Expected weight savings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Currently I have Campag Zonda wheels with Continental 4 Season and Gatorskin tires and Mcheline butil inners. I am waiting for the Bora One 35 tubulars to arrive, so I was wondering what sort of weight savings should I expect on the wheels plus tires?

Marin

by Marin

Basically it will be close to the difference between the current weight of your setup minus the weight of the new wheels & tires.

I could go and google the weights and do the math for you but why? Plus you have the advantage to be able to weigh your current wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Yep, but I have no clue what is the weight of my current setup :) I am aware that the Zonda is about 1500 g., and the Boras were advertized at 1200+ g., if I am not mistaken. No idea about the tires and tubes etc.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The best way is to weigh the stuff.

joejack951

by joejack951

Tubular tire weights are all over the place, from sub-200 grams (Tufo track tires, Vittoria Corsa Speed 23mm) to probably well over 400 grams (just guessing, never searched) for a fat 28mm tire. Most likely you'll be looking at ~275-300 grams per tire, though. Glue adds some weight, too (~30 grams for a wheelset IIRC).

On the same token, butyl tube weights vary considerably and so do tire weights depending on size. As noted, you need to weigh what you have.

My total weight loss guess based on your quoted wheelset weights would be 400 grams +/-50 grams. A tubular tire setup will almost always be lighter than clinchers, especially given the tires you've noted and the fact that you don't mention lightweight tubes.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

400 g would be perfect. It means the bike would weigh around 6.7 kg.

hannawald

by hannawald

My Bora One tubular 35 ac3 were 1192g, one Corsa G+ 25mm tubular was 293g..you dont need valve extender for these so just add something small for glue.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Why not wait and weigh stuff. Buy a scale if you have to. We don't have to spoon feed you as well do we.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I just thought there might be somebody who has gone through the same upgrade and could chime in with a ballpark figure. I will definitely do the weigning when everything arrives and report it here.