Rolling resistance/aero/weight net gain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

igs417

by igs417

JoO wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm
If your pressure is so low you can bottom out the tire => use a tire size up and or rim width up
Is there some rule of thumb to determine lowest safe pressure based on rider weight and tire/rim width?

At riding weight 95 kg, I currently run tubed GP5k 25 at 90/95 psi. How low could I safely go, before learning lower limit the hard way (bottoming out - pinch flat, rim damage)?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

igs417 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:11 pm
alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:14 pm
They just don't need to go as wide to handle that pressure.
Why is that? Pinch flats? Rim protection over potholes?

I was under impression that heavier rider must pump up narrow tires to more psi compared to wider tires to achieve same result, hence lower psi on same road/rider for wider tires.
Mostly flat protection (tire with) and some overall handling in hard corner (inner rim width).

I think it is correct that heavier rider generally require higher pressure to support their weight on the same combo. Which is different topic to optimal pressure for the road quality.

For me, i'd pick road quality that i'll ride first then that would set up pressure goal.
Something like 130 psi for indoor track, 95 psi for great quality outdoor road, 80 psi for normal road, 65 psi for broken road, 30 psi for gravel, etc.
Then just use narrowest tire that allow you (your body+bike weight) to use that pressure without issues.
Likely, for your weight, if you pick 80psi (normal road) it'd be 25c->28mm. And for 65psi (for broken road) it'd be 28c->31mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you run tubeless or tubulars I guess you don't have to worry about pinch flats. But I'd also not like to ride a tire that compresses too much either.

Then the issue of vibration stopping my pedaling is still there as a fear I'll hit the rim on bumps. I want the freedom to pedal all the time even when it gets rougher.

ducman

by ducman

On Belgian roads, 28mm tires are usefull. 😂

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 pm
If you run tubeless or tubulars I guess you don't have to worry about pinch flats. But I'd also not like to ride a tire that compresses too much either.
You can "pinch" a tubeless tire on the sharp edge of a deep pothole. I've done it twice now with 25mm GP5K TLs between 70-75psi. I won't be running 25mm GP5K TLs anymore, and probably won't run them in any size...same old Conti sidewalls.

kgt

by kgt

For a 95kg rider I would not go less than 25mm and less than 100psi

alcatraz

by alcatraz

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:51 am
alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 pm
You can "pinch" a tubeless tire on the sharp edge of a deep pothole. I've done it twice now with 25mm GP5K TLs between 70-75psi. I won't be running 25mm GP5K TLs anymore, and probably won't run them in any size...same old Conti sidewalls.
Good to know. Then it'd be prudent to use the general rules of tire compression even for tubeless. It simplifies things..

May I ask how low a pressure you were riding? I know some like to go crazy low. :)

romanmoser

by romanmoser

After having tried 25mm tires labelled size ( GP5000TL , GP5000, GP4000S2, Turbo Cotton, Schwalbe Pro One )
28 mm tires labelled size ( GP500 TL )

On clincher disc rims (not into rim carbon clincher, often heavier than the disc ones due to the braking surface)
at least for generic asian rim LB, or Venn, may be different for Schmolke, Bikebeat, Tune.

: - VENN 35 TCD ( 19mm internal 26 26,5mm external width ) updated version is wider but haven't tried them , 400 410 gr measured
: - VENN 507 TCD ( 21mm internal, 28mm external width ) manual lay up, 495gr measured
and finally
: - Light Bicycle 56mm ( 23mm internal, 30 30,5 external width) : 460 gr each measured

My review on rims and 25 vs 28mm tires: not considering tubulars here , other topics thanks
I think both sizes will coexist for a long long time. I am 1 meter 87cm and 65 to 70kg , more of a climber rouleur, spinner , not that powerfull 290 FTP :oops:

I don't have any power meter anymore, but strava, repetitions, cardio etc. They are situations in wich 25mm tires with the VENN rims were better. It was the racier conditions on good to average roads. Including climbing. They measured up to 28 29 mm on theses rims. The 35mm behaved like low profile alus rims box but even calmer. The 507 were very neutral in the winds, they felt like lower rims most of the time maybe except super longs climbs and double digit super hards % short climbs. I tested 25 and 28mm tires on them. The 28mm tires were a bad change in terms of lateral wind catching on the venn rims. Especially on the 507. You definetely could tell these were aero optimized for 25mm tires.

Then 28mm tires on Light Bicycle 56mm rims. The GP5000 TL measured up to 30mm . Pressure max according to conti should be 6,5 . I didn't put them as high. 6 was the highest on good roads and I think it defeat the purpose of wider rims and tires no ? But then again why would you need 30mm tires for road racing, gran fondo, climbing on goods to average roads ? Between 4 and 5,5 depending on the roads, strade bianche, fire roads is the right kind of pressure I think. 28mm tires are more for heavier people or for riding on specifics conditions if racing ( strade bianche, ronde van vlanderen, nova eroica). Ultra endurance long distance cycling ( transcontinental race, trans am bike race) or commuting are where these wheels and tires shine for me... They allow to have more comfort, nearly same average rolling resistance except uphill on good roads, taking more bumps and small potholes if you want it. The grip on the flat and downhill is insane, really. The newer rims 56, 38 mm and 50 mm from light bicycle are optimized for 28mm , the wind on the side makes them a little bit slower than venn 507 but they are better than venn 507 with 28mm tires. They don't have wind turbulences issues between the rim bed and the tire. They are perfect if you think about the 105% rule.

