Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Zappano

by Zappano

Tonytony wrote:26 or 28mm in front and rear on the rapides? The front wheel is 35mm ext so a 28mm is not a real aero penalty or am I wrong? I'm a little bit worried about the wide front wheel
I recommend 26. They are 28mm wide on the rim and they should be also faster (aerodynamics).
S-Works Tarmac SL7
S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc (6.6kg)
S-Works Tarmac SL6 Rim (6.8kg)
S-Works Epic HT (8.8kg)
Scott Addict Gravel Tuned

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Just mounted the 26 turbo cottons, with no issue. I used a tyre lever once because I was lazy, but could have gotten them on with just my hands if I had to. That was a very pleasant surprise. Far easier than mounting my current wheels (chinese carbon rims of unknown provenance) with the GP5000 clincher.

Agree on the 26, don't see why you would want to use a 28 on these (esp. the rear where the 26 is just right).

Tonytony

by Tonytony

I've seen some 26 mounted on the rapides today at my lbs and it was better than I thougt, so I took them. Can't wait till my bike arrive. :D :D

walfisch

by walfisch

ryanw wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:26 am
Front wheel definitely feels stiff enough for 89kg and a fair few sprinters watts...

For me, the Rapides win for weight and stability.

I sold two sets of custom Enve 5.6's due to lack of use after buying two sets of Rapides.

I kept the original tubeless tape installed and used DT Swiss (new style) valves. 80mm rear and 60mm front I think.
The rapides look promising, though the outer width of the front wheel might be an issue for some bikes at 35mm?

Tonytony

by Tonytony

I see that a lot of people are putting gp5000 on their rapides, my lbs suggested the sw turbo (non-cotton). Can anyone compare? (I know it's off-topic)

pmprego

by pmprego

At some point in time there was talk about a tubeless version. There was even a link to roval own website. Any news in that regard?

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Tonytony wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:05 am
I see that a lot of people are putting gp5000 on their rapides, my lbs suggested the sw turbo (non-cotton). Can anyone compare? (I know it's off-topic)
I'll give it a try some time later in the month as I'd be interested to see how they compare to the turbo cottons. I've ridden GP5k for a little over 2 years and never thought they were particularly great apart from durability and puncture protection - but I'm sure there are others who have much more experience with tyres than I do.

I do love the turbo cottons though...

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

I've read many pages of this thread. It seems that the most common and praised tire options for Rapide CLXs here are:

Tubeless: Vittora Corsa Speed 25c
Clincher: Specialized Turbo Cotton 26c

Any other clinchers anyone else would reccomend? I want to avoid the weight and width of a 28c tire - so that seems to leave 25c GP500 clinchers as the next best option. I'm wondering if people are finding those to be too narrow.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

25c GP5ks work perfectly... all clinchers I have tried work great on them Schwalbe Pro One Addix, Pirelli PZero Race 26c, Vittoria Corsa (non speed).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

lukext

by lukext

Hi all! Considering the rapides (and the DT Swiss ARC1100 50). The spoke count on the front wheel seems rather low for a disc wheelset... anyone here care to comment on the wheel's stiffness and behaviour under heavy braking? Am I worrying about nothing? Thanks in advance!

botacalor

by botacalor

Hello
I'm thinking about buying a pair of used clx 32 rapide from 2018. This wheels are stiff and durable? The price is around 1000 EUR.
I'm looking for a stiff lightweight and durable wheel.

The tubeless system is good with the caps on the holes?

jadedaid

by jadedaid

lukext wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:38 pm
Hi all! Considering the rapides (and the DT Swiss ARC1100 50). The spoke count on the front wheel seems rather low for a disc wheelset... anyone here care to comment on the wheel's stiffness and behaviour under heavy braking? Am I worrying about nothing? Thanks in advance!
I weigh 69kg, and have a sprint of around 1300w. Zero issues with stiffness either during sprinting or descending. I haven't tried many wheelsets but they are much much stiffer than my previous chinese carbon wheels which had 28h F+R.

They genuinely come across as stiff to me, but perhaps Ryan or Flatlandclimber can chime in?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

85kg, 1,800w sprint. Not a single issue.

Built up around 20 pairs of these tubeless with all raving reviews from customers. Much better suited to tubeless than CLX 32/50/64.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

andreas

by andreas

ryanw wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:20 am
85kg, 1,800w sprint. Not a single issue.

Built up around 20 pairs of these tubeless with all raving reviews from customers. Much better suited to tubeless than CLX 32/50/64.
Are we still talking about the Rapide CLX? You run them tubeless?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

To save Ryan repeating himself, yes he does! And has said so sooo many times in this thread 😂😂
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount