Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexdi

by alexdi

emotive wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:42 am
alexdi wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:11 am
The rim profile, which looks rather square in photos, is actually nicely rounded.
Well that changes things, their web images with the square profile are costing them sales IMO.
It's difficult to improve the photos, my own look similar. The cross-section schematic of the wheel is accurate.

alexdi

by alexdi

pushstart wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:48 pm
@alexdi, how is the angle of the spokes entering from the side opposite the asym offset (ds rear, nds front)? That is my only complaint with my Yishun asym rims: they did not appear to angle the spoke holes, so the spoke angle entering the rim is a bit extreme. And I fear the nipples might break there, though I have not had any issues yet (a couple thousand miles).
Angles look fine to me. They've also got a nice shelf for the tubeless stem.
Attachments
IMG_4092.jpg
IMG_4096.jpg
IMG_4095.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

clonefan wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 pm
How do you like the 46mm LB wheels? If you were buying today would you get the 56mm ones?
I have the "CX36" ones with i9 hubs (love those hubs). Personally 21mm internal/28mm external is plenty wide for me, any more and I'd feel like I'm driving a bus. I intentially got the low profile because it's my rain/weather bike and I go through what can be some horrendously windy bridges and don't care about speed so much as getting tossed around.

For my fast rim brake bike, if I was in the market for ~50-60mm rims I'd probably pick up a deal on last gen Campys (Bora Ones) or perhaps FLO60s. All of which are made for being 25mm wide though (I'm not bothered with uber wide rims)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Rims and other products are about to get a bit more expensive for us Americans.

Can’t wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pushstart

by pushstart

alexdi wrote:
pushstart wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:48 pm
@alexdi, how is the angle of the spokes entering from the side opposite the asym offset (ds rear, nds front)? That is my only complaint with my Yishun asym rims: they did not appear to angle the spoke holes, so the spoke angle entering the rim is a bit extreme. And I fear the nipples might break there, though I have not had any issues yet (a couple thousand miles).
Angles look fine to me. They've also got a nice shelf for the tubeless stem.
Yeah, those look much better than mine. Maybe the 33mm-deep rims have an issue with spoke hole angles that isn't shared by the molds for the other depths? Anyway, hopefully it won't turn into a reliability issue long-term for me.

kyleFu

by kyleFu

Farsports new Road disc brake rims / wheels.

40mm deep * 30mm wide rim, 410g / pc +/-15, Hookless + Tubeless.

30mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 390g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
35mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 410g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
45mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 440g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
58mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 460g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.

35mm deep * 26mm wide rim, 400g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
45mm deep * 26mm wide rim, 430g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.

Wider profile + Ultralight
Farsports
https://www.wheelsfar.com
kyle(at)farsports.cn

emotive

by emotive

kyleFu wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:07 am

What are the inner diameters on these wheels Kyle?

kyleFu

by kyleFu

emotive wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:51 am
kyleFu wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:07 am

What are the inner diameters on these wheels Kyle?
HI Emotive, inner width?
23mm inner width for 30mm outer width.
21mm inner width for 28mm outer width.
19mm inner width for 26mm outer width.
Farsports
https://www.wheelsfar.com
kyle(at)farsports.cn

AJS914

by AJS914

Does anyone have any opinions on the budget priced hubs you might see on Farsports online store? I typically see:

Novatec
Bitex
Ed hub
DT Swiss 350
Powerway

What's the best bang for the buck? Is it worth paying $70 extra for the DT 350. I have a set of those and they have been flawless. I don't want to pay $200 extra for the DT 240S. Weight hardly matters as I'm a flat lander now.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

For road rim brake hub at least,
Bitex and Ed hub have faster rear hub engagement. If i recall correctly, it's 27 POE on Novatec and 48 on Bitex (24t with 2 sets of 3 pawl-- 6 pawl in total, alternately engage between 2 sets). But i'm not sure about the number.
Novatec hub is quieter though. But i still like Bitex more.
Do not buy the lightest option possible unless you are very light. Larger bearing worth extra weight. Use the one that is rebranded to Bikehubstore Super light hub, not the Ultra light hub.

you pay $70 extra for DT350, gain weight, lose POE down to 18 point (unless you spend even more to upgrade the ratchet). At least it supposed to be more durable. But my Bitex and Novatec hub still going strong after years, and a few crashes that broke some spokes too.
If you want DT-Swiss 350, go with Straight pull version. They somehow isn't very heavy.

refthimos

by refthimos

Came across these Deerobust rims. About $1200 built up with Extralite hubs and Sapim Rays. For a tubular rim, they seem to tick all the boxes for a real-world climbing wheel - wide and deep, should pair well with a 25mm tubular, Rule of 105 compliant, 1079g claimed weight. I think I'm going to give them a go.

Deerobust.PNG
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks. How easy is to rebuild Bitex hubs? I found a youtube video on the Novatec and it looked really easy to replace bearings. Searching around, it sounds like Farsport's ED Hub is oem'd by Bitex.

:D
Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:53 pm
For road rim brake hub at least,
Bitex and Ed hub have faster rear hub engagement. If i recall correctly, it's 27 POE on Novatec and 48 on Bitex (24t with 2 sets of 3 pawl-- 6 pawl in total, alternately engage between 2 sets). But i'm not sure about the number.
Novatec hub is quieter though. But i still like Bitex more.
Do not buy the lightest option possible unless you are very light. Larger bearing worth extra weight. Use the one that is rebranded to Bikehubstore Super light hub, not the Ultra light hub.

you pay $70 extra for DT350, gain weight, lose POE down to 18 point (unless you spend even more to upgrade the ratchet). At least it supposed to be more durable. But my Bitex and Novatec hub still going strong after years, and a few crashes that broke some spokes too.
If you want DT-Swiss 350, go with Straight pull version. They somehow isn't very heavy.

Marin

by Marin

Also easy, drive out the bearing using the axle, and press them back in with a matching socket. Heating the hub shell helps. 10 Minute job for the drive side bearing, which is the one you'll be changing every few 1000k if it's a RAR9.

pushstart

by pushstart

My $0.02 is to avoid Bitex/ED ultralight hubs if you are a bigger/stronger rider. I weigh around 80kg and I could make pawls skip on that hub standing out of the saddle on very steep hills.

I definitely don't recommend any of the Bitex disc hubs either if you are similarly sized.

I think I had decent experience with Bitex SL hubs, though (not UL). They obviously weigh more, though.

I don't have any experience with Novatec road hubs, but a fair bit of experience with their disc hubs. They work fine; they skip every now and then on me, but seem to hold up. But I think you kinda get what you're paying for here. I always replace the bearings in cheap Novatec hubs with Enduro or something stainless -- or buy the hubs from BDOP with EZO bearings.

Personally I would pay the extra for DT Swiss. For a road hub POE is basically irrelevant anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Hey guys . It's a bit long sorry :)

(Moderators note) Edit: Post it in one thread, that's enough.