are availability issues really gone in 2024...?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:05 am
I searched out the Domane RSL Gen 4 and its only available right from Trek in all sizes cept for one in Canada but only in one colour. Most of the local shops to me show No Stock so I put it in my cart and went to check out with no warnings of a wait time anywhere. I think they give you a heads up before checking out and even though its a frame I might ride with its geometry I dont need an N+1 at this point.
https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/cart

There is only one color of the Domane RSL frame. It is an extremely niche product...a one-day race bike for people with extremely aggressive riding positions. Lidl-Trek's men's team didn't even use it last year.

Shops will be able to see true availability dates in Trek's inventory system (Dexter.)
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it's probably not that odd (although a PITA for those insterested as well) that the top of line 15-20k bikes are being offered in rather limited quantities. but I'm talking entry or middle of the range models here (Reacto 6000 starts at about 3-3,5k euro, 8000 is around 5k) whch should constitute the core of road bicycle sales, no?

funny thing - I asked around and my lbs has had around three CF5 Reacto models since january'23 and only two CF3 (one of which was from the previous year and second was a demo I believe...)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:08 pm
it's probably not that odd (although a PITA for those insterested as well) that the top of line 15-20k bikes are being offered in rather limited quantities. but I'm talking entry or middle of the range models here (Reacto 6000 starts at about 3-3,5k euro, 8000 is around 5k) whch should constitute the core of road bicycle sales, no?
No idea about Merida specifically but there are tons and tons and tons of big brand bikes available in that price range. Talking 50+ overstock per size with European distributors for key models.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

The state of the market currently where more average salaried people are feeling the pinch more than wealthier people.

Most shops I know said they struggled in the mid-range (£1-3000) but bikes above that range they still had comparable demand as previous years

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I put this one in my cart and although its not available from any of my local dealerships cept those that want you to call for availability which likely means they dont have it. Looks like I could check out with it as no warnings given as to stock levels.
https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... p/5283446/
I think this frame would work better for me if I was going to purchase it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 am
I put this one in my cart and although its not available from any of my local dealerships cept those that want you to call for availability which likely means they dont have it. Looks like I could check out with it as no warnings given as to stock levels.
No dealer is going to stock the random frameset you happen to want except by sheer luck. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Shops mostly sell complete bikes to customers who don't really know what they're looking for, and if you do happen to have a specific build in mind, then you'll be willing to put an order in through that shop and wait. Call any shop and ask them to check Trek/Dexter for an estimated ship date. Or just contact Trek through their 800 number.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Lots of cf3 Merida's around in Australia.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:54 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:08 pm
No idea about Merida specifically but there are tons and tons and tons of big brand bikes available in that price range. Talking 50+ overstock per size with European distributors for key models.
that's very true, at least in some cases - I can quite easily order e.g. a Wilier. or a BH. and these are totally niche brands compared to Merida or Trek. and isn't Merida like the 2nd largest bike producers in the world, just after Giant?

of course BH makes bikes here in EU so they don't have to bother with shipping issues, which makes stocking dealers quite easier..

anyway I'm going to a Giant dealer today, wonder what i'll hear over there :lol:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:54 am
and isn't Merida like the 2nd largest bike producers in the world, just after Giant?
Not Merida branded bikes, no. As half owner of Specialized and manufacturing powerhouse along with Merida bikes, maybe.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:43 am
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 am
No dealer is going to stock the random frameset you happen to want except by sheer luck. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Shops mostly sell complete bikes to customers who don't really know what they're looking for, and if you do happen to have a specific build in mind, then you'll be willing to put an order in through that shop and wait. Call any shop and ask them to check Trek/Dexter for an estimated ship date. Or just contact Trek through their 800 number.
I did a chat with Trek and Mara says I can order a frameset from the site but it has to be sent to a Trek dealer in my area. She also says that the frame will be instock if it allowed you to add it to your cart.
I would expect nothing from the dealership and would hopefully just use their shop as a pickup point. The fear is once they have it in their hands they might expect that they are going to build it. The one shop that is near has some competant employees who seem to know their trade and the bikes being built look professionally done at least upon first glance. My joy is building my own bikes and at least I know there is stock in NA.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:03 pm
I did a chat with Trek and Mara says I can order a frameset from the site but it has to be sent to a Trek dealer in my area. She also says that the frame will be instock if it allowed you to add it to your cart.
I would expect nothing from the dealership and would hopefully just use their shop as a pickup point. The fear is once they have it in their hands they might expect that they are going to build it. The one shop that is near has some competant employees who seem to know their trade and the bikes being built look professionally done at least upon first glance. My joy is building my own bikes and at least I know there is stock in NA.

You keep making weird assumptions. Sure a shop would love to build it for you, but they’re not going to hold it for ransom if you don’t order more parts through them. I would highly recommend placing the order through the shop so any problems with delivery are their responsibility and not yours.

ichobi

by ichobi

In s/e asia the feel of the market is that the rich gets the flagship no issue. Not much overstock for the top models given we didn’t get much allocation during the past years. However the real struggle for shops are mid range and entry model from big brands - plenty overstock and massive discounts. Brands that aren’t huge with the fanbase like cannondale sees 40-50% discount easily.

What’s big in the entry-mid levels though are Chinese brands. Seems to sell quite well as the price creeps of big brands really affect accessibility.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bikeboy1tr wrote:
The fear is once they have it in their hands they might expect that they are going to build it.
Why is that a fear? Do you think they would start building it without asking you? Refuse to give it to you unless you agreed to let them build it? Are you just unable to say no if they ask you if you'd like them to build it for you?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Karvalo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:11 am
bikeboy1tr wrote:
The fear is once they have it in their hands they might expect that they are going to build it.
Why is that a fear? Do you think they would start building it without asking you? Refuse to give it to you unless you agreed to let them build it? Are you just unable to say no if they ask you if you'd like them to build it for you?
Well first off I have no plans on buying a Trek and I guess its not really a fear but more of will there be expectations that the dealer get some work out of this transaction and maybe with a little coercion I would give them some bussiness.
If I was to order and send a frameset to a dealership I would definitely talk to that dealer first to clarify that I planned to bring a frame through their dealership and build it myself. This would save me from having to say NO.
I think its just a PITA that I cant have a Trek frame sent to my doorstep since I dont have a dealership around the corner. The dealership I speak of is a 45min drive away.
The point of all this was to show availability of Trek framesets in my area.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:58 am
Well first off I have no plans on buying a Trek and I guess its not really a fear but more of will there be expectations that the dealer get some work out of this transaction and maybe with a little coercion I would give them some bussiness.
There's an expectation that the dealer will get the margin on the frameset. There would be a hope that you would want to spend more money on more goods and services beyond that... but then there's a hope that every person who walks through the front door is going to buy a $10k+ bike, and we're all fully aware that's not going to happen.

And again your strange choice of words - what could you possibly think they'd be able to do to coerce you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com