2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

China Syndrome is when a nuclear reactor melts down and burns through the earth's crust to China.

Wilco Syndrome is when you brake so hard your brake disc melts your hub and spokes!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Apparently the broken spoke wasn't even on the disc side of the hub. Pro riders, bless 'em. Great at pedalling bikes, don't necessarily know much about how they work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

While the idea that a disc brake rotor gets so hot it destroys spokes is pretty far fetched to me, it does imply that there are riders using disc brakes that don't really want to be. Of course if my disc rotor gets hot enough that I think it destroyed my spokes, I'd hate to think what would happen on a rim brake carbon rim.

Lot's of equipment related complaints this year with Wilco's wheels and Gaviria's "$h!t bike".

Then cyclesetforme.fr puplishes an article stating the Colnago V3RS is a "watt sinkhole" and is 15 watts slower than other bikes such as the Canyon Aeroad. That seems like a big difference for two modern aero bikes and it sure hasn't hurt Tadej any.

http://www.cyclesetforme.fr/performance ... orld-tour/
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

LouisN

by LouisN

What a strong sprint finish by Girmay at the Giro !
Someone has to do something about this Italian bubbly, after VDP now Girmay almost lost an eye.
Louis :)

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

LouisN wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:42 pm
Someone has to do something about this Italian bubbly, after VDP now Girmay almost lost an eye.
There was prior mention that they loosen the cork before handing to the rider, so they won't sit there and struggle with it.
Unfortunately this may be worse than a little PR wrinkle of a stuck cork. Those big bottles really pack a punch! :cry:

ooo

by ooo

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18600563/biniam-girmay-giro-ditalia-hospital/

BINIAM GIRMAY was rushed to the hospital just moments after becoming the first Black African to win a Grand Tour stage after popping a champagne cork in his eye.
'

Karvalo

by Karvalo

UpFromOne wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm
LouisN wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:42 pm
There was prior mention that they loosen the cork before handing to the rider, so they won't sit there and struggle with it.
Unfortunately this may be worse than a little PR wrinkle of a stuck cork. Those big bottles really pack a punch! :cry:
The real PR disaster for Italy is that everyone is calling it Champagne.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Karvalo wrote: The real PR disaster for Italy is that everyone is calling it Champagne.

micky

by micky

In other news, I think Bala needs to push the saddle a bit further.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:37 pm
Then cyclesetforme.fr puplishes an article stating the Colnago V3RS is a "watt sinkhole" and is 15 watts slower than other bikes such as the Canyon Aeroad. That seems like a big difference for two modern aero bikes and it sure hasn't hurt Tadej any.

http://www.cyclesetforme.fr/performance ... orld-tour/
I had the pleasure of sharing a few miles with a former world tour pro a few years back and when I asked him if he ever cared about what bike he was riding on a given team, he said "No, for the most part they were all pretty even.... except for a year that he was on a team running Colnago. He was very specific about the fact that they were not using the C series bikes and he said they were like a wet noodle."

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Mocs123 wrote:
It's quite possible that the bike is a bit worse than some of the competitors, but still, he was never close enough to win this year anyway, so it's not like the bike was the reason for his results.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

blaugrana wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:33 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
It's quite possible that the bike is a bit worse than some of the competitors, but still, he was never close enough to win this year anyway, so it's not like the bike was the reason for his results.
You're talking about who now?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mocs123 wrote:
While the idea that a disc brake rotor gets so hot it destroys spokes is pretty far fetched to me, it does imply that there are riders using disc brakes that don't really want to be. Of course if my disc rotor gets hot enough that I think it destroyed my spokes, I'd hate to think what would happen on a rim brake carbon rim.

Right, his opinion on disc brakes is pretty much invalidated by, well, not knowing how anything works.

martocom

by martocom

Girmay out of the Giro.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yep poor lad ImageImage

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