55-65mm deep aero wheels (rim brake) for 28mm rubber?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

In these days of rim bake burial i still wonder, are there any deeper aero wheelsets designed for 28mm tires?
Seems as aero rim brake tech kind of stopped (talking OD of rim) around 23 tops 25mm tires.
I mostly look for options between 55-65mm deep.

All inputs are appreciated :-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Anything from Light Bicycle, Elite Drive, 2023 Winspace Hyper

Hexsense

by Hexsense

^ Not quite everything. But they do have some that fit the criteria. All the manufacturers mention above also make rims that are optimized for 23 or 25, but can be used with 28c. But since you target 28c specifically, just get one that really design for 28.

For 28mm tire, outer width (OW) of the rim should be at least 27mm to be "relatively" aero. But 29.5-32mm wide is preferred optimal, so that rim is slightly wider than the tire.
But then rim brake put limit on how wide the rim can be. So anything over 30mm can be too wide.

I vote Light-Bicycle AR56 rim brake. It is 23mm internal width (IW), and 30mm outer width (OW). This is probably as wide as it will get for rim brake. Some brake calipers with limited clearance may need thin brake pads like Swissstop Blackprince EVO though.
Their upgraded brake track (groove graphene brake track, available in customization option during order) works super well.
The only downside that make it not the standard option are 1) it cost a tiny bit more 2) it eat pads faster than a smoother brake track.
Make sure to get that option instead of standard brake track.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:28 pm
^ Not quite everything. But they do have some that fit the criteria. All the manufacturers mention above also make rims that are optimized for 23 or 25, but can be used with 28c. But since you target 28c specifically, just get one that really design for 28.

For 28mm tire, outer width (OW) of the rim should be at least 27mm to be "relatively" aero. But 29.5-32mm wide is preferred optimal, so that rim is slightly wider than the tire.
But then rim brake put limit on how wide the rim can be. So anything over 30mm can be too wide.

I vote Light-Bicycle AR56 rim brake. It is 23mm internal width (IW), and 30mm outer width (OW). This is probably as wide as it will get for rim brake. Some brake calipers with limited clearance may need thin brake pads like Swissstop Blackprince EVO though.
Their upgraded brake track (groove graphene brake track, available in customization option during order) works super well.
The only downside that make it not the standard option are 1) it cost a tiny bit more 2) it eat pads faster than a smoother brake track.
Make sure to get that option instead of standard brake track.
Noted AR56 is 28mm wide at brake track and also not wider lower down, while AR55 is 28mm at brake track but leading edge is 30mm, so it seems AR55 is the wider of these two.
Sadly Elites rim brake wheels are maximum 50mm deep, that's too low.
I would prefer something like 55-60 or similar.
Strangely i can get a set of Zipp FC 404 at more or less, same price as a set of AR55 with DT 240 hubs.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

There are two versions of AR56.
The 30mm wide is the original. It is the one that test super well on Hambini aero test despite being wider than most other rims in the chart.
Then people complain that it's too wide for their caliper.
So, Light-bicycle also make a slightly narrower 28mm wide AR56 as well. But confusingly, they use the same name...

EDIT: sadly, it seems they phase out this model for rim brake..., AR55 take its place at a higher price.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html
They still keep it for disc brake though, which isn't useful for your bike
https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-Grave ... tible.html

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The advice I'd give for anyone looking to optimize for rim brake is to get a rim that is 21mm internal and 28mm external (lots of options in this category), and mount some decent sized 25mm tires. The actual tire measure will be 28mm, so good aero optimization. I've done this for all my rim brake bikes and the performance has been excellent. I am 77kg and can run as low as 70 psi, but I prefer 75 - 80 - surprisingly comfortable on bad roads. And I am a fan of big tires - I run 28 and 30mm tires at 60 - 65 psi on my factor on 25mm internal, 32 external rims. The fatter setup is not more comfortable than my 25mm at 75psi. IMO no reason to go with wider rims for rim brake. If you are riding super shitty roads, than just fit bigger tires and forget about aero optimization.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:03 pm
There are two versions of AR56.
The 30mm wide is the original. It is the one that test super well on Hambini aero test despite being wider than most other rims in the chart.
Then people complain that it's too wide for their caliper.
So, Light-bicycle also make a slightly narrower 28mm wide AR56 as well. But confusingly, they use the same name...

EDIT: sadly, it seems they phase out this model for rim brake..., AR55 take its place at a higher price.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html
They still keep it for disc brake though, which isn't useful for your bike
https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-Grave ... tible.html
I wouldn't want 23mm wide internally!
I guess the AR55 would be my choice.
But, in no hurry.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:04 am
The advice I'd give for anyone looking to optimize for rim brake is to get a rim that is 21mm internal and 28mm external (lots of options in this category), and mount some decent sized 25mm tires. The actual tire measure will be 28mm, so good aero optimization. I've done this for all my rim brake bikes and the performance has been excellent. I am 77kg and can run as low as 70 psi, but I prefer 75 - 80 - surprisingly comfortable on bad roads. And I am a fan of big tires - I run 28 and 30mm tires at 60 - 65 psi on my factor on 25mm internal, 32 external rims. The fatter setup is not more comfortable than my 25mm at 75psi. IMO no reason to go with wider rims for rim brake. If you are riding super shitty roads, than just fit bigger tires and forget about aero optimization.
I run 63-65 front and 73 Psi rear on 28mm (Zipp FC 303) and i weight less than you (66.5kgs). Feels great using Schwalbe Pro One TLE.
Use 25mm Corsa G2 mounted on Schmolke TLO 45. Zipp ride more plush with same tires.
Even rode Zipp FC 303 fat old Schwalbe S-One (30mm) at the begining of the season (much gravel left in the roads since sanding snow and ice here).
Got tubular 25mm Corsa to (Ax Premium 38T wheelset)

But i have an urge to test deeper wheels (and wider) than LB's offering. No issues with +30mm true size tires on my bike.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:43 am

But, in no hurry.
Ah, right.
I forgot you don't like that kind of combo.
My AR56 is a perfect pair with 25mm Continental GP5000. And 28mm is also good.
2022 ETRTO spec endorse 25mm tire on 23mm IW rim. It's officially supported fitting. Then 28mm tire on 23mm IW is even more comfortably within optimal range.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:49 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:43 am

But, in no hurry.
Ah, right.
I forgot you don't like that kind of combo.
My AR56 is a perfect pair with 25mm Continental GP5000. And 28mm is also good.
2022 ETRTO spec endorse 25mm tire on 23mm IW rim. It's officially supported fitting. Then 28mm tire on 23mm IW is even more comfortably within optimal range.
It's just me, i wouldn't feel confident with such wide rims. To be totally honest, i think 19mm ID is what would prefer.
If i would use 23-24mm tires on the front and wider on the rear. I think 28mm would be fattest i would use for a front tire and an aero rim.
Anyway, It could be that all of a sudden i fell for the idea of having a more narrow front (aiming at narrow tire) hitting the wind.
I just wonder since wheels seems to be available, how long will Sram support new rim brake tech?
I just dislike the hydraulics to much to be honest. Too much hassle ..
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

romanmoser

by romanmoser

sram rim brake tech ?
well their rim brakes suck
always have
and not improved in age except visually ...

They got their axs red and force levels levers available

So you good for a while
Just get ee brakes or dura ace 9100
Anything but schram calipers

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I'm also looking for that "last rim brake wheelset", which corresponds pretty well to the requirements set by OP.
But then I also thought, why not bling it out full 200%, that is, try carbon spokes as well.

Basically that leaves 2 options:
LB AR56 for rim (on Carbon Tis) and Winspace Hyper 2023 rim - except that Winspace has either 45 or 65mm deep profiles.
Weights are pretty much similar, prices too (excluding shipping n'stuff).

I wonder which of those two might be better, or am I splitting hairs here?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

choochoo46

by choochoo46

I have the original AR56s (23mm inner, 30mm outer) and like hexsense have run them with 25mm GP5000 TLRs and now the Michelin Power Cups 25s. The GPS measured around 28mm mounted and the Power Cups just under 30. So the GPs are a better aero fit.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

Princeton Carbonworks make all their wheels for rim brakes as well as disc. The Dual 5550 (22mm internal) are a good looking option if you want a wide and deep rim brake wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

thebikemanguy wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:22 am
Princeton Carbonworks make all their wheels for rim brakes as well as disc. The Dual 5550 (22mm internal) are a good looking option if you want a wide and deep rim brake wheel.
Absolutely, they are great wheels, except for the price. Even the "full bling" custom options I described above are 2x or more cheaper.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike