Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

For those who claimed warranty: how did you contact Berk? Their website has no dedicated contact form or email. Did you simply mail to info@berk-composites.com? How long did you wait for response?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:47 pm
Mep wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:34 pm
mrlobber wrote:Hit a small pothole on my commute yesterday (nothing extraordinary compared to what I've hit before), heard a loud crack, and it turned out my Berk Lupina padded rails have separated from the shell on the nose of the saddle. The mileage was at least 5k, rather closer to 10k, so the saddle had definitely experienced some ass abuse already.

Still hoping I can glue them back together with some superglue.
Round or oval rails?
I had this happen over a speedbump, but it happened on one side of the rear (on my third ride)... I do think there is an issue with the adhesive used and maybe the inherant flex of the saddle and the adhesive being too brittle. I used some JB weld for plastics and really lathered it on.. it's been good for a couple months. Superglue is not enough IMHO.
I know of at least 4 Berks within my riding group this has happened to including my last Hlod. Agree with your theory re: adhesive. Jure always replaced the broken saddles.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

My Dila 140 padded is advertised at 90g, however, mine came in at 107g.

I have zero problem with the saddle and use it everyday and LOVE it. But I do think the team at Berk should update their website with real weights.

Much like R2 Bike does, a photo on scales is always a good source of info for the customer.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi to all!
Sorry for the long silence here on the forum, quite a lot of things are happening in the past few months, I also had to do some changes, still somehow learning how to handle everything and just giving our best. Our company is now basicly a team of 7, and a lot of work for me is already to give all the tasks, what needs to be done, manufacturing control, development, shipping, emails etc.,...

ms6073 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:44 pm
KCookie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 pm
years ago he would answer the next day, now the company is growing expect to wait 1-2 weeks for a reply.
Seems to sound familiar to the behavior of now infamous WW vendor. No irons in this fire but Jure needs to work on that if he wants to continue growing his business.
Completely agree with you, I'll also check this forum every few days, or if possible every evening, like I used to do.

Personally I realized that I had at some point too much of everything, and slowly giving away some other tasks/duties that only I made till now, and hopefully it will work well. It really takes some time to answer all the emails, usually around 80-120 emails per day, if you can imagine that I have to travel abroad or have a few days off, then it can take me some time to just answer all the emails. At this moment we are still such a small comapny that I'm still the only one taking care for that. Giving our best and I always take care, although it can take a few days sometimes, so your patience is much appreciated! I won't just dissaperar, don't worry, not my intention and never did that as some of our great customers know. If there are any questions you can ask our dealers or write to us. We work with some great shops which will also be able to recommend you what would be the best saddle for you.

With the company growth we of course face also with some other problems, which we try to handle asap. It can be a saddle which is too heavy (we were contacted and took care for it), or any other problem, but in such case pleae just write to info(a)berk-composites.com or to our dealers and we'll take care. I'll give my best to answer as soon as possible.

As a company we focus on saddles only, that is why we also decided to offer only saddles for now. If we want to put in production new products, then that means basicly "a new company", and I don't want to grow too fast and get out of control, I'm just happy if our customers like our products and we'll give our best. Our saddles are used also by Ljubljana Gusto Santic (former team Radenska, where also I raced, and some other pros you may know - Mezgec, Polanc, Špilak, Pogačar,...) and I'm really happy that we can show that our saddles can be also raced by pro riders

Photo by MARIO STIEHL

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

ryanw wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am
My Dila 140 padded is advertised at 90g, however, mine came in at 107g.

I have zero problem with the saddle and use it everyday and LOVE it. But I do think the team at Berk should update their website with real weights.

Much like R2 Bike does, a photo on scales is always a good source of info for the customer.
Sorry for that, we really have to check it because it is also possible that something was done wrong, I'll meet with the guy who can take care for the website and sort all the details. The weight is really put wrong on the website, that weight is for the full carbon saddle and not padded (as I see there is really no difference on the website between padded and full carbon). Sorry for that, we'll take care!

Verbal

by Verbal

Hi, I use a Berk list for feu kilometers but I need some setup advice.
Do you setup level from all the lengh of the saddle ?
First I just level from the noise and I have an important « kick ».
Where do you spot the anatomic center from the noise ?
Thanks for your help

coresare

by coresare

Depending on where the seatpost clamps the rails, when you sit on it, the saddle will actually tilt nose down or up. This makes trying to level it without weight on it a little inaccurate. My advice is to sit on it and make adjustments so it feels level. You will be able to tell because you wont slide forward after riding and find yourself pushing yourself back. Nose up, you will feel too much pressure in the soft tissue. Where you sit on it is up to you. Normally people sit back enough where they just barely feel their thighs touch the 'wings' of the saddle.

maxice

by maxice

Has anyone had any issues with the saddle leather dye coming off? Mine has done c500 miles and the front section is now grey??

welchy

by welchy

maxice wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 am
Has anyone had any issues with the saddle leather dye coming off? Mine has done c500 miles and the front section is now grey??
Yes having the same issue here, thinking whether to use some black polish etc to bring it back but don’t fancy turning all my bibs polish black :noidea:

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Maybe consider an arts and crafts store and get black leather die and foam brush applicator. Can maybe spot test.

maxice

by maxice

welchy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:11 am
maxice wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 am
Yes having the same issue here, thinking whether to use some black polish etc to bring it back but don’t fancy turning all my bibs polish black :noidea:
Same here, but you shouldn’t need to do this for a
Saddle that is a few months old!

This is my second one too, first one was scratched and it had a small hole in the leather.

Whilst it’s the most comfortable saddle I’ve tried the quality control isn’t so good

Ruben58

by Ruben58

Hey jure, any chance we’ll be seeing a saddle with the rails and shell in one piece like the pro stealth super light or cadex boost from you?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Ruben58 wrote:Hey jure, any chance we’ll be seeing a saddle with the rails and shell in one piece like the pro stealth super light or cadex boost from you?
Am curious about why you'll like to have that option; repairs are much easier if they are 2 separate pieces..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ruben58

by Ruben58

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 pm
Ruben58 wrote:Hey jure, any chance we’ll be seeing a saddle with the rails and shell in one piece like the pro stealth super light or cadex boost from you?
Am curious about why you'll like to have that option; repairs are much easier if they are 2 separate pieces..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yes, but it is also the point where A LOT of them break. I’d much rather have a sound construction that does not break than an easily repairable one.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi to all,
if there are any doubts or questions just drop us an email info@berk-composites.com. The leather cover of course wears after some use, it depends from all kind of conditions. We are also considering synthetic materials, but for now we stick with leather which is a natural material and of course there are some differences from each piece.
Ruben58 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:12 am
Hey jure, any chance we’ll be seeing a saddle with the rails and shell in one piece like the pro stealth super light or cadex boost from you?
Yes we also already made some steps in that way - but we don't want to adjust the design to the manufacturing process. Some saddle manufacturers do that and in the end the saddle has to be slightly changed, which can be ugly or not as good as two separate parts. Our Lupina saddle for example can't be done like that because the shape itself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com