Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sib

by sib

I'd personally like to see wheels tested at 20km/h - this is the speed many of the hills are ridden up in local races!

It'd be great to have an indication whether, say, the Yoeleo C88, despite its weight, is faster than one of the much lighter but less aerodynamic wheelsets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

sib wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:29 am
I'd personally like to see wheels tested at 20km/h - this is the speed many of the hills are ridden up in local races!

It'd be great to have an indication whether, say, the Yoeleo C88, despite its weight, is faster than one of the much lighter but less aerodynamic wheelsets.
The aero differences between wheels at that speed are miniscule.

Comes down to the impact on total weight and the average speed.

These two will intersect at one point and that's where you should go deeper/lighter.

Throughout a course there could be one wheel winning over the other.

For best allround climbing+aero performance the test results show that you can't really go wrong with bontrager xxx 60 wheels. The challenge zipp808 in aero and the shallower lightweight wheelsets in weight.

/a

sib

by sib

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 am

These two will intersect at one point and that's where you should go deeper/lighter.

For best allround climbing+aero performance the test results show that you can't really go wrong with bontrager xxx 60 wheels. The challenge zipp808 in aero and the shallower lightweight wheelsets in weight.

/a
19w at 30km/h is not minuscule for me.
Even, say, 10w at 20km/h would be massive in a race.

I also think there is a lot of interest in Yoeleo, LightBicycle, and Farsports because of their pricing - "best all-round climbing+aero performance" might not be what everyone is looking for.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

sib wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 am
alcatraz wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 am

/a
19w at 30km/h is not minuscule for me.
Even, say, 10w at 20km/h would be massive in a race.

I also think there is a lot of interest in Yoeleo, LightBicycle, and Farsports because of their pricing - "best all-round climbing+aero performance" might not be what everyone is looking for.
2w difference between xxx60 and yoeleo80 @30km/h. Seeing as drag is not linear but exponential with speed @20km/h you might be able to extrapolate 1w difference between the two.

The yoeleo should be about 400gr heavier which might result in a 70kg rider's weight to increase with 0.57% so we might assume that power needs to increase with the same difference. If a rider has 300w ftp and around 250w of those are responsible for carrying weight up a climb, it results in 1.4w increased effort to handle that weight. It means the xxx60 should be ~0.4w faster up such a scenario than the yoeleo. (1.4w - 1.0w = 0.4w)

Maybe 0.4w isn't miniscule to you but to me it is close to that. :)

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Any data on Bora 50s and how'd they might stack up here? More than a few wheels theoretically outpace them, but is it actualy significant in the real world?

Vermu

by Vermu

angrylegs wrote:Any data on Bora 50s and how'd they might stack up here? More than a few wheels theoretically outpace them, but is it actualy significant in the real world?
Should check the list...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

I think everyone in this forum somehow cares about small details, since we are always counting grams, and doing things like using Vredestein latex inner tubes to save 2w per wheel.

So if Yoeleo 88 is still 0.4w faster climbing at 20kph, 2w faster than a much more expensive wheel at 30kph, and possibly is still the fastest or tied at 40kph, I wouldn't mind loosing a couple watts going faster than that, because that's when I'm drafting anyway. I don't pull that fast often or long enough, and also dont TT often to justify Reynolds stuff.

And having a 7.2kg bike with those deep wheels isn't heavy at all.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'd wager that the large majority of folks here would average slower times overall if they started riding 88mm wheels regularly. Hard to put out that extra .4 watt if you're getting blown all over the road.

Oh, and wheels should also be able to stop. These extra dimensions are where the cost differences start to justify themselves.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Truth is that over an undulating course with several climbs the yoeleo88/zipp808/enve would be faster. The time saved on descents and flats would accumulate.

This assumes you are alone on the road. In a race you wouldn't be so better to stay mobile and ready for pace changes and attacks, focus on drafting and not getting dropped on the climbs.

Marin

by Marin

hambini wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 pm
yep I can do. which rim would you like?
Awesome!

One of the better 25mm wide ones to have the tire wider than the rim. I'd like to know how bad the penalty for ignoring the "105% rule" really is.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

ericoschmitt wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:14 am
I think everyone in this forum somehow cares about small details, since we are always counting grams, and doing things like using Vredestein latex inner tubes to save 2w per wheel.

So if Yoeleo 88 is still 0.4w faster climbing at 20kph, 2w faster than a much more expensive wheel at 30kph, and possibly is still the fastest or tied at 40kph, I wouldn't mind loosing a couple watts going faster than that, because that's when I'm drafting anyway. I don't pull that fast often or long enough, and also dont TT often to justify Reynolds stuff.

And having a 7.2kg bike with those deep wheels isn't heavy at all.
Given the error margins, the Yoeleos and Bontys are basically identical at similar depth for all purposes - based on this test. Unclear how that changes if you change the test parameters, but a good bet would be still that there would be no statistically discernible difference between the two. So I think the reasonable conclusion is that you pick Bonty's if you want lighter weight and can afford them, and Yoeleos otherwise. Of course the top performing Yoeleos are also 88mm vs Bontrager 60mm, which I think is going to make quite a bit of difference in side winds (you aren't faster if you need to slow down just to get around the bend).

Me personally, I am waiting to see the test of some newer Mavic wheels and Rovals. The latter and Bonty XXXs seem to represent a better weight/performance/money combination these days compared to the usual and very expensive suspects like Enve or Zipp.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

I would love to see Swissside Hadron series and M5 2-spoke being tested.

Mr Hambini, what's your take on patterned surface (like golf ball/zipp) for attaching and detaching air flow? or i totally misunderstood how they work? thanks.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

He talks about dimples here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUih_em ... mC1rG&t=0s

The video is quite useful - and opinions on dimples quite entertaining :)

Velt

by Velt

Hambini,

Do you have an opinion on asymmetric rims such as https://www.yishunbike.com/700c-asd-roa ... m_p61.html

Is there likely to be much of an aero penalty for losing the symmetry?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Imaking20 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm
He talks about dimples here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUih_em ... mC1rG&t=0s

The video is quite useful - and opinions on dimples quite entertaining :)
Thanks. Interesting indeed.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen: