FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Is anyone running clinchers on the new Feder tubeless rims? Or is that a big no-no? I do see that they come in both hookless for tubeless and hooked for clincher tires. And I’m debating which to go for.

The hookless is a bit lighter and I was wondering if these were safe for clinchers. Reason I am asking is if I get the tubeless/hookless version and end up hating tubeless, could I run clinchers instead? Or what if I have a puncture on tubeless that doesn’t seal and I need to put in a tube to get home; is that safe?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biwa

by biwa

iamraymond wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:46 pm
Is anyone running clinchers on the new Feder tubeless rims? Or is that a big no-no? I do see that they come in both hookless for tubeless and hooked for clincher tires. And I’m debating which to go for.

The hookless is a bit lighter and I was wondering if these were safe for clinchers. Reason I am asking is if I get the tubeless/hookless version and end up hating tubeless, could I run clinchers instead? Or what if I have a puncture on tubeless that doesn’t seal and I need to put in a tube to get home; is that safe?
Hookless for clinchers is probably not a good idea. As for whether it's optimal or OK to run clincher on Feder/Kaze tubeless rims, I'm also looking for an answer. I asked Farsports but they didn't give a clear answer unfortunately.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

If you want to be able to run clinchers, then just go with te hooked version

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Hooked for clinchers has always been the general rule of thumb I’ve followed but it seems like more rim manufacturers are stating that their hookeless rims are compatible with both tubes and tubeless. Confusing as ever!

It would be ideal to have the option to run either type of tire. Is that asking for too much?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

iamraymond wrote:Hooked for clinchers has always been the general rule of thumb I’ve followed but it seems like more rim manufacturers are stating that their hookeless rims are compatible with both tubes and tubeless. Confusing as ever!

It would be ideal to have the option to run either type of tire. Is that asking for too much?
If you want the option to run both, go with the hooked version.

Hookless was originally designed for mtb’s that run very low pressures, it cuts manufacturing costs

Maddie

by Maddie

iamraymond wrote:Is anyone running clinchers on the new Feder tubeless rims? Or is that a big no-no? I do see that they come in both hookless for tubeless and hooked for clincher tires. And I’m debating which to go for.

I have Feder rims, hooked. I'm running them with latex tubes and clinchers. As others said, I wouldn't dare to run clinchers on hookless rims either.

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

Am I correct as to say this version https://www.wheelsfar.com/kaze-26mm-wid ... h-24h.html is a hookless rim version that should be ridden only with tubeless tyres? A shame because the clincher versions only go up to 25mm external width as it seems...

tonchy

by tonchy

I'd say it's hooked.
Only 27mm wide FEDER (disc brake) series is hookless, as far as I can see.

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

tonchy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 am
I'd say it's hooked.
I wonder why they specify tubeless and clincher separately then. But thanks!

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

tonchy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 am
I'd say it's hooked.

biwa

by biwa

Anyone with the newer Kaze series rims (rim brake)? How's the braking comparing to FS' older rims, esp. when it comes to heat generation and brake fade?

tonchy

by tonchy

SCJKJ wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:40 pm
If a rim is hookless, it is usually specified in the description (FEDER, Gravel, all MTB line). :thumbup:

robbosmans

by robbosmans

My rear brake is rubbing when i pedal out of the saddle. I have my wheels for a couple of weeks now, the non driveside spokes are a little bit more loose then the drive side could this be the issue?

Orlok

by Orlok

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:11 pm
My rear brake is rubbing when i pedal out of the saddle. I have my wheels for a couple of weeks now, the non driveside spokes are a little bit more loose then the drive side could this be the issue?

Spokes at the driveside have always a higher tension then those at the non-driveside .!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Any idea why they ar rubbing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com