Factor O2 VAM (2023) Trying to go sub 6.5kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LMBike

by LMBike

Hello everyone!

I bought a more or less custom built Factor O2 VAM at the end of last year and was honestly quite disappointed with the weight, when I got it back home.

It is built up with ENVE SES 2.3 and Conti GP5k STR 28mm set up tubeless
It has Rotor components, carbon cranks, with the insipder power meter, the back end is SRAM RED, as are the shifters. I went with the climbing black inc handlebar.

Current weight with pedals (Speedplay nano) is 6.8kg on the dot.
I've already changed to a light weight saddle (Selle Italia C59) and exchanged the brake rotors for Carbon TI ones.
I was hoping for 6.5kg at the very least, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what is causing the weight to be so high right now. I realise I could save some weight by going to super light handlebars and maybe even go for carbon chain rings. But obviously the online reviewers haven't done that and easily got to 6.5kg without pedals.

I have attached some pictures down below just so you have something to look at. I really hope some of you can help me out here and find the missing piece to get this bike to at least somewhat light territory!

Thanks!
Those photos were taken during a ride with my gf who was on the Factor. I was riding the Aeroad. So I had flat pedals mounted to the Factor. That is obviously not the normal setup and those things are heavy as hell and make the bike almost as heavy as my Aeroad.. :D
Bikes1.jpg
Bikes2.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Laying the bikes down like that is CRIMINAL

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LMBike

by LMBike

No worries, they were resting on the tires and the bar tape. No scratches!

Nixster

by Nixster

Well Rotor plus Inspider is not a lightweight option tbh.
Red arms with Quarq is significantly lighter and cheaper, and you can also save weight on the rings as you suggest.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the crank is heavy. chainrings won't save much weight but everything counts (may save 60 grams with carbon to rings). could save some weight with a darimo seatpost but finish quality will not be as nice as the factor. also i would switch out the bars for lighter ones and go with non integrated to save significant weight like an older version bontrsger xxx bar stem combo.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Can you give us frame and fork weights? My rim brake size 56 2020 O2 Vam was 750gm for the frame and 269gm for the cut fork.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

LMBike

by LMBike

So frame weight should be ~720g EDIT: I just realised you were asking for the actual measured weights. I'm afraid I don't know those, since I've never seen the bike not fully built.
Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about fork weight.
Regarding the Rotor components: The bike shop where I got this from assured me, that the Rotor components are lighter than the original RED stuff. I just checked online and indeed, the crankset seems to be about 200g heavier, which is, to be honest, really disappointing. Once again shows, why you should do everything yourself instead of trusting someone else to do it. Since this would have been my first bike build, I didn't want to risk building up such an expensive one. The shop people did appear to be competent and when we chose the parts, he kept checking his laptop, apparently looking up the weights.

Would it theoretically be possible to swap the SRAM Red crankset on my Aeroad with the crankset on the Factor? The Aeroad has a different BB standard, so not sure how that works to be honest.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I have to admit I feel like I got a very bad treatment at the bike shop now..

Edit2: So I just looked up the individual parts, because I thought it might be possible to just change the crank arms to SRAM and apparently the Rotor crank arms are much lighter than the SRAM crank arms. I'm honestly a bit confused now..Does anyone here know for a fact, which crank set is actually lighter?

Edit3: According to seller's website:

Rotor inspider crankset with the carbon cranks: 667g
SRAM Red with Quarq Power meter: 630g

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Depends if it's a sram red DUB or GXP. DUB is about as light as you get before THM. GXP is heavy
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

So.. ways to save weight:
Bar/stem - Darimo Nexum/Nexum Drag

Hubs - which hubs do you have? Going to tactic with carbon spokes would be around a 1000g wheel.

Bottle cages - Bjorn or alpitude

Change to Dura Ace for shifting

Crankset - SRM THm or save a load of money and SRAM red with quarq and CarbonTi rings. (If going DA sand down the crank to remove sram logos)
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Darimo loop seatpost has great cost/weight savings ratio.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am
Darimo loop seatpost has great cost/weight savings ratio.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
The frame is an ISP.....
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

LMBike

by LMBike

So the whole Rotor systems is basically the same weight as the SRAM Red system, but I'll check to make sure.
My wheels are already reasonably light at 1100g, but I can shave another 150g off of that by changing the spokes and nipples, which I will do.
I'll swap my Garmin mount for a custom 3d printed one, which will save a bit of weight as well.
Tyres will be switched to GP5k TT tyres. So all in all this should get me 250g of weight. So only 50g off.
Can that be saved with changing bolts for example?

LMBike

by LMBike

CustomMetal wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:41 am
So.. ways to save weight:
Bar/stem - Darimo Nexum/Nexum Drag

Hubs - which hubs do you have? Going to tactic with carbon spokes would be around a 1000g wheel.

Bottle cages - Bjorn or alpitude

Change to Dura Ace for shifting

Crankset - SRM THm or save a load of money and SRAM red with quarq and CarbonTi rings. (If going DA sand down the crank to remove sram logos)
So I will indeed switch to carbon spokes and aluminum nipples. That will save me 150g. Changing to Dura Ace for shifting is not really something I want to do, because I prefer SRAM a lot and it's also a rather big investment again. The second big thing is actually changing the tyres. There's probably another 100g or so in there, if I switch to the TT tyres. My bottle cages are already carbon, so I don't think that would really do much, to be honest. I thought about using lighter thru axles maybe?

LMBike

by LMBike

CustomMetal wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:37 am
Depends if it's a sram red DUB or GXP. DUB is about as light as you get before THM. GXP is heavy
Also I just checked again online and it really does seem like the Rotor set is basically the same weight. Am I missing something here?

SRAM:

Technical specifications:

Material crank: carbon
Shaft: SRAM DUB | 28.99 mm
Crank arm length: 170; 172.5 or 175 mm
Compatibility bottom bracket: SRAM DUB Road (optional, not included)
Material spider: aluminum
Waterproof: yes, IPX7
Measurement: both sides
Technology: SRAM AXS, Quarq Power Meter
Data transfer: ANT + and Bluetooth
Power supply: CR2032 battery
Battery life: up to 200 hours
Firmware updates: yes, Qalvin BLE app
bolt circle diameter : 110 mm | 5-hole
Chainring gradation: 52-36 teeth
Compatibility drive: 2x 11-speed
Color: Black
Finish: UD carbon, glossy

Weight according to the manufacturer: n / a
Weight weighed: 630g (without chainrings)

Rotor: 667g with chainrings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Message Rhino's workshop on instagram. He will have had some of the red quarqs on the scales so can tell you. Overfast thru axels for light thru axels
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC