Aero postion on the road, your take?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

TBH I thought the latest advice was narrow rather than low

AGW

by AGW

For a true TT position, yes. But without clip-ons or TT bars with pads (just resting your forearms on the tops), your elbows will still flair out even when the hands are narrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

TheKaiser wrote:@HillRPete: That setup is crazy looking, I look forward to hearing how the TT goes!

It went ok. Goal was to average 38kph, and I did 38.3 on the 46km course, which was good enough to put me around 1/3rd down in the under 40 age group. The course was quite demanding, turny and with barely a flat section, with rollers ranging from small to medium to steep with a drag on top. Guess most of the difference was all the riding I did in the drops lately, and then maybe the aero tweaks shaved off another few seconds.

Goal for next year is to do over 39kph avg, ideally around 39.5 which might have gotten you top ten in the age group (9th - 11th all had 39.5).

Maybe I have to do another road gear TT next weekend :mrgreen:

KWalker

by KWalker

If your focus is on TT's why haven't you done the many free DIY aero tests that actually determine drag coefficient or which setup is actually the most aero. Not that hard really.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Marin

by Marin

KWalker wrote:If your focus is on TT's why haven't you done the many free DIY aero tests that actually determine drag coefficient or which setup is actually the most aero. Not that hard really.

Sounds interesting - Got a link to one of those?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

marin,

I presume karsten means Chung aerolab in Golden Cheetah.

I should really use it myself, but it needs to be in a reliable repeatable environment.
A lot of guys on the timetrialling forum swear by it (perhaps thats why they're faster than me) :?
Official cafe stop tester

HillRPete

by HillRPete

KWalker wrote:If your focus is on TT's why haven't you done the many free DIY aero tests that actually determine drag coefficient or which setup is actually the most aero.

That was the first (non uphill) TT I targeted a bit really. Maybe I have to take it up a notch next year and be more systematic about the tuning. In any case I think the biggest gain is to be made from doing lots of workouts in the tuck, to get really used to it.

Anyway, do people think the Cinelli Ram 3 would make a good handlebar for road TTs? I've been wondering if one could rest the wrists on top, and grab the computer mount for a little stability and steering. That would be a somewhat moderate approach, compared to the crazy ugly Sphinx/Zefiro/younameit bars that have come out lately.
I'm quite keen on building a steel aero bike now.

BmanX

by BmanX

I personally would go for the Pro Bars as they have the two mounting bolts under the stem and I bet you could fashion something to hold onto that would still be behind the frontal plan of the shifters.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

any pictures of u riding this thing mate?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

In the end I didn't really get the elbows in front of the knees, when moving forward a bit on the saddle under effort. Looking at it myself it seems I could benefit from a bit more reach, whatever way that might be put into practice (sphinx on the hoods, ghost aero bars, etc). Also I didn't mess with the saddle setback, moving to the front might allow to flatten the back a bit?
Last edited by HillRPete on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuki

by Cuki

Damn, I need those Arm Warmers

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

so u rode this hilly course with your arms near the center?

if so, personally i think i'd want a wider reach on hoods or drops for the leverage in a merckx style TT

KWalker

by KWalker

lol wow, just wow. Good luck with your future riding endeavors with this setup.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HillRPete

by HillRPete

KWalker: bit of a one-off for sure. Don't take me too seriously. Or the sport in general ...

jekyll man

by jekyll man

from my experience, a frame that is too small doesn't climb well.

Looking at your pic's, i reckon you'd be far better off on a bigger bike and being able to use the drops.
It would stop you being crunched up, enabling better muscle usage, as well as being probably more aero.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com