing on the pedals on one side.

Also it seems that the Longteng model isn't made with EPS in the molding, but the Huyi and TanTan models do use EPS.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

TokyoBawbag wrote:For those who have had the bike for some time now, do you have any comments on the flex of the frame? I am on the cusp of placing my order but then i saw a video on YouTube of someone showing some pretty strong frame flex by standing on the pedals on one side.

Also it seems that the Longteng model isn't made with EPS in the molding, but the Huyi and TanTan models do use EPS.

Id wait for some reviews of the Ribble Ultimate SL, its the same frame.

Longteng and Tan Tan are the same people, same frames ect.... their skype links goes to the same account LOL

crustyshane

by crustyshane

I have recently built up the velobuild vb-r 077. Was delivered within a week of ordering and paying. Have built up with full ultegra 6800 groupset. I have done about 400km in the last few weeks including a 201km ride with 4150vm of elevation. Speaking from my experience I can say that I can not feel any flex in this frame, and when out of the saddle going all out up a hill etc it feels nice and stiff and responsive. I must say the first few rides were a little nervous hoping that the quality is good and it isn't going to kill me, but now I just ride it and love hills on this bike and would buy one again

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

sib

by sib

crustyshane wrote:I have recently built up the velobuild vb-r 077.

Cool - any pics?
Do you have weights for frame and fork?

crustyshane

by crustyshane

Frame 822g with hanger in 54cm, fork 339 uncut. 312 once cut. I haven't taken any decent photos yet, but will attach a photo, I put the supplied seatpost back on after this photo and have shortened the rear brake cable a little too.
Bike came in at 7kg on the dot with pedals, cages and garmin mount. About 6.6kg with carbon saddle and no pedals, but carbon saddle wmas not comfortable enough.Image

sib

by sib

Very nice - and thanks!
I'm looking at a similar DA C24 + Ultegra build myself.
The fork on the Velobuild seems to be about 50g lighter than on Hong-Fu models.

Just out of curiosity, what other frames have you ridden before this one?

crustyshane

by crustyshane

Thankyou. My other bike is a 2009 scott cr1 team, which is pretty stiff, and have ridden aluminium frame bikes.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

TokyoBawbag wrote:For those who have had the bike for some time now, do you have any comments on the flex of the frame? I am on the cusp of placing my order but then i saw a video on YouTube of someone showing some pretty strong frame flex by standing on the pedals on one side.

Not the soundest of judgement since much of the flex is taken up by the tires and wheels.

BB bracket stiffness is measured in N/mm and all the tested bikes nest pretty close to one-another. Per millimeter of deflection.

For a bike to be visibly flexier by the eyeball test (i.e. multiple degrees or mm more than expected, for the same load)... its gotta to be like 5x 10x softer than the norm. Which is , of course , wholly unreasonable.

IMO atleast.

crustyshane

by crustyshane

sib wrote:
crustyshane wrote:I have recently built up the velobuild vb-r 077.

Cool - any pics?
Do you have weights for frame and fork?

sib

by sib

Nice photo!

I'm on the cusp of buying - just can't decide between Velobuild and Hongfu...

crustyshane

by crustyshane

I can only speak from experience and everything went perfect with velobuild

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clean39T

by Clean39T

waltthizzney wrote:Ribble has released this bike under their name. Looks like we will get some real reviews on it soon. You can pick this frame up for 430$ plus shipping from the source.... will be my next bike.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ultimate-sl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-DTfn1AoA

Source link for the $430 version?Am I daft, or is Ribble not selling "frame only"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk