Contador's olympic bike

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

That bike is pressure right there, pressure to perform.

racyrich

by racyrich

I've never seen a pro with bars so high. Almost saddle height.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Irish

by Irish

Ok, can someone explain why an American made bike for a Spainard has a Flandrian Lion on the Down tube/Head tube junction?

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Irish wrote:Ok, can someone explain why an American made bike for a Spainard has a Flandrian Lion on the Down tube/Head tube junction?

Try to take a closer look at a Spanish flag with the coat of arms included. There's a lion on it identical in shape to the one on Contador's bike.
The lion in the flag was originally red, but after this years Giro d'Italia Spain decided to change it to pink for a year to celebrate Contador's overall victory in Giro d'Italia. Contador felt so honored by this gesture that he decided to bring back the original red colored lion on his bike in respect for his country :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Leon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Spain
Each of the four quadrants represent one of the four kingdoms that were merged to form a unified Spain at the end of the 15th century. Namely, the kingdoms are: Castile, represented by the castle, León, represented by the lion, Aragon, represented by the vertical alternating red and yellow stripes (four red stripes, five yellow stripes), and Navarre, represented by the linked chains. Also the moorish kingdom of Granada is represented by the pomegranate fruit in the bottom of the coat of arms. The impaled fleur de lys represents the ruling House of Borbón. The two columns with the "plus ultra" ensign (meaning "further beyond" in Latin) represent Spanish discovery and colonization of America, the columns being the mythological Pillars of Hercules (of the Strait of Gibraltar, gateway to the Atlantic Ocean). The "Plus Ultra" phrase replaced the former "Non Plus Ultra" (something like "No further from here") before the discovery of America, since Spain was considered "the Westernmost point" on Earth (thus, "no further from here")[3]

djconnel

by djconnel

racyrich wrote:I've never seen a pro with bars so high. Almost saddle height.

Further proof this is just an artistic sketch.

[url=http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2008/probikes/?id=alberto_contador_astana_trek_giro08]Here's Contador's bike:
Image[/url]

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

With or without the colour, I still don't like him and hope someone else wins gold...

Irish

by Irish

Thanks 2 Wheels, every day's a learning day cheers.

Danton

by Danton

It's worked. Just the mere image and many are talking about it. Free publicity for what is only a paint job :roll:

theremery

by theremery

......and a virtual paint job at that!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

kirojira

by kirojira

Joe sixpack didn't have to know where Germany was when they bombed Pearl Harbor. All we needed to know was to bomb those sons of bitches back. Someone in the government knew where to send our ships and planes. So there!

Germany,Pearl Harbor!! Please tell me your being facetious.

As to the Spaniard ridding a bike made in the U.S. , We Canadians like to send our ridders to major events with bikes from all over the world as Canada doesn't make anything worth ridding, just like the spaniards !
I do understand the reasons, It just frustrates me.
Pedal fast•Live slow

theremery

by theremery

.....I quite like rocky mountains (MTBs)....loved my old edge TO (like an amp B2).
Cervelo is Canadian isn't it?....csc do quite well on them, I hear.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

kirojira wrote:Germany,Pearl Harbor!! Please tell me your being facetious.

Yes, as evident by some previous posts, I was being facetious. I am, in fact, very well educated. I had about 19 years of schooling subsequent to learning the difference between your and you're in first grade.

P.S. You never saw Animal House, with perhaps John Belushi's finest performance ever?

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

theremery wrote:Cervelo is Canadian isn't it?

At least Cervélo was a Canadian company.
But from what I have read they have now moved their headquaters from Cervélo Cycles, Inc, Toronto, Canada to the newly founded Cervélo SA, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, where one of the two founders the Dutch Gerard Vroomen now lives. So technically maybe Cervélo is now a Swiss company.
The bikes are still designed and assembled in Toronto though, and manufactured in China.
The design company is a seperate company named Vroomen•White•Design, Toronto, Canada.

There's also other Canadian bike companies, e.g. Rocky Mountain, Guru, Argon18, Louis Garneau, Marinoni, Evereti, Opus and Devinchi.

kirojira

by kirojira

HammerTime2
I didn't mean to offend, and you certainly didn't need to as well.
I too have a few years of education and do not pay much attention to my spelling or wording on the net. It's a lazy habit I developed years ago.
2 wheels & theremery
My comment about canada not making decent bikes was completely sarcastic(I ride an R3). I just became very frustrated a few years back as I watched an olympic hopefull from canada state that this country has given him no support, and that there aren't any bikes from Canada worth ridding competetively. The best part was to watch this beeing broadcast on National TV chanel, where joe sixpack may take the statements at face value. We're very good at complaining about our country! Ooops I'm doing the same
Pedal fast•Live slow

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Irish wrote:Ok, can someone explain why an American made bike for a Spainard has a Flandrian Lion on the Down tube/Head tube junction?

Flandrian?

Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com