The disadvantages for me for a racier bike set up for criterium, gran fondo , climbing :
- more frontal surface , noticeable above 40 45km/h
- less reactive
- heavier
- tires bouncing around at adapted pressures and feeling " dead "
- I don't like how they behave while climbing and out of the saddle , can't push them, sorry
- Harder to mount on than 25mm tires on narrower rims, but manage to do it by hand horizontally without tire lever

So I think for my disc road bike, I'll have:
- one pair between optimized for 25mm tubeless or latex inner tubes clincher ( 35,38,40,45 max 50mm )
- one other pair optimized for 28mm tubeless tires for long distance brevet, training on bads roads, fast commuting

and maybe a tubular pair ...

I think the rim width range for 25mm tires should be like 17mm to 21mm internal AND 27 28 29 30mm external width.
In that range you have OEM chinese rim ( LB, Farsports, VENN).
Expensiver, a bit lighter and more reactive with the same components spokes hubs according to some friends you have : Bikebeat nice price made in Germany, Schmolke etc.

And then " system wheels " : Campa Bora WTO, Fulcrum 4D, Shimano C40 even if heavier, lower and narrower. With system wheels, you know what you"re buying and often they have very good geometry ( 2:1 rear spokes build, even better for C40, less differential tension between DS and NDS ).

I really like Campa and Fulcrum carbon wheels overall; I wish they were a bit wider but they are the best overall to me. Compared to Roval CLX50 ( average buld, bearings ..)

What are your opinions ?
Thanks

Hexsense

by Hexsense

kgt wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 am
For a 95kg rider I would not go less than 25mm and less than 100psi
Of course, for 95kg rider, 25mm inflated (22c or 23c inflate to 25mm or true to size tubular) will need pressure higher than 100psi.
But you have to use pretty old school tire and rim to inflated narrower than 25mm anyway.
Many places don't sell 23c any more. And even Conti 4000sII 23c inflate to 27.3mm wide on 21mm internal width rim.
25c inflate to 28-29mm on modern wide rim at 85psi should be plenty on both clincher and tubeless.

For 95kg rider, i'd surely use 28c -> 30-31mm on the rear wheel.
Front can be either 25c or 28c.

Alumen

by Alumen

Wider is faster is debunked by the latest bicycle rolling resistance test on the GP5000...

Wider is not more comfortable, higher TPI is and good quality tyres are.

91kg rider on 23mm front and rear, 110psi, and I've got a whole new bike back. ! Feels so much faster and more agile. Not sure if I will ever move back to 25mm for summer tyres.

And yes, I do feel the aero benefit at higher speeds with 23mm.

Also, did not experienced any loss of comfort compared with my former GP4000s II 25mm tyres.

Just my experience.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

alcatraz

by alcatraz

23mm or 23C tires?

Maybe you're running them wide. Conti 23C's are quite wide.

AJS914

by AJS914

Alumen wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:16 pm
Wider is faster is debunked by the latest bicycle rolling resistance test on the GP5000...
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison

The interesting chart is setting up all the tires at the same comfort level (15% drop). Basically all the tires were equally fast with regards to rolling resistance.

zefs

by zefs

Yes but go for a 10km climb instead of drum roll that power is not constant/weight plays a role and things change (for pros).
Doing attacks at high wattage will also be in favor of the lighter/higher psi tire.

kgt

by kgt

+1
If you are a pro and you attack on 10% grades with 30km/h then the weight of your tires matters, a lot. 100gr more from tires alone is not something negligible. The late BRR test also proved that a narrower tire might be better at the end but the problem with all these tests is that they are on drum rolls and constant speeds.
Of course, for the rest of us, it is more a matter of choice.

igs417

by igs417

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 am
Proper way to do tire sizing for speed is wider wheel first.
Then match your (actual mounted) tire width to rim width. Don't do the other way around.
Since I'm in the market for the new wheels, I have a blank sheet here. I'm trying to decide between:

Light Bicycle WR46 (46mm deep, 21C inner diameter, 28mm external, disc) paired with Conti GP5k TL 700x25C
Light Bicycle WR50 (50mm deep, 25C inner diameter, 32mm external, disc) paired with Conti GP5k TL 700x28C

Both combos are within 105% rule,. Wider set is approx. 160 grams heavier including the tire weight difference (2.202 grams vs 2.361 grams, including wheels, tires and sealant), and 200$ more expensive (it doesn't play a big role). For comparation, both wheelsets configured with DT Swiss 350 hubs, 18T, 24/24 spokes, Sapim CX rays, straight pull, brass nipples. My bike (Canyon Endurace CF 8.0 Disc) can accept both without a problem.

Basically, it boils down to preferred tire width.

Rider weight 85 kg (95-96 kg including bike & equipment). Typically 80-120 km rides on rolling terrain with various road quality, averaging 18-20 mph. Mostly solo, but a group ride here and there. No serious racing but can imagine grand fondo race or two yearly.

I guess I could run narrower set at 85/90 psi, and wider on 70/75 psi. How much speed can narrower set actually offer, at what comfort cost? How wide is too wide? :noidea:

What combo would you guys choose for allround/everyday wheelset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com