Mid price mid depth clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TQ1

by TQ1

Hi, I'm after a new set of rim brake for good weather riding only. I want to run 25-28mm tyres, clinchers.

Was thinking Token Konax Pro (52mm deep carbon 1450g).

or Vision Metron SL 40mm, again 1400-1450g.

My only concern is quality of the hubs, and is a 21 spoke rear wheel going to be stiff enough. Would you favour one over the other, price is equal between the two.

FFWD seem to be discontinuing rim brake clinchers and are more expensive with the DT240 hub or heavy with the 350.

Fulcrum Wind 40c again, 1550g so a little heavier.

Fat sports and similar are around 25% cheaper than the Vision and Token but I have concern about paying import taxes and charges making the price comparable or more.

I'm a 80kg rider with an FTP of around 4wkg little higher in summer perhaps. Mostly solo riding at the minute so not masses of sprinting.

I have a set of quality alloy clinchers for winter/wet riding on a separate bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Bora Ultra 50mm 2nd hand?

Only if you're in doubt to miss out getting the "full package".

All the wheels mentioned look fine to me. The fulcrums have an edge in stiffness/braking/hub smoothness, but at a weight penalty.

All the wheels are aerodynamically optimized for 25c tires. If you intend to put a 28c on the front wheel, that's when maybe choosing a wider rim now would have been a better choice. 28c on the back wheel is no big problem as it's out of the wind = 25/28c combo.

gb901

by gb901

TQ1 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:52 pm
Hi, I'm after a new set of rim brake for good weather riding only. I want to run 25-28mm tyres, clinchers.

Was thinking Token Konax Pro (52mm deep carbon 1450g).

or Vision Metron SL 40mm, again 1400-1450g.

My only concern is quality of the hubs, and is a 21 spoke rear wheel going to be stiff enough. Would you favour one over the other, price is equal between the two.

FFWD seem to be discontinuing rim brake clinchers and are more expensive with the DT240 hub or heavy with the 350.

Fulcrum Wind 40c again, 1550g so a little heavier.

Fat sports and similar are around 25% cheaper than the Vision and Token but I have concern about paying import taxes and charges making the price comparable or more.

I'm a 80kg rider with an FTP of around 4wkg little higher in summer perhaps. Mostly solo riding at the minute so not masses of sprinting.

I have a set of quality alloy clinchers for winter/wet riding on a separate bike.
What did you opt for in the end?
Just bought myself a set of the Token C52 as I decided to consolidate my two sets of bike wheels and get an all round set of full carbon wheels which I can use for both general rides and triathlon: I got fed up with the faff of having to alter the brake calipers when changing wheels!🙄 so far so good and no complaints my my choice. Inclusion of wheelbags and less clunky QRs (upgraded to Ti Shark Tail) would have been nice though!

TQ1

by TQ1

Late but I might as well update! I went for the FFWD F6R with the DT350 hub. Deeper wheels look better, I'm not riding any huge hills where the weight penalty is holding me back!

If I'm getting dropped on a group ride its likely the high pace on the flat where I'm struggling not the lumps and bumps.

Yes there is a weight penalty but it's all at the hub, so not really worth the extra cash for me to jump up to the DT240.

Rode them all summer on GP5000 and no issues at all. I went for the FFWD over the other brands for perceived reliability and better brand (potentially) with a known solid hub set.