Cheapest way to ship a bike from EU to USA?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

engi

by engi

Me and my wife are taking a 10week vacation in Europe. We're cycling for the first half of it, but not planning to use the bikes for the last 4 weeks. Ideally, we'd like to send them back to the US after we're done riding, so we don't have to drag the bikes around on multiple flights, hotels, etc. Our return flight to the USA is out of Rekjavik. We'd like to ship the bikes from Munich or Vienna.
Each bike is in a bike case. We flew with them to Italy like this.
I checked bikeflights.com/UPS and DHL, and the prices quoted are $400+ per bike. Same if I try to send them to Rekjavik from Munich.
Any ideas for cheaper options?
Thanks!

damond

by damond

Even if you find a cheaper way to ship them, you'll have to deal with USA customs upon arrival!

I think your best shot is to keep the bikes with you all the way to the end of the trip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

If you're shipping from Italy use the normal Poste Italiane.
For a whole bike shipped to US, you're looking at around 100 euro each including insurance.

https://www.poste.it/prodotti/poste-delivery-globe.html

Im sure you will have similar option in Austria/Germany.

Grobar

by Grobar

Same thing from Switzerland with laposte.ch, you can ship a bike for aproximatively 130$.
But you have to be careful with dimensions, usually they allow a postage of max 100×60×60cm.

engi

by engi

Thank you all! It looks like Italian post is our best option, since their size limits are more friendly towards bike cases