Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

Sorry for the silence the past few days. We moved offices.

I think Cam's video is a good example that finding creaks is a bit of a black art, but... if in doubt; grease it up seems to be the takeaway from that. According to my understanding of his video, the mechanic basically just lubed the thru axle and tightened it properly (many people don't tighten thru axles enough) and then took it for a test ride and it was already silent. He then just greased the pawls as a "belt & bracers" approach.

Not sure exactly which step "solved" the noises. I can see all being possible. Because the HYPER hub end caps aren't locked in place with a thread, etc, I'm fairly sure they're relying on the quick release or thru-axle's clamping force to keep everything where it should be. If your thru axle isn't torqued to spec, things can start to move around under load.

I can also see it being possible that the wheels went out the door with not enough lube applied. I think the current production is that the lube for the pawls and pawl springs is applied by machine and therefore should be consistent, but the waterproof lube on the weather sealing ring is applied by hand. But... when you're mass-producing things; that 0.1% probability goes from "if" to "when."

Anyway, the production / QC team are investigating and improving.
As for customer service these days. I'm aware the response time has gotten longer. It was at it's worst about 2 weeks go. It's slowly getting better now. There's a few more people in the customer service department, and many more being trained. (Part of the reason we needed to move to a bigger office. :) )

If anyone is still struggling to get a response, please send your last email again, change the 'priority' of the email to 'high' and check your spam folder that our replies haven't fallen in there. Bare with us as we get back up to speed after the move.

Shokster65

by Shokster65

@ChinaCycling
If the hub relies on a specific torque should you not provide the wheels with torqueable (is that a word?) skewers rather than the QR ones that you provide as standard?
You have mentioned this requirements previously. Can you state what the torque value should be (I haven't received a manual with my wheels) and recommend a good quality replacement for the QRs provided.
I'm talking specifically about the rim brake version but as these don't have threaded caps either I am assuming that this applies to both disc and rim versions.
Also givent the significant amount of discussion regarding lubrication/greasing of the hubs and by your own admission a lack of quality control in this area more information on this should be provided as standard.
Whilst I like the wheels a lot I do feel that Winspace expect of a lot from their customers in terms of tolerance regarding quality and effort to maintain the wheels.
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MC356

by MC356

Noticed that one of the spokes are starting to come apart?
instagram image video download

Maybe I knocked the spoke into something when loading it in my car, or maybe i got hit by something?
Has this happened to anyone else?
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

https://youtu.be/uxeE0XFO7OI

For people with creaking wheels!

MariusRO

by MariusRO

Thanks for the feedback Dacian, I understand your view regarding cross winds.

PS: I received your PM but I cannot reply, maybe I don't have enough posts here, feel free to switch to email (I tried on your registered email, don't know if you received)
dacian wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:56 pm
MariusRO wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:33 pm
Can you share your weight Dacian?
I'm at 90kg so maybe the gursts will be less problematic..but it seems that "the hidden gem" of wheelsets from Hambini's test is starting to show some not so good feedback from realworld tests, sadly, as I was planning to buy two pairs (rim and disc) in the near future.

I would be real curious to see Hambini's oppinion in regards to thise recent tests :)

dacian wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:37 am
GeoffS wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:51 am

The shift to U shape profiles is aimed at reducing cross-wind sensitivty (by making them act as less-effective aerofoils), not reducing drag. Hence, for example, Roval using a very rounded profile for their front wheel but more V shaped profile for rear wheel on the Rapide CLX wheelset.
When I first express my impressions about Hyper 50mm, I stated from the start that these are one of the most wild aero wheels in windgusts I had. The first rides were scary almost, in time I managed to tame them, that is why I am not even bring that subject alive anymore. Of course the V or U shape is not so relevant on the rotational drag subject, but it is relevant in the overal system (bike+wheels) movement drag. And finally, bad behaviour in wind gusts, mean bad aero performance, I will quot Hambini, from his test: "Wheels that performed well were noticeably resistant to generating areas of turbulence
Wheels that performed well mitigated generated turbulence quite well"
I am at 63kg, 1.73 m, but not the cyclist skinny type, instead more developed at the upper side (shoulders, arms, torso) so I am not "just legs" i don't have issues keeping the control of the handlebars even at over 50kmh winds, the only yhing I am saying is that these wheels are more prone to wind induced instability than any of my previous aero wheels. But I know hoe to deal with them now after a few hundreds k. I am convinced that you at 90kg will have no issue with these, maybe in the first 2-3 rides. Lets not forget that drag and turbulence losses from the wheels are the same, no matter what rider volume or weight is. This means that a easy rider like me have to put the same Watt to overcome these loses, as any other rider no matter what the weight, the only thing is that 100W for you is not the same for me... So for you should not worry about this subject, I may say that even the results of my trials and my conclusions can make a much lesser impact on the system performance with a rider that puts down much higher levels of power, actually, you will not feel many of the things I presented here. This goes also for @Henry, I agree with him on that point. Even more, I can say that these wheels are excellent for heavy riders, because they are solid and stiff

dacian

by dacian

MariusRO wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:35 pm
Thanks for the feedback Dacian, I understand your view regarding cross winds.

PS: I received your PM but I cannot reply, maybe I don't have enough posts here, feel free to switch to email (I tried on your registered email, don't know if you received)
dacian wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:56 pm
MariusRO wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:33 pm
Can you share your weight Dacian?
I'm at 90kg so maybe the gursts will be less problematic..but it seems that "the hidden gem" of wheelsets from Hambini's test is starting to show some not so good feedback from realworld tests, sadly, as I was planning to buy two pairs (rim and disc) in the near future.

