How much would you pay for an aero road bar with classic bend and full internal routing

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

How much are you willing to pay for an aero road handlebar with traditional bend drops

$250-$500
74%
$500-$750
16%
$750-$1,000
No votes
$1,000-$1,500
11%

Total votes: 19

echappist

by echappist

The articles on the Speeco ABB stem/bar combo set-up got me interested in whether it has the capacity to make custom bars that aren't available from the usual suspects, and the answer is yes, but at an eye-watering cost of ~2000 euros for a modified ABB set-up and ~3000 euros (for bars only).

Much of that, I suspect is due to the development cost needed for prototyping, and I would think that the cost will come down a bit if it could be spread across a few buyers. I've heard elsewhere that in order to bring final per unit cost to a reasonable level (say ~$500 USD), a manufacturer would need to sell at least 25 copies of a handlebar.

That got me thinking, how many people here might be interested in an aero road handlebar having classic bend (i.e. traditional bend), where the handlebar additionally has full internal cable routing for all cables and is available in size 38 to size 44? For background info, Zipp discontinued its Vuka Sprint Traditional Bend a long time ago, as did 3T with the Aerotundo. Ritchey's WCS Streem does not support full internal routing, and I'm not aware of any other product that has both a traditional bend and an aero top section (save for the bar that Canyon makes). Furthermore, none of the above is available in 38 cm.

And if you are interested, how much would you be willing to pay for a bar that no one else is currently making?

blaugrana

by blaugrana

The question with the >2000€ price tag is wether they are actually trying to sell any or if it's just a way around the "must be commercially available" UCI rule (just like you can or could order Adam Hansen's shoes).

As for the aero round bars, it would be interesting to contact some OEM manufacturers and get a quote to see what's the minimum amount that would need to be ordered to get the price down to a reasonable level. I just got the Ritchey bars because they were the closest thing to what you are describing (and my bike has rim brakes and the cables are not fully internal, so I don't care about that), but what bothers me is that the drops seem a bit too shallow on the 40cm width. I still haven't been able to ride with them (or even install them on the bike), but I'm worried that the reduced drop compared to 3T Rotundos might make them uncomfortable when the hands are deep in the drops. I'm not sure how many people are interested in classic bend bars these days, as it seems that most just get used to whatever comes integrated with their bike, but I would consider it if the price was somewhat reasonable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

echappist

by echappist

Thanks for chiming in. Definitely a few things for me to think about (e.g. the commerically available aspect)

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I think there is a market for that perfect bar: aero, correct drop and reach, nicely done integrated stem and di2/EPS/garmin/SRM fitting.

Problem is that we all have a different idea of perfection.

If you hit my sweet spot of 38cm, deda shallow shape in traditional near but not quite parallel to the ground, integrated stem and cabling, would certainly be interested in one for each bike.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

echappist wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:24 am
And if you are interested, how much would you be willing to pay for a bar that no one else is currently making?
Between 200 to 250€. For my Izalco Max, a rim brake external cable frame, a classic bend will be well suited and the aero top for the touch of modernity :D

echappist

by echappist

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 pm
I think there is a market for that perfect bar: aero, correct drop and reach, nicely done integrated stem and di2/EPS/garmin/SRM fitting.

Problem is that we all have a different idea of perfection.

If you hit my sweet spot of 38cm, deda shallow shape in traditional near but not quite parallel to the ground, integrated stem and cabling, would certainly be interested in one for each bike.
I'd be happy to pay $750 each for two bars that has the specs you mentioned.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

It's not something I would buy (at any price point).
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com