Ribble/Campagnolo disc bike. A die hard rim braker's first disc brake build!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Yoln

by Yoln

Really appreciate the content of this post, and I don't feel like writing an argument as constructed as yours.

But I read you initial post during the preparation of my build (you can check my Wilier Cento Pro build) with H11, and you almost discouraged me to keep going.

I'm not a mechanic, and that was only my 3rd build, and first one with discs. Though, everything went perfectly fine, and I love the discs. It brakes much much better than my previous carbon Mavics with pads, even when dry, and night and day when raining.

They are perfectly silent, I've had to realign them twice over the first 1500km, every time after a back and forth from trainer to wheel, and it takes only 30secs to readjust with the Hayes alignement tool.

Maybe I was just lucky, I'm starting a second build with H11 again on a Ti Lynskey this time, I'll keep you guys posted...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

Yoln wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 am
Really appreciate the content of this post, and I don't feel like writing an argument as constructed as yours.

But I read you initial post during the preparation of my build (you can check my Wilier Cento Pro build) with H11, and you almost discouraged me to keep going.

I'm not a mechanic, and that was only my 3rd build, and first one with discs. Though, everything went perfectly fine, and I love the discs. It brakes much much better than my previous carbon Mavics with pads, even when dry, and night and day when raining.

They are perfectly silent, I've had to realign them twice over the first 1500km, every time after a back and forth from trainer to wheel, and it takes only 30secs to readjust with the Hayes alignement tool.

Maybe I was just lucky, I'm starting a second build with H11 again on a Ti Lynskey this time, I'll keep you guys posted...
I think it just shows how sensitive disc brake setup seems to be and how they've been designed for the road they perhaps don't suit every environment. In the UK we have generally wet winters and the quieter roads which are small lanes are invariably very gritty/ muddy. This seemed to be a source of huge amounts of noise with that wet/ gritty water spraying up when not even braking. But I wonder whether braking in those conditions then caused the discs to un-bed in some way. Braking performance continued to be a disappointment no matter how many times or methods I used to bed the discs and pads in but I was only ever using them in wet conditions. I'm glad to have moved on from it and to rim brakes again and was delighted to have sold every item related to the disc bike and after building up the new one came out in the black slightly :D

beanbiken

by beanbiken

kgt wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:18 am
Interesting!
Hmm, thank you. Still on RB’s x3. Most likely next build to be DB’s but seems that may be a while off. Yes better to sell RB stuff now but the current DB kit leaves a bit to be desired :cry:
BB

Coffee & carbon

Miller

by Miller

What I've found: disc brakes work fine. Tubeless works fine. But you'd never guess that reading web forums.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Agree with above.

Built several bikes now with disc and all the issues were down to inexperience.

This thread taught me one thing never buy Ribble.

I bought a cheap Merlin frame and apart from first one being cracked (replaced in 5 days) I had no issues bar a weird headset. For the money Ribble charge for their frames I'd expect perfection.

Looks a nice bike but I couldn't live with imperfections!