I would be real curious to see Hambini's oppinion in regards to thise recent tests :)

dacian wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:37 am

When I first express my impressions about Hyper 50mm, I stated from the start that these are one of the most wild aero wheels in windgusts I had. The first rides were scary almost, in time I managed to tame them, that is why I am not even bring that subject alive anymore. Of course the V or U shape is not so relevant on the rotational drag subject, but it is relevant in the overal system (bike+wheels) movement drag. And finally, bad behaviour in wind gusts, mean bad aero performance, I will quot Hambini, from his test: "Wheels that performed well were noticeably resistant to generating areas of turbulence
Wheels that performed well mitigated generated turbulence quite well"
I am at 63kg, 1.73 m, but not the cyclist skinny type, instead more developed at the upper side (shoulders, arms, torso) so I am not "just legs" i don't have issues keeping the control of the handlebars even at over 50kmh winds, the only yhing I am saying is that these wheels are more prone to wind induced instability than any of my previous aero wheels. But I know hoe to deal with them now after a few hundreds k. I am convinced that you at 90kg will have no issue with these, maybe in the first 2-3 rides. Lets not forget that drag and turbulence losses from the wheels are the same, no matter what rider volume or weight is. This means that a easy rider like me have to put the same Watt to overcome these loses, as any other rider no matter what the weight, the only thing is that 100W for you is not the same for me... So for you should not worry about this subject, I may say that even the results of my trials and my conclusions can make a much lesser impact on the system performance with a rider that puts down much higher levels of power, actually, you will not feel many of the things I presented here. This goes also for @Henry, I agree with him on that point. Even more, I can say that these wheels are excellent for heavy riders, because they are solid and stiff

I recieved it, it's ok!

Gwcman

by Gwcman

Mcdeez wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:43 pm
https://youtu.be/uxeE0XFO7OI

For people with creaking wheels!
It'll be interesting to follow to see if the sound returns like it did on mine after 1122kms. Had it greased again and got it back last Friday so I'm keeping tabs on it, rode 192kms this past weekend and it was fine, only time will tell.

Any change in yours @McDeez ?

Cheers,

FlyingPensioner

by FlyingPensioner

Hi all. First post here.

I'm considering the Hyper wheels. I'm still torn between 50mm and 38mm rim brake but more concerned about buying from China.

I'm in the UK and wondered what people's experiences are. How long did they take to arrive? Did you get stung for duty or VAT?

Many thanks in advance.

Arno1

by Arno1

FlyingPensioner wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:22 pm
Hi all. First post here.

I'm considering the Hyper wheels. I'm still torn between 50mm and 38mm rim brake but more concerned about buying from China.

I'm in the UK and wondered what people's experiences are. How long did they take to arrive? Did you get stung for duty or VAT?

Many thanks in advance.
For information, I bought a 50 mm rim brake and I thought I would be embarrassed in strong winds. Absolutely not. I think I am less embarrassed than my 38mm from another brand. In addition you gain in aerodynamics and you climb as easily as the 38 mm.

Oms

by Oms

FlyingPensioner wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:22 pm
Hi all. First post here.

Many thanks in advance.
Hiya.

No duty/VAT for me - I went for the express delivery (not sure whether that's why?). They arrived two weeks after ordering (I think the Winspace bods were at a bike show at the time, so perhaps it might take a few days less than that now).

Haven't ridden them yet as I'm waiting on a bike frame. As far as wind stability is concerned, it can vary due to other factors. I recall going from a Shimano wheelset to a Mavic wheelset (both 25mm ish deep) and found that the Mavics caught side winds a bit more... it could well be that bladed spokes made all the difference between the two.

The only feedback I have so far is with regards to the fitment of tubeless tyres - piece of cake (provided you have the right tyre brand). Very pleased.

Oh, and they're rather light.

I won't be able to offer much feedback RE wind stability due to the fact that they're going onto a new frame (shorter head tube, lighter frame, more aero fork, steeper steering angle) - perhaps I can contribute RE braking/longevity/maintenance in future.

👍

HenryH

by HenryH

I find it amazing that many countries seem so "lazy" on VAT. In Norway you are charged VAT for everything you bring in - no exceptions (unless the carrier messes something up - even so the carrier then ends up paying the VAT for you).

Took 32 days if I remember correctly from when they were shipped with free shipping for me

Riding them every day now. Love them so far. Hard to say in terms of speed how well they are performing (as you can see from the discussion on here), but even if I hate when people say a set of wheels "feel" fast - they do. And even for a big rider like me - 6ft6 they seem to be able to handle my weight perfectly. For me these have been brilliant value for money so far.

Arno1

by Arno1

Express delivery for France (13 days) and customs duty (a little less than 50 euros)

dacian

by dacian

I have to adress a little the "creaking" problem, I had some complaints about wheels performance, but I never touched the "creaking" subject. I had them too, the noises, but I was sure that they came either from a poorly tighten rear wheel, dry QR and end caps, or even dry pawls. I unmounted the rear wheel, put some grease on the frame and end caps, also on the QR, took out the free hub (you just take it out without tools, grab it by the casette) put some grease there too (it looked very dry), put the wheel back, tighten it as it should. NO more creaking since then

FlyingPensioner

by FlyingPensioner

Just to muddy the waters a bit, it seems there is now a UK agent/distributor for Winspace. Jedi sports on eBay. Doing the wheels for £1,000. Seems like a tidy profit margin. Some may prefer this route to the direct from China one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlyingPensioner

by FlyingPensioner

Arno1 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:42 pm
Express delivery for France (13 days) and customs duty (a little less than 50 euros)
Unlike GB, France remains in the EU meaning this sort of transaction is easier.

Mod note: removed offensive language