Quick question - fulcrum wind 40 db

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Are they ok?

I know someone ( friend of a friend ) selling a pair of 2020s for 375 euro

They'll be going on a winter bike so not too fussy. 27 external 19 internal and 40mm deep 1620g
No damage to the carbon but ive yet to look at them for myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I've been on a pair of Fulcrum Speed 40db since about March, just over 3,200 km on them to date. I believe that, other than finish, the rims are fairly similar, though the Speeds have different spokes/lacing and hubs. Specifically, the Speeds have 21 spokes in the usual Fulcrum/Campy 2:1/G3 spoke lacing and cup/cone bearings with slightly different hubshells. The Winds use 24 spokes in a slightly different 2:1 spoke lacing and sealed cartridge bearings. For Shimano, the Speeds come with the lighter (white) freehub, while I believe the Winds come with the heavier (bronze/silver) freehub.

The Speeds have been great. I run them tubeless using Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik/Performance (f/r). I love that I don't have to faff about with rim tape with these rims (the Winds will be the same). I just wore my rear tire down to the cords and will be replacing this evening; the front still looks fine. I'm sure the Winds would be great too, as long as they're in good nick, and excellent for a winter bike.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

probably the least carbon-feel wheels i have tried lol. at the time i also have fulcrum racing 5 and the wind 40 rides so unlike carbon wheels. feels some what heavy up the slope, sluggish to accelerate, and just very cheap hub/cartridge bearings feel. i sold mine after a few rides.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

I went ahead a picked them up yesterday. They're basically new with new fulcrum bearings and a new XDR freehub.
There is some slight yellowing to the clear coat but I'll see if I can polish that out later.

These are going on a winter gravel bike so they don't need to be the best carbon wheels ever ever ever, I'm more interested in any issues such as nipple pull or general hub stuff.

It's not a wheelset I'd usually buy but for 350 euro they were cheap and available locally.

Weight was 1616 g with the two threaded collars to tighten the rotors.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Quick update.

These wheels love schwalbe tubeless tires and inflate instantly.
However, I want to use panaracers they're too loose, so even with one side seated they won't play ball.
Even the compressor wouldn't work it's magic so I'll probably try a wrap of tape to take up some slack.

This is the first factory carbon wheelset i've used in years, and I'd put the rim quality well below lightbike, Reynolds and probably Ican.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Another update in case this if sound by someone searching for these wheels.
The hubs are ok but they don't like 6 bolt to centre lock adapters as the hubs use a proprietary lock ring.
If you use native ventrelock rotors it wouldn't be a problem but I didn't know that going into this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com