Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pmprego

by pmprego

It's on cyclingtips. One of those websites. It was spotted in bora team.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

texano999

by texano999

i have installed 28 inch tyre gp 5000 on roval terra clx and works great! perferct profile between tyre and rims and 31.5mm width tyre measured!

texano999

by texano999

ryanw wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:04 pm
New S-Works tubeless tyre to go with their new (old) tubeless Roval Rapide CLX wheels.
new roval wheel hookless?

sigma

by sigma

texano999 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:28 am
ryanw wrote:
New S-Works tubeless tyre to go with their new (old) tubeless Roval Rapide CLX wheels.
I believe it's just the Roval Rapide CLX being used with tubeless setup. Many of us (RyanW included) have run it this way from the start noting that the hook shape was identical to the CLX 50 which was tubeless rated. Specialized is just making it official now.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

pmprego

by pmprego

sigma wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:57 pm
texano999 wrote:
ryanw wrote:
I believe it's just the Roval Rapide CLX being used with tubeless setup. Many of us (RyanW included) have run it this way from the start noting that the hook shape was identical to the CLX 50 which was tubeless rated. Specialized is just making it official now.
Something they will have to say it changed. Unless it's a new tire release that they'll say is specific for the rapide and alpinist.

gSporco

by gSporco

pmprego wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:31 pm
sigma wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:57 pm
texano999 wrote:
ryanw wrote:
Something they will have to say it changed. Unless it's a new tire release that they'll say is specific for the rapide and alpinist.
This is just my two cents based on very little fact... I think the Rapide and Alpinist both started out to be Tubeless compatible from the start, but do to the variation in Tubeless tire availability at that time Roval probably showed a certain probability of failure with some of those choices.

To be more specific, they probably found that some tire such as the Conti 5000 TL (old not current) were to tight and could possibly damage the rim, and they probably tested on the other end of the spectrum where tires were to lose. I know in my personal experience running tubeless I have encountered both extremes, some tires just slip on and are lose and are a pain to seat, and others require tire levers.

Being that Road Tubeless is operating in the 50-73PSI range, I can only assume their testing showed some bad possibilities on either end of the spectrum.

This is why you see brands like Enve and Zipp specifying exactly what brand and size tire they authorize for use.. Id expect Specialized to release a statement saying these new tires are the "only" ones they authorize to run tubeless on the Rapide or Alpinist, but Im sure others exist and many of you have tested it already.

Again, thats my theory.. just a random dude on the internet :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pmprego

by pmprego

I buy the "only our tires are safe to use on our wheels". It's kind of a shame as I praise specialized for not going proprietary parts. This would be a somehow proprietary thing.

But it's their way of solving a problem they created without going into too many expenses.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

"Very fast, very grippy"
Attachments
A3E11BC8-BF4F-4E2B-B1E1-7AF787931747.png
A5FA2BD2-85D3-4284-AB2D-B31E37540927.png
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

ryanw wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:21 am
"Very fast, very grippy"
Did you already try them on your rapides? :)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

ryanw wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:21 am
"Very fast, very grippy"
A fan of Specialized tyres since the Turbo Cotton days, any hints when these become available? :thumbup:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

frostorama

by frostorama

Alpinist CLX and Rapide CLX are on sale on specialized website, clearing out stock ahead of a new models?

Archie100

by Archie100

frostorama wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:09 pm
Alpinist CLX and Rapide CLX are on sale on specialized website, clearing out stock ahead of a new models?
Bit disgusted (with myself more than anything) for buying new set of Roval Rapide CLX wheels only a few weeks ago from my local Spesh store. I don't need them until middle of May so they have not been used yet so I'm hoping that the new Tubeless wheels will either be much heavier or won't be available in stores until next year :D and it was a decision I won't be kicking myself over...but I don't think that will be the case. The wheels I got will still be a great set of wheels I'm sure but it would have been nice to have the option to run tubless.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ that day was coming the day they announced them.. being officially non-tubeless and all.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

frostorama wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:09 pm
I don't see them on sale in the US...
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8