2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

peted76

by peted76

About bloody time! Spotted, redesigned Spesh Evade Helmet - https://twitter.com/BORAhansgrohe (new front and rear 'side' vents, possibly lost some of the 'tail').

nemeseri

by nemeseri

micky wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:51 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:37 am
My guess, is that he was taking the oral or perhaps even the injected version for the anabolic properties and knew that he had the TUE for the use of the inhaler as a scapegoat in case he messed up with the timing. I'd even argue that Team Sky, in their marginal gains wisdom thought, he's got the TUE, he's allowed to have it, let's get him as close as we possibly can to maxed out on the drug and then, due to dehydration, improper timing, etc... he was over... oops.
Already in Petacchi case there was a lot of talking that the only explanation could have been an injection for have such a high value.
This interview is pretty interesting on cyclingtips with Dr. Conor McGrane: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/12/certain ... oome-case/

TLDR; They could use a nebuliser and get these high readings with only one vial. Also the doctor says that the blood doping idea is sci-fi.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

nemeseri wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:25 pm
micky wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:51 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:37 am
My guess, is that he was taking the oral or perhaps even the injected version for the anabolic properties and knew that he had the TUE for the use of the inhaler as a scapegoat in case he messed up with the timing. I'd even argue that Team Sky, in their marginal gains wisdom thought, he's got the TUE, he's allowed to have it, let's get him as close as we possibly can to maxed out on the drug and then, due to dehydration, improper timing, etc... he was over... oops.
Already in Petacchi case there was a lot of talking that the only explanation could have been an injection for have such a high value.
This interview is pretty interesting on cyclingtips with Dr. Conor McGrane: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/12/certain ... oome-case/

TLDR; They could use a nebuliser and get these high readings with only one vial. Also the doctor says that the blood doping idea is sci-fi.
Good read, pretty much confirms everything I've read about it, especially the distinction between administration method--high levels are high levels, it just takes less to get there when injected or taken orally. Emphasis on he's expected to serve a 6-12 month ban, no way in hell is he going to reproduce the issue to prove that its normal, and this bit:
I think it is important to remember that the 1000 nanograms (the UCI limit) of this isn’t the expected dose. It is above the maximum dose that anyone should be using, ever.
which puts the 2000+ Ngs/ML of both of his samples into perspective

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

petepeterson wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:55 am
Been saying it here for yrs. getting july froome skinny is just not possible clean. rumour is lotto guys taking sleeping pills to fall asleep starving. pro cycling is just depressing sometimes.
It’s not just a question of getting skinny it’s about keeping performance and that is not possible by just starving yourself . He would be taking clenbutarol,maybe some steroids etc . That’s how he looks that way . For those that have not seen some of these riders in the flesh some of them look insane ( not in a good way) They certainly don’t look like some weekend warrior who has low body fat . The effect of the PED’s makes them look complety different. Vascularity definition etc.
Posters are also missing the point that when he got tested he may have already been to
The toilet etc so his levels could ( most probably) were higher than when he tested.
Sky do seem to have taken it to a new level when you look at the amount of riders that they have when blasting up the last climb in a grand tour . I mean you had sometimes 5 riders dropping some of the best climbers in the world . If that’s not alarm bells then what the fudge is.
It’s the same with the GB track team look at the performances they manage at the olympics . All of a sudden we see riders who were getting beat for most of the year breaking world records.
Please don’t give me the marginal gains BS , just swap marginal gains for PED’s and then you have the truth .
I’m shocked this has come out. Sky are the main money attraction in cycling right now so I’m surprised. Brailsford has definitely pi%%ed someone off.
Remember how nearly all the Jamaican team got busted for drugs yet Bolt was not ever under any real suspicion, that’s becasue he’s the number 1 money maker for athletics . You don’t to touch the gold goose . Sport is just entertainment nothing more ,it’s about big money and a gullible public.

romalor

by romalor

British Cycling care less about WC in track cycling than olympics from what I've heard
They have all the good stuff only the year of olympics
the rest of the time ... meuhhh

Rondje

by Rondje

petepeterson wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:55 am
rumour is lotto guys taking sleeping pills to fall asleep starving. pro cycling is just depressing sometimes.
Not a rumour and was just 3 guys, 2 suspsended for 2 months and 1 (Lobato) kicked out of the team for it. Pretty farily done as Lotto themself went public with this and the management and other team members where shocked by it because it's not alloud to use/distribute medicine with out team doctors knowledge.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

romalor wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:41 pm
British Cycling care less about WC in track cycling than olympics from what I've heard
They have all the good stuff only the year of olympics
the rest of the time ... meuhhh
yup, pretty clear from the times they produce during the olympics compared to world cups

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

French are going to look into mechanical doping. I am glad. I would like to see which big names were using motors. potentially LA? Cancellera? Heyjesdal?

TonyM

by TonyM

How are they going now to check if these guys used mechanical doping?

EDIT "how": http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... kes-363888

Antoine

by Antoine

TonyM wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 am
How are they going now to check if these guys used mechanical doping?
it's funny that even cyclingtips is referring to a news coming from a satirical/garbage french newspaper.

If it's true, I guess the judges will give the power to the police or gendarmerie to do some interviews and searchs (but only in France).
And show up at some french races to look at some bikes, ask the motor manufacturer to provide a list of his customer (in case a suspect like Brailsford used his own credit card to buy some).
But unlike some suspects (like Cancellara and his former mechanic) are living in France and still have a bike with a motor I don't see what they can do and what they are going to find.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Apparently they are chasing the money trail. With police power this changes everything and I can see heads rolling.someone will give up someone to avoid jail time. One whistleblower is all that it takes.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

mike wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 am
Apparently they are chasing the money trail. With police power this changes everything and I can see heads rolling.someone will give up someone to avoid jail time. One whistleblower is all that it takes.
Remember though ,that whistle blower needs concrete proof. Unless your accusing Russia :lol:

peted76

by peted76

Good article over on velonews on how this latest scandal could burst the UK cycling bubble - http://www.velonews.com/2017/12/comment ... ble_453430

jekyll man

by jekyll man

peted76 wrote: Good article over on velonews on how this latest scandal could burst the UK cycling bubble - http://www.velonews.com/2017/12/comment ... ble_453430
Not sure where this "uk cycling bubble" is... i've not seen any real change/attitude to cycling; probably written by someone thats never been here :noidea:
Official cafe stop tester

maquisard

by maquisard

jekyll man wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:03 pm
Not sure where this "uk cycling bubble" is... i've not seen any real change/attitude to cycling;
Really?!, the engagement in cycling in the UK has grown massively in the past ten years., as has the retail market for cycling products. This isn't anecdotal evidence, it is backed up by real market stats.

If anything the cycling market in the UK has already begun to slow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com