Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 (rim brake) - rebirth!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Roel W wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:49 pm
Wait a minute; I see a 12-speed Ultegra R8100 chainset. So Canyon provided you an Ultegra R8100 DI2 12-speed group but you still use rim brake calipers? How is this possible as mechanical R8100 shifters doesn't exist?

12 speed Ultegra R8100 and Duraace R9200 does exist with mechanical braking/electronic shifting. It's not popular at all and can now be found at a good discount since no one is really building up rim brake bikes anymore.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ ... 2x12-speed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:33 pm

12 speed Ultegra R8100 and Duraace R9200 does exist with mechanical braking/electronic shifting. It's not popular at all and can now be found at a good discount since no one is really building up rim brake bikes anymore.

Thanks for the info. I just completely changed my SL6 build plans because of you :beerchug:

mmaslen

by mmaslen

The whole group set was upgraded at cost by canyon to full di2 Ultegra but the rim brake version. As they had no normal frames available, only ones for electric group sets.

flying

by flying

mmaslen wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:46 am
Canyon did everything in their power NOT to stand by their product. There were a lot of emails, and phone conversations, with me eventually threatening to take them to court and also showing the various similar faliures that had happened to the same frames across the country. Eventually they backed down. But it was worth the fight to get the frame in the end. I had no desire to go along the disc brake route. Im not a racer, and i dont need them. Ive never thought the bike was holding me back...just the engine on top!

Man sorry to hear that but glad you prevailed in the end :thumbup:

mmaslen

by mmaslen

So I have finally bit the bullet and ordered the final piece of my weight weenie journey...cranksets

I was tossing up between a incolor Skypivot and cybrei crankset. Both from panda podium. But then I thought sod it....and ordered the THM clavicula and carbon ti chainrings!

Just waiting for them to arrive in the new year. Just need to work out what to do on the bottom bracket front, as I really have no knowledge of these, weight and quality. Just not sure what to do.

According to my calculations weight should reduce by 285g. This should put the whole build about 6.1kg including pedals and bottle cages.

If anyone can advise on BB to use with my frame and the THMs, would be most appreciated. Lighter the better obviously, but must be top quality.

Weights and pictures to follow when the cranks and rings arrive.

Merry Xmas to me!

mmaslen

by mmaslen

So the cranks and chain rings eventually turned up.

And I really understand now why everyone wants THM cranks. What a beautiful bit of engineering.
IMG_2728.jpeg
The carbon ti rings were the perfect addition and will look perfect next to the new cranks. I have also purchased the carbon ti crank bolts to suit as well.
IMG_2730.jpeg

mmaslen

by mmaslen

I also forgot to add, I purchased the THM bottom bracket to suit. I wanted to make sure everything played together correctly!

mmaslen

by mmaslen

Cranks and chainrings all fitted now. I am super happy with the final look of the bike. And it just squeezed under 6kg, which I am thrilled about. This was always my target. Now to get a break in the weather for a good ride!
IMG_2835.jpeg
240472ab-3289-41a6-a466-7835edbb4e1f.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg
One final thing to do...apply sticker!
66CB2A10-91BB-426B-9CA7-EEBBE980680E.jpeg

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Love the bike and the components. Well done. It is nice to see a rim brake bike here and a beautiful as well!!!

flying

by flying

That came out really nice! I would take this over anything new these days! Good Job! :beerchug:

mmaslen

by mmaslen

Thanks for the comments. I love the bike, there is nothing I would rather have! I have my dream bike...time to enjoy it!

Just wish it would stop raining!

mmaslen

by mmaslen

First ride once the weather finally broke.

My LBS fitted the cranks and chainrings for me and made sure the front gearing changed perfectly. And boy is it crisp. No difference to the ultegra smoothness of the shimano crankset.

The bike is now just how I wanted it and rides up hills very very well. One thing of note is the wheels. So so light, and very very stiff compared to previous sets I have ridden. The carbon spokes make it incredibly stiff and responsive and they spin up and hold speed very well. I may be getting old, but maybe too stiff, maybe a bit more compliance with a wheelset next time!

But I'm happy, only one thing to do and that's remove a few spacers and cut the steerer tube, this is for rider position rather than weight saving. Feel I can lose a couple of spacer and still be comfortable. I can then cut the steerer tube as well.

Has anyone got any recommendations for any 3d printed spacers? Might as well replace the ones I'm using with lighter ones.

flying

by flying

mmaslen wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:22 am
I may be getting old, but maybe too stiff, maybe a bit more compliance with a wheelset next time!
Glad it is all working well for you. Bike looks great! :thumbup:

About the stiffness/age etc yeah as I am now older I also realize some compliance is not a bad thing.
I usually keep a bike 6 or more years & only ever own one at a time. But after decades of riding I am leaning towards my next
build being steel for that compliance & I will not even mind an extra 4-500gr :wink: I know not very WW but :noidea: