rotor lockring bottomed out on dt 240 hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi

I am trying to fit new Ultegra centerlock rotors to new dt240 hubs (fast forward). All box fresh.

The lockrings bottom out and come up hard against the hub before holding the rotors which rattle with maybe 0.5mm of play.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a weird lockring incompatibility, I suppose I'll have to shim but would like to know if there is another solution.

I expected that shimano and dt would have common standard.

If shim then I'd be grateful for links.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Are your hubs designed for straightpull or j-bend spokes? Some images of the hubs and the rotor/hub interface would make for some nice conversation.

Did you try threading on the lockrings without end caps and rotors? I don't think it happens very often, but on an older wheelset I used to have that was built on DT 240Sj-bend hubs, the lockring threads on the hub were initially not very 'smooth' and it was very easy to cross thread and/or not able to thread the Shimano lockrings fully. We currently have 6-wheelsets all with 2018/2019 generation DT 240S straight pull centerlock hubs with 12mm thru-axle, and all are setup with Shimano MT-900 140 mm rotors. The only difference being is that I opted to use DT Swiss external splined lockrings as the Shimano internally spined lockrings supplied with the rotors are not easily removed due to the tight tolerance between lockring and end cap.
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kode54

by kode54

I've been using external splined lockrings as they clear all my bikes in case I switch wheelsets. I originally had issues with the internal ones (like the ones used for cassettes).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

PrinceStach

by PrinceStach

alanmclean wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:19 pm
Hi

I am trying to fit new Ultegra centerlock rotors to new dt240 hubs (fast forward). All box fresh.

The lockrings bottom out and come up hard against the hub before holding the rotors which rattle with maybe 0.5mm of play.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a weird lockring incompatibility, I suppose I'll have to shim but would like to know if there is another solution.

I expected that shimano and dt would have common standard.

If shim then I'd be grateful for links.

Thanks
Did you manage to get this resolved? In contacting DT Swiss I'm told that either Shimano XT M8010 or SM HB20 outer seration or externally splined lockrings solve the issue.

Can you confirm this? I've spend the last week trying, 4 other than the above lockrings, shimming with cassette spacers, etc. Nothing is ideal. Resulting in either, only reduced rotor play, or a scary amount of spacers. Somewhat chaffed that DT Swiss don't make this exception more clear, or give you the appropriate lockring when you buy the hub set.

ms6073

by ms6073

Not really on topic, but apparently the front rotor side end cap of the new 240 EXP hubs have been updated to eliminate the flare that prevents using internally splined lock rings.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You need to use a shim/washer between the rotor and lockring. Pull one off a cassette lockring or something.
https://www.amaincycling.com/shimano-ca ... 00/p312110
https://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-AFS-Lock ... B07PRY7PRS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com