Is there a better aero wheel than a Campy Ultra 50 out there?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

addictR1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 am
Catagory6 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:25 pm
c’mon you 2, please dont confuse and tempt me any more than i already am.
don't worry.. you're not the only one. i'm tempted to get the bora 50 as well... just not sure if ultra is worth it or would the 50 one be just as good. but right now i have my reynolds aero 46/72 in tubs... i'm on the fence...
Catagory6 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:42 am
you dirty dogs better be right about this
now i'm gonna need suggestions for tires
can't believe i just did that.
365-day return policy... ok
guess i gotta put up a bunch of stuff up on the sleaze-bay now to make some room
which one did you end up getting? from where and how much?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Catagory6

by Catagory6

addictR1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:16 am
addictR1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 am
Catagory6 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:25 pm
c’mon you 2, please dont confuse and tempt me any more than i already am.
don't worry.. you're not the only one. i'm tempted to get the bora 50 as well... just not sure if ultra is worth it or would the 50 one be just as good. but right now i have my reynolds aero 46/72 in tubs... i'm on the fence...
Catagory6 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:42 am
you dirty dogs better be right about this
now i'm gonna need suggestions for tires
can't believe i just did that.
365-day return policy... ok
guess i gotta put up a bunch of stuff up on the sleaze-bay now to make some room
which one did you end up getting? from where and how much?
One 35 tubular
chain reaction
ugh, more than i deserve to spend on a set of wheels

i can oogle them when they get here, and then return. i SOOOO don't deserve them, at all

welchy

by welchy

So I have had the following:

-2016 Zipp 404s
-2017 Zipp 303s
-2016 Hope 45s
-2016 Bora One 50s
-2018 Bora One 35s
-Fulcrum Quattros
-Many alloy rims

The Bora's were hands down the best braking, smoothest rolling, aesthetically pleasing joyeous wheels i've had. As soon as I see some disc brake 50s i'll be getting them. I've used Conti GP4000s on all and all were blown out by Bora. It's down to personal opinion, even with 90kg mass on them they were stiff, durable and overall just perfect.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Still looking for some real world results with the 45 WTO compared to the ‘old’ 50’s from riders that have (had) them both.
I can buy them with only €100 price difference. (I’ll probably go WTO45).

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I’ve got bora 50 one’s (tubular) with the AC3 braking, they’re fantastic. Great hubs, spin up fast (inertia), best in class braking, good aero.

I’ve also got a 404/303 combo (tubular). Very smooth riding, actually really good hubs (2017 and later), good braking, great aero.

If you live in mountains and mainly climb, Boras, if you live in flat 303/404.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanos

by Thanos

Got caught in a downpour yesterday on some winding back roads with steep, but short, descents from 10-15%. The Bora Ultra 35's were pretty good, a bit noisy, especially the front (I'm using DM EE Brakes with Campagnolo red pads). Much better than my old ENVE 45's in the rain.

Would prefer it if my summer bike didn't get caught in the rain, but Scotland....

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Catagory6

by Catagory6

well, they came in today
i sure as heck don't deserve these things what... so... ever
i'm gonna be "that guy", got the wheels and no legs

looks like i have 286 pages of "gluing tubulars" for my reading pleasure
anybody have suggestions which page to jump to? video links?

dj97223

by dj97223

Search for posts by Geoff.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Foxman50

by Foxman50

1st post on WW, glad i found this thread.

Just sought myself a Colnago C60 in stunning RSCG, clear gloss carbon weave, and am now looking for a wheelset that would do it justice, even though i may not be able too :D

I had set my pennies on a set of Bora Ultra's 35's, however researching and the like, i'm undecided. Would appreciate some advice.

So short list as follows.
1. Camp's as above, 35's as i feel they just look more elegant on this frame than the 50's, bright labels.
2. Mavic COSMIC PRO CARBON SL 25MM UST
3. ZIPP 303 NSW TUBELESS CARBON
4. ROVAL CLX 32 CARBON (not sure these will fit due to rim width)
5. ENVE SES 3.4 G2 (Not sure i could stretch to the Chris King ceramic hubs)

At present running Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST. Which brings me to another question, would the above be a significant upgrade over the Ksyriums. Just to add looking at clinchers, not sure i could make the jump to tubs, what do you do when you get a puncture on tubs?.

Appreciate any help, cheers
Last edited by Foxman50 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If your frame can handle a C19 rim I’d get the Bora WTO 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Yes have looked at these and believe they should fit with 25 tyres, however i'm not sure if i like the look of these. Not sure what it is. Certainly add them to the list.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

what tires should i be looking at?
ive been looking for veloflex vlaander and argenberg. but they dont seem to be sold in the US. or maybe theyre discontinued?

as it is, ive been running conti gp3/4k with great success in terms of longevity and fl@+ resistance. which size 25mm blow up to 29mm on the hed belgium +

i currently ride new england roads, which can get pretty chewed up in locations. but i dont aim directly for the pot holes, and never in wet conditions with the bike they are going on

skidrrr

by skidrrr

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:26 pm
Do you think WTO 45 is better than One 50? Why? Can you please explain?
I've just got 50 this winter and I really like them. I was riding fulcrums quattro carbon two seasons before and I liked them too just wanted something more aero and with Bora one 50 I've got exactly that. The only downside is cross-wind stability. Fulcrums were less suspicible.

skyboy

by skyboy

skidrrr wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:46 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:26 pm
Do you think WTO 45 is better than One 50? Why? Can you please explain?
I've just got 50 this winter and I really like them. I was riding fulcrums quattro carbon two seasons before and I liked them too just wanted something more aero and with Bora one 50 I've got exactly that. The only downside is cross-wind stability. Fulcrums were less suspicible.
The WTO is better if you want to run a slightly wider tyre and looking at the profile they probably do a bit better in crosswinds.
But apart from that we would need someone to do independent wind tunnel tests to find out which is better and even then there would be a million questions over testing methods.

Foxman50

by Foxman50

So pretty much decided on the Campag Bora Ultra 35, however as i am unable to try before buying, would someone be able to inform me what i would notice as being better over the Mavic Ksyrium Elites im running. I love the look of the Bora's but don't want to spend this sort of money jusy for looks. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com