FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
DHG01

by DHG01

RD270 45 mm depth being shipped.
These come with Campy N3W freehub body.

They also come with no holes in the rim bed; supposedly easier tubeless set up/harder maintenance.
Attachments
IMG_0647.jpeg
IMG_0646.jpeg

Agent041

by Agent041

No holes in rim???
How will you true the wheel With this kind of carbon spokes?
These carbon spokes are different than that come with DT Swiss and others, and are to be trued through the rim holes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

I would tend to think the nipples are external? How were they laced? Not sure trueing is the problem; more the spoke replacement?
Anyway....anxious to see what is on its way!

Agent041

by Agent041

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 am
I would tend to think the nipples are external? How were they laced? Not sure trueing is the problem; more the spoke replacement?
I am im process of buying carbon spokes on RD270 and have specially asked if the trueing can be done external or internal from the rim holes, and they said that only from rim holes. Those "nipples" are not meant to be trued from outside. In fact I think it is not even possible. Unless somehow there is a new version, where they make one side of carbon spokes and have them made as for the other hub wheels. Like DTSwiss hub.

If I were you, I would definatelly douple check with them

DHG01

by DHG01

Agent041 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 am
DHG01 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 am
I am im process of buying carbon spokes on RD270 and have specially asked if the trueing can be done external or internal from the rim holes, and they said that only from rim holes. Those "nipples" are not meant to be trued from outside. In fact I think it is not even possible. Unless somehow there is a new version, where they make one side of carbon spokes and have them made as for the other hub wheels. Like DTSwiss hub.

If I were you, I would definatelly douple check with them
Might need to do that. Spoke with Tom ahead of ordering.
How are they then laced? Or are you assuming there are holes in the rim bed?

Agent041

by Agent041

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:00 am
Might need to do that. Spoke with Tom ahead of ordering.
How are they then laced? Or are you assuming there are holes in the rim bed?
Someone else can probably explain better. But as I understand, the end of carbon spoke is a bit wider, and onto that you have the nipple around the spoke, so when you pull, it does not come off thew spoke. It is not threaded.

Where on other clasic hubds, that are not made specific for carbon spokes, like DTSwiss, they are glued to the end of carbon spokes. And therefore is more risk of braking the spokes. That is why it is recommended to have carbon spokes with their RD270, that is specially made for carbon spokes.

And on classical way of making the spokes, naturally you can true it outside the rim. But with this process of carbon spokes (bonded around the carbon spoke, and with no possibility for the nipple to came off) you can only true from rim hole.

That is why wheels with RD270, RD360 have rim holes, and for others (like DtSwiss) you do not have holes, as trueing is from outside.

Strange that Farsport gave you this rim with no holes on RD270. Or did you specially asked for no rim holes rim?

DHG01

by DHG01

I did specifically ask. Really curious now!

Note from Farsports ahead of ordering

For the the carbon spoke wheels we can make without spoke holes over the rim bed. But this will need to work with our specifically design hub.
For those wheels without spoke hole over the rim bed, the changing spoke service will be a little bit time consuming. And the traditonal version would be more convenient for the after sales service or spoke changing .

Thanks & Best Regards

Agent041

by Agent041

Copied from WhatsApp conversation from yesterday as I am in process of ordering wheels with RD270:

My question:
Does one need to remove the tyre and rim tape to true the spokes? (any specific wrench needed?) or can it be done from outside of the rim?
Their answer:
It has to remove the rim tape and tyre to true the wheels

DHG01

by DHG01

Ok; but that is assuming same nipples, right? The wheels are laced. By that logic, what I think you are saying is that the rims have holes- that is where the misunderstanding lays.

I am so curious now.

Agent041

by Agent041

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:04 am
Ok; but that is assuming same nipples, right? The wheels are laced. By that logic, what I think you are saying is that the rims have holes- that is where the misunderstanding lays.

I am so curious now.
Yes. Still "no rim holes" is questionable. You should definatelly clear that with them.

Let us know what they will say.

toxin

by toxin

you have to completely remove the tyre and tape to true them

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

timmerrr wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:13 pm
pedalbasher wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:45 pm
Hi

Can't make up my mind between the RD270 or Extralite hub. This is a dream build so I am not too concerned about the extra money, but is there any reason (aside from £££) not to go for the Extralite hubs?

On the shallowest rims with carbon spokes we are looking at a weight saving of 94g if I go with the Extralite over the RD270. But the Extralite is 6-bolt so there are additional weight savings to be had there when you factor in rotors.

Overall it's looking like about 130g lighter for the Extralite hubs on the FSD30 rims vs RD270 hubs on the FSD35 rims.

Will probably go for the Extralites but just wondered if I am missing a trick or likely to face issues with practicality.

Thanks
The spokes for the extralites are different and much more failure prone. Check out the failure that just happened in the Light Bicycle thread. The spokes used in the RD270 hub are different and do not have bonded in inserts like the ones that are used in normal hubs.
Thank you for the heads up. I'm not going to risk Extralite hubs with carbon spokes. Going to go for the 30mm deep, 24/30 wide, Extralite hub, CX-Super spokes. I think that's the lightest configuration possible without going for narrower rims, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone know if they will spec Berd spokes?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Doesnt hurt to ask, i know deerobust does

jecgarci

by jecgarci

Just sharing my Hyper 35 with RD270 and carbon spokes. 28mm Vittoria Graphene 2.0.

Initial impression is that it holds speed better than my roval alpinist clx 1 at 40-45kph, maybe because its stiffer with carbon spokes or maybe its was just a good day for my legs lol. I have yet to try it in longer climbs in my area so i'll just update this post once I do.
Attachments
IMG_3338.jpeg

Agent041

by Agent041

jecgarci wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:00 pm
Just sharing my Hyper 35 with RD270 and carbon spokes. 28mm Vittoria Graphene 2.0.

Initial impression is that it holds speed better than my roval alpinist clx 1 at 40-45kph, maybe because its stiffer with carbon spokes or maybe its was just a good day for my legs lol. I have yet to try it in longer climbs in my area so i'll just update this post once I do.
Good combination (frame/wheels). How responsive are the wheels. Is it low inertia? And how are they comparing them to Alpinist CLX in responsivness?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com