Mavic Cosmic Ultimate UST (Withdrawal) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

Competition to LW Meilenstein Disc brake is needed, now!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I didn't ask Mavic this question. But it's obvious that they are keen on making this wheelset flawless.
A pity that it's actually postponed 1½ year.....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

bespoke wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:05 am
Ouch - by which date they will most likely already be out of date !
:mrgreen:

Hopefully for them, such a long delay means they went back to the drawing board for a complete redesign that will be competitive by 2020!

survivor

by survivor

This is sad. I was hopeful to get my hand on a pair this year. Looks like the Corima MCC WS+ is back on the table for me.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

survivor wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:53 pm
This is sad. I was hopeful to get my hand on a pair this year. Looks like the Corima MCC WS+ is back on the table for me.
Nice to see they went wider. Pretty narrow inner width though (clicher version 16mm).
Corima is a real "looker", but i read braking is rather bad?

Btw, i just asked Mavic if it was the new carbon rear hub whick is the problem. The tubular version, seems to use the older standard still.
I have seen these on sale, with the wider rim. Not sure i would buy them if i could afford.

Part from these two, i am also interested in RAR Exalt 40
https://www.roues-rar.fr/en/127-exalt-40-carbon.html

These guys liked Tune hubs very much, but now they've designed a new hub themselves.
A pity i'm not pretty enough to sell my body :-(
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

survivor

by survivor

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:43 pm
Nice to see they went wider. Pretty narrow inner width though (clicher version 16mm).

Btw, i just asked Mavic if it was the new carbon rear hub whick is the problem. The tubular version, seems to use the older standard still.
I have seen these on sale, with the wider rim. Not sure i would buy them if i could afford.

These guys liked Tune hubs very much, but now they've designed a new hub themselves.
I emailed Mavic on 3/20 asking for an update on Mavic Cosmic Ultimate UST availability, got a respond from them two days after that saying they are facing a delay in their answers due to the high volume of requests coming in and my request is still in their queue and will be answered and taken care of as soon as possible. That was 8 days ago. Very poor customer service I would say or they simply don't have an answer for my question.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

survivor wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:09 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:43 pm

I emailed Mavic on 3/20 asking for an update on Mavic Cosmic Ultimate UST availability, got a respond from them two days after that saying they are facing a delay in their answers due to the high volume of requests coming in and my request is still in their queue and will be answered and taken care of as soon as possible. That was 8 days ago. Very poor customer service I would say or they simply don't have an answer for my question.
This is interesting! I got an answer, but i had to leave a follow up question.
So i hope they come back to me.
I wonder if we end up with same reply, or if they avoid answering my follow up question.
They just told me UST was due to be released summer 2020. But zero explanation why.

Still Granfondo had a set for review during 2018.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I got a reply from Mavic. They considered the UST wheelset not safe enough, so the release date has been postponed.
I don't know if summer 2020 is a "fixed date" or if they just ment it's what we should expect.
Looking at the "old" rear wheel spokes and hub vs the new (postponed) version, we can probably assume that the mentioned safety concern has something to do with
rear hub/spokes.

This info comes from Mavic MP3 support, in contact with Mavics technical department.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

survivor

by survivor

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 pm
I got a reply from Mavic. They considered the UST wheelset not safe enough, so the release date has been postponed.
I don't know if summer 2020 is a "fixed date" or if they just ment it's what we should expect.
Looking at the "old" rear wheel spokes and hub vs the new (postponed) version, we can probably assume that the mentioned safety concern has something to do with
rear hub/spokes.

This info comes from Mavic MP3 support, in contact with Mavics technical department.
I still didn’t hear back from their customer support but I checked with the Magic rep at Sea Otter Classic today and they mentioned the Cosmic Ultimate UST is delayed but should be available in late summer this year. So we will see whether that comes true for them.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I can say Mavic does offer the wheels in hteit my2020 oem range.
So they will probably be available by summer.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's possible to pre-order them directly from Mavic now.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

bruno2000

by bruno2000

survivor wrote:
The Corima wheels can only be an option if you go tubular.
The clincher version of the MCC wheels are way to heave to be compared to these new Mavic wheels.

Regarding the new Mavic wheels, I guess Mavic is loosing a lot of sales by not yet offering these wheels.
By 2020 even more people will be on disc brake bikes. so th emarket for this type of wheels is getting smaller.
Would they be working on a discbrake verison too?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

bruno2000 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 am
survivor wrote:
The Corima wheels can only be an option if you go tubular.
The clincher version of the MCC wheels are way to heave to be compared to these new Mavic wheels.

Regarding the new Mavic wheels, I guess Mavic is loosing a lot of sales by not yet offering these wheels.
By 2020 even more people will be on disc brake bikes. so th emarket for this type of wheels is getting smaller.
Would they be working on a discbrake verison too?
I don't know if they make a disc brake version. I'd rather get these than Lightweight.
I think these will be one of the best rim brake wheelsets money can buy.
Probably a bit on the harsh side of ride feel, but the time Mavic spent of these to be more or less flawless is appealing.
Maybe this is one of the better wheels we who own the old standard framesets can buy!?
(QR and maximum 25mm tires)
As mentioned in a previous thread, development in rim brake tech has probably come to it's end.
I think Mavic did a great thing making these.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Here's a possible alternative to the Mavic Cosmic Ultimates. The specs are even more impressive.
https://www.cadex-cycling.com/global/cadex-42-tubeless
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Yes I've spotted them too.
On the other hand, with the Mavic wheels (and also the LW wheel) you get the look of a 'special' wheel.
Also for Mavic they will have one of the best braketracks in the market, which is unsure about the Cadex wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